Just saw W. today

Adam

I found it interesting, although I am more than skeptical about the accuracy of some of the scenes. If that scene where Clinton won the election was accurate, then shame on W.

I applaud George H.W. Bush for choosing the high road in that campaign (at least from what I remember as I was a bit young), taking integrity over re-election. I have a feeling that not taking out Saddam hurt him, as violence tends to be the only thing that people take notice of 'round here. In retrospect, that move was visionary.

I found it interesting, although I am more than skeptical about the accuracy of some of the scenes. If that scene where Clinton won the election was accurate, then shame on W.

I applaud George H.W. Bush for choosing the high road in that campaign (at least from what I remember as I was a bit young), taking integrity over re-election. I have a feeling that not taking out Saddam hurt him, as violence tends to be the only thing that people take notice of 'round here. In retrospect, that move was visionary.

I have a lot of respect for George H.W. Bush. He had a tough road. I remember how upset he was when his son got so much flack and it made me think on the situation. I suppose they all do the best they can.

Bush is a hugely underrated President IMO. I don't think he had the patience for another nasty campaign and think it galled him that he had to defend his record against a neophyte like Clinton.

He managed the end of the cold war, he handled Desert Storm correctly, his controversial budget in '90 was the right move and put us on the path to pulling us out of recession (he would have been reelected if the recovery had been 3-6 months soon) and fixing the S&L mess.

I have a lot of respect for George H.W. Bush. He had a tough road. I remember how upset he was when his son got so much flack and it made me think on the situation. I suppose they all do the best they can.

Some don't. Nixon springs most immediately to mind.

Most I think are well-meaning, at least. Including Bush the Younger.

Lol wat?

Yes, anyone who's father hands them everything in life on a silver platter definitely has a hard road.

Flew Avengers off fast carriers in WWII. Was shot down. Got a Silver Star, I believe.

He wasn't handed everything.

Most I think are well-meaning, at least. Including Bush the Younger.

didn't nixon bring about an end to the Vietnam mistake among other things? even carter did something positive.

I think there is a decent chance that the younger Bush may have had a mediocre presidency if we hadn't invaded Iraq- and in my opinion mediocre is what one shoots for in that position. Great ones only come every few generations

Flew Avengers off fast carriers in WWII. Was shot down. Got a Silver Star, I believe.

He wasn't handed everything.

Distinguished Flying Cross and three air medals. HE put off college to go fight after Pearl Harbor took place.

I wonder if Conner would put off lunch to help someone in need, let alone put off an Ivy League education to go fight in a war.

Bush is a hugely underrated President IMO. I don't think he had the patience for another nasty campaign and think it galled him that he had to defend his record against a neophyte like Clinton.

He managed the end of the cold war, he handled Desert Storm correctly, his controversial budget in '90 was the right move and put us on the path to pulling us out of recession (he would have been reelected if the recovery had been 3-6 months soon) and fixing the S&L mess.

Losing Lee Atwater was a pretty big part, too. Bush the Elder was a decent president.

I'd add LBJ to this list.

To say nothing of any of his links to the assassination... his micromanagement of Vietnam did almost as much to kill our troops as the VC.

My uncle --- who was 1/2 mile from the DMZ at the start of Tet --- has vowed that before he dies, he will eat several bowlfuls of five-alarm chili before sitting on LBJ's grave, and just let it ooze out all over the stone. He'll be arrested, of course, but he's on 100 percent mental disability with the VA, so the lawyer can plead insanity and vouchsafe, it won't be a lie.

To say nothing of any of his links to the assassination... his micromanagement of Vietnam did almost as much to kill our troops as the VC.

I agree with you on LBJ's micromanagement of the war, but what is this BS about the JFK assassination?

Get hold of the the history channel show that was on in November and repeated a week or so ago. A guy built a model of Dealy Plaza on a computer and then took the Zapruder film and digitized Kennedy, Connely and the car. With that he could "see" the assassination from anyviews. This showed that Oswald was the only gunman and that the "magic bullet" did go through Kennedy and Connely. This show also talked to Oswald's brother and a woman that was a good friend of Oswald's wife back then. They both said that it was him alone.

Another show I saw showed that if there was a shot from the grassy knoll, it would have hit & probably killed Jackie too.

What is so hard for the conspiracy theorists believing that one crazy guy did it?

I agree with you on LBJ's micromanagement of the war, but what is this BS about the JFK assassination?

Get hold of the the history channel show that was on in November and repeated a week or so ago. A guy built a model of Dealy Plaza on a computer and then took the Zapruder film and digitized Kennedy, Connely and the car. With that he could "see" the assassination from anyviews. This showed that Oswald was the only gunman and that the "magic bullet" did go through Kennedy and Connely. This show also talked to Oswald's brother and a woman that was a good friend of Oswald's wife back then. They both said that it was him alone.

Another show I saw showed that if there was a shot from the grassy knoll, it would have hit & probably killed Jackie too.

What is so hard for the conspiracy theorists believing that one crazy guy did it?

Please. :unsure:

I think we all know that it was the gay Cubans. That much is obvious.

Although, it did make for a great Seinfeld episode.

Like JFK?

I find it funny that so many people bring up JFK. All accounts I have heard of him refer to him being somewhat of a transformational president, but below average as well. I have yet to hear somebody call him a good or great president.

I remember Bush Sr. and Reagan being very dignified presidents from my early years- I don't remember much at all about Carter other than not understanding the whole hostage crisis issue (and I remember a wild celebration in my homeroom class the day they were released).

At least from what the movie portrays, George Bush Jr. seems like he was a decent man who had a vision of how the world should be- that vision was used by his cabinet, particularly the vice president (and this is going from the movie, sine we'll never know) to do some pretty bad things. All in all, I can't find a person that can name a republican president that did a poorer job in office than Bush Jr. did. Not all of it was his fault, but it is what it is......

I said "to say nothing of" it. Doesn't mean I'm a conspiracy theorist. But, at the same time, I'm not prepared to put anything past that sleazy POS and his personal agenda / ambition. We'll never know the whole truth.

Hello...it's a movie, it's fictional.

Didn't I say I questioned the accuracy of some of the scenes? :unsure:

I was getting on the way they had him going off on his father when he lost to Clinton. If that happened, he was a POS. As it is, he paled in comparison to his father.

Didn't I say I questioned the accuracy of some of the scenes? :unsure:

I was getting on the way they had him going off on his father when he lost to Clinton. If that happened, he was a POS. As it is, he paled in comparison to his father.

Well, I won't comment further on at this time. I refuse to pay to see it. What I remember most about the elder Bush was him giving into the democrats who were practically begging him to allow a tax increase, and then villifying him in his re-election attempt for going back on his statement, "Read my lips, no new taxes." They still make fun of him about that.