Can Bell play LG?

I really liked this guy in the preseason. He has some really good feet, quickness, and only lacked the nfl strength and the ability to read defenses. With Chambers re-signed doesn't that put the max value of D Bell at LG? superb talent could flourish in a zone scheme. What do you guys think? I like it... I say re-sign Preston due to the fact he will be cheap and hope Bell gets it... I'm not saying they shouldn't draft someone or sign another guy, but I'd hate to see them overpay when the most talent might be in house...

I think we will have to wait until training camp to evaluate whether Bell is ready to take on anything other than a reserve role. However, i agree that he showed positive signs in preseason, and i think with added strength he could contend for a starting spot. He certainly has the lineage to do so.

Bell, as you point out, has great feet and quickness, but lacked in pure strength.

So... why would you put a guy like that in the trenches where he's expected to move people? Doesn't make sense.

He's had a full year to add muscle to his frame, and i think the Bills training staff would have made it a priority for him.

Totally depends on if he has stuck to the workout regime... He wasn't weak was he? Just not a tank yet...

i think he only put up a dozen or so reps during the combine. He is very athletic though, i believe he was a basketball player in college.

The last person I want to block Vince Wilfork is a weak 6' 5" tackle who has never started a game.

I like Bell as a project, nothing more. Give him some more time to bulk up, and we may have our replacement when Walker is nearing the end of his deal.

He's had a full year to add muscle to his frame, and i think the Bills training staff would have made it a priority for him.

How do you know they've been grooming him for a guard position and adding muscle onto his frame?

It doesn't make sense to me. At LT, you need a big guy who has great quickness and great feet to match up with the speed rushers in the NFL these days. It is rare to find a guy like that. Bell has those abilities and natural talent, and it would be a waste to throw them away by bulking him up and shoving him into a guard position. If we wanted a slob to play guard, we would have drafted one or signed one. I don't think Bell is our man there.

The last person I want to block Vince Wilfork is a weak 6' 5" tackle who has never started a game.

I like Bell as a project, nothing more. Give him some more time to bulk up, and we may have our replacement when Walker is nearing the end of his deal.

I agree with you, but I wonder how much more he can bulk up. He is listed at 6'5" and 307. How much more weight can he put on. Should he be 320 or so? Just wondering

I think that we all can agree that he is a guy that will be interesting to watch. He already has a very impressive story and ultimately is a guy that deserves to be rooted for. I am a fan and I hope his athletic ability and strong will turn him into a fine pro...

How do you know they've been grooming him for a guard position and adding muscle onto his frame?

It doesn't make sense to me. At LT, you need a big guy who has great quickness and great feet to match up with the speed rushers in the NFL these days. It is rare to find a guy like that. Bell has those abilities and natural talent, and it would be a waste to throw them away by bulking him up and shoving him into a guard position. If we wanted a slob to play guard, we would have drafted one or signed one. I don't think Bell is our man there.

He still needs to gain a lot of strength, and i don't think they have been grooming him to play LT. I think it's either RT or one of the guard positions.

I agree with you, but I wonder how much more he can bulk up. He is listed at 6'5" and 307. How much more weight can he put on. Should he be 320 or so? Just wondering

I would want him to follow the Jason Peters method of bulking up (however he did it). He didn't just get fat for the hell of it, he got stronger while keeping his athleticism.

much of that has got to be fat... i think they will try to convert that weight to muscle, rather than adding to it.

I really liked this guy in the preseason. He has some really good feet, quickness, and only lacked the nfl strength and the ability to read defenses. With Chambers re-signed doesn't that put the max value of D Bell at LG? superb talent could flourish in a zone scheme. What do you guys think? I like it... I say re-sign Preston due to the fact he will be cheap and hope Bell gets it... I'm not saying they shouldn't draft someone or sign another guy, but I'd hate to see them overpay when the most talent might be in house...

Good point. I think that he's an X factor that not too many around here can get a clear reading on. Who knows maybe we do already have this position address with someone already on the roster.

I think we will have to wait until training camp to evaluate whether Bell is ready to take on anything other than a reserve role. However, i agree that he showed positive signs in preseason, and i think with added strength he could contend for a starting spot. He certainly has the lineage to do so.

Totally depends on if he has stuck to the workout regime... He wasn't weak was he? Just not a tank yet...

I'd be interested in reading anything on the developement and status of our current players. I wonder where we can find this information.

Do you work for the Bills FO? Sounds like a stupid, poor man's way to building an oline. Not unlie the experiment of moving Mike Williams to guard. He was still an overpaid ineffective lineman. Bell's size makes him a better tackle. He is still unproven.

Do you work for the Bills FO? Sounds like a stupid, poor man's way to building an oline. Not unlie the experiment of moving Mike Williams to guard. He was still an overpaid ineffective lineman. Bell's size makes him a better tackle. He is still unproven.

he must be really good because his dad is famous :thumbsup:

how hard can it possibly be to play OL in the NFL

This is his 2nd year, he is ready to be a stud

that 7th round draft slot was just a mirage and will have no bearing on his excellence.

his only drawback for the Bills is that they were not able to convert him from TE like other studs like Matt Murphy