Does anyone remember the XFL?

I went to a game. March 3, 2001 Los Angeles Xtreme vs the NY/NJ Hitmen at Giants Stadium. I went on a bus trip from Albany. Jerry Crafts was on the Xtreme. I went mainly because I never went to a USFL game & regretted it. I still have the program from that XFL game.

I remember the XFL well. I thought it was going to be a success...at first.

I think what happened is that it wasn't run very well. Vince McMahon sunk millions of his own money into the league. They tried to change some rules on the fly during the season, and it never recovered. Plus, the quality of football just flat-out sucked. In fact, I think that the WWE is still trying to recover from the hit it took.

I agree with what Bill Simmons wrote one time; McMahon had the right concept, but the wrong sport. If he had tried it with hockey, it would have succeeded. Wildly. :wallbash:

I think what happened is that it wasn't run very well. Vince McMahon sunk millions of his own money into the league. They tried to change some rules on the fly during the season, and it never recovered. Plus, the quality of football just flat-out sucked. In fact, I think that the WWE is still trying to recover from the hit it took.

I agree with what Bill Simmons wrote one time; McMahon had the right concept, but the wrong sport. If he had tried it with hockey, it would have succeeded. Wildly. :wallbash:

I was wondering how much Vince made after I saw all of those salaries. It made even more sense because there was only 8 teams.

I believe he paid around an average of $4,000 to each player. Each team had around 40 players in the XFL. There were also winning bonuses which added up ALOT!!!!

The payment concept was amazing because the players were playing for their paycheck but apparently they had to purchase their own health insurance plan lol

Vinces wallet must have been alot lighter after the XFL

I liked it, too!

I think the problem was that the McMahon name was involved, and they used WWE announcers for games. it linked it too much to Pro Wrestling so people just figgured it was fixed and "Redneck" sothey wouldn'tsupport it. If Vince would have kept it seperate and stayed a silent partner while having someone else be the "face" ofthe league, it may have ahd some success, especially with the price of the NFL now and the higher salaries for players

IIRC, the whole idea was to take everything the fans bitched about with the NFL like cracking down on endzone celebrations uniform standards, yada yada yada...

I saw about 10 minutes of a game once and it proved how well the NFL is run. Fans may not think they like everything but when I saw it the way the fans wanted to see it I saw how awful it was. :wallbash:

The football was somewhere between high school and college level. It was funny/horrible especially with the announcers. It was like the WWF of football leagues.

I could have gone seen the Birmingham team when I was in Alabama that spring, but skipped it.

One thing the NFL got from the XFL was the camera over the field. I'm a little surprised they haven't tried the camera man on the field yet.

I knew they jumped the shark when watching one weekend and they kept hyping that they were going to include a camera man in the cheerleader locker room at halftime, and it ended up being another bad WWE skit, where the camera man that was supposed to go in, got knocked out somehow and the 'report' ended up being his dream fantasy of what it would be like.

I remember when Maddox won the championship with LA

Corey Ivy was a leader in interceptions with 5

and Rod Smart was HE HATE ME

anyone?!

Mark Maddox? Formerly #55 with the Bills? The deeply religious Mark Maddox? Seriously? :thumbsup:

Mark Maddox? Formerly #55 with the Bills? The deeply religious Mark Maddox? Seriously? :thumbsup:

QB Tommy Maddox-the XFL springboarded him back to the NFL where he ended up starting for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

One time HBO's Arliss did a parody of the XFL where Kirby got a job as a coach. The league in the Arliss episode had a slogan "Big hits and big t*ts" If you remember the XFL, you'll remember the cheerleaders, who looked & acted like they were recruited from the local strip joints. I think Flutie was in that episode & the league was trying to sign him.

I knew they jumped the shark when watching one weekend and they kept hyping that they were going to include a camera man in the cheerleader locker room at halftime, and it ended up being another bad WWE skit, where the camera man that was supposed to go in, got knocked out somehow and the 'report' ended up being his dream fantasy of what it would be like.

That could have changed American television...and the XFL crapped out on it. :unsure: