Michael Clayton's contract with the Bucs

Fingon

per rotoworld

"Michael Clayton's new five-year contract with Tampa Bay has a base value of $24 million. The deal includes $10.5 million in guarantees.

They severely overpaid. Clayton, who can make another $2M via incentives, is virtually certain to start opposite Antonio Bryant at this rate. The 27-year-old has not caught more than 38 passes in a season since 2004."

wonder how Cole's deal will compare to this.

Man, I seriously thought Clayton was going to be the next "elite" WR in the NFL. I was telling everyone who would listen when he came out of college, and gloated all the way through his fantastic rookie season.

Then...open mouth...insert foot.

I still cant tell what happened to the guy, even the injuries he suffered through shouldnt have derailed his career that badly.

Also to put that inflated contract into perspective...Josh Reed has twice as many TDs then Michael Clayton has since 2005.

Tampa's just trying to get back to the cap floor, apparently. Clayton's had Royal-esque numbers lately - last year was his best since his rookie season in 2004, and he manage 38 catches for 484 yards. And his only touchdown since 2006.

Man, I seriously thought Clayton was going to be the next "elite" WR in the NFL. I was telling everyone who would listen when he came out of college, and gloated all the way through his fantastic rookie season.

Then...open mouth...insert foot.

I still cant tell what happened to the guy, even the injuries he suffered through shouldnt have derailed his career that badly.

Also to put that inflated contract into perspective...Josh Reed has twice as many TDs then Michael Clayton has since 2005.

What derailed his career was Gruden. He got in Gruden's Doghouse & when a player goes there he NEVER gets out. If Gruden were still in Tampa, Clayton would not be.

This could impact Cole's thinking about his value. Interesting.

We can afford to give Coles an average of $4.5 to $5M a year over three or four years if we want him. I know everyone will scream that's overpaying -- but if we want him -- Tampa just gave the Bills FO cover to overpay a bit.

The key for Coles is he gave up $6M guaranteed with the Jets for 09. He wants a bit more to justify him asking for his release.

I would be comfortable with something like...

3 years $13 Million with a $6.5M signing bonus and maybe $1M in year 1, $2M in year two, and $3.5M in year 3 ...it looks cheap compared to Clayton and we will get more productivity.

What derailed his career was Gruden. He got in Gruden's Doghouse & when a player goes there he NEVER gets out. If Gruden were still in Tampa, Clayton would not be.

hmm... If Gruden sabotages #1 receivers... i don't want him here.

I was HAPPY when the Bucs got him & he WON The Super Bowl out of the Gate but I think the vast majority of Bucs fans were happy to see him go this year.

You are absolutely correct on both accounts. Nice job!

He would be an upgrade over dead Dickie J.

I would agree. He will probably be GOOD for 2-3 years but his act gets OLD after that. Gruden has been called a two faced lier & phony by a number of Bucs including Keyshawn Johnson, Keenen McCardell, Simeon Rice & Michael Clayton. The Glazers determined he no longer had the respect of the locker room & that is the reason he was fired. The players all did respect his knowledge as a coach however.