BILLS OFFERING MORE $ FOR COLES...(speculation)

I've said this a milllllllllllllion times on this board. The players get taxed on where the ACTUAL game is played. They get state income tax in now only 7 buffalo games and the rest are where the game is played.

I really don't think that, to these guys, that's much more money. And since the standard of living in Buffalo is so much cheaper than almost any other NFL city, they probably make that money back in the long run.

Lets put this issue to rest now.

Where did you get this from? A Truck Driver from NY can drive all over the Country but he will still have to pay NY State Income Tax.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this a milllllllllllllion times on this board. The players get taxed on where the ACTUAL game is played. They get state income tax in now only 7 buffalo games and the rest are where the game is played.

I really don't think that, to these guys, that's much more money. And since the standard of living in Buffalo is so much cheaper than almost any other NFL city, they probably make that money back in the long run.

Lets put this issue to rest now.

That sounds like the biggest load of sh-t i've heard in a while.

agreed

Athletes typically file taxes in two states, if they reside in another state. Taxes get filed in the state of thier HOME games and where they reside the rest of the year.

As far as I know there are two ways that athletes can prorate the income. The first is to prorate it by number of games... If someobody lived in Florida in the offseason and played for the Bills, they'd file 7/16ths of their income in NY and 9/16ths in Florida. The other option to figure out "Duty Days". They figure out how many days their duties were required (traning camps, preseason, season, playoffs, etc) and how many of thier duty days were spent in NY. Then they prorate the income respectively.

Using the first method of "Games Played", it's to the players advantage that Buffalo plays one game in Toronto if they live in a state has lower income tax rates.

Do you know if he is in Miami today?

No reports of such, that I can find.

But, it isn't as if these guys HAVE to visit a team, before signing. I mean, he's been to Miami and played in Miami.

It does seem a little odd, though, that Miami is considered the front runner, and they have yet to bring him to town (as far as we know).

But, it isn't as if these guys HAVE to visit a team, before signing. I mean, he's been to Miami and played in Miami.

It does seem a little odd, though, that Miami is considered the front runner, and they have yet to bring him to town (as far as we know).

One initial reporting speculated that Coles turned down a quite generous offer from the Jets because he already had a deal in place with another team.(Dolphins)

His visit to Buffalo was considered smoke screen to avoid the look of tampering by the Dolphins.

We shall see today. Will he go for the money, or does he want to be on a team striving to win a championship, if he picks the latter he wont be a Buffalo Bill.

Whats a bit frustrating to me is that they're considered the frontrunner, but I'm not even sure if they're the least bit interested in him! As far as we know to this point, the Dolphins' interest is just outside speculation. To my knowledge (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), there still has not been a single report that Miami has as much as placed a phone call. The Bills still may be running a one-horse race here.

One initial reporting speculated that Coles turned down a quite generous offer from the Jets because he already had a deal in place with another team.(Dolphins)

His visit to Buffalo was considered smoke screen to avoid the look of tampering by the Dolphins.

We shall see today. Will he go for the money, or does he want to be on a team striving to win a championship, if he picks the latter he wont be a Buffalo Bill.

which source was this? I'm not being cute, I just would like to know, because the only thing that I have heard that was similar to this was through this message board.

which source was this? I'm not being cute, I just would like to know, because the only thing that I have heard that was similar to this was through this message board.

Adam Shefter from NFL networks was the original source:

he said for Coles to turn down $6 million in guaranteed money from the Jets means he must have a deal in place already with another team.

he said for Coles to turn down $6 million in guaranteed money from the Jets means he must have a deal in place already with another team.

Is it so crazy to think that Coles might not want to play with the Jets because they have nothing at QB and reportedly aren't all that anxious to upgrade?

That one I knew about, but you put (dolphins) in parenthesis implying that is where it was from. Ok, never mind, no big deal.

Schefter made that report when he had no idea Coles was visiting Buffalo, even though anyone on this board could have told him so. Schefter usually gets the scoop, but he seems a bit outta the loop wrt this story.

Schefter doesn't seem all that interested in reporting on the Bills. Even when they finally got the story they questioned why the Bills would be interested in a WR. He mentioned Hardy being picked in the second round last year and the next sentence wondered if there was an injury with someone, clearly unaware that Hardy had blown out his ACL at the end of last year.