Carolina OL Geoff Hangartner signs with the Bills

kdipirro

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great signing if we do get it done for several reasons. One, from what I have heard and been told by a few of my carolina friends is that he is a good quality player. But the real reasons this is a great signing if it occurs is he is young, versatile (can play LG, C, or RG and did all 3 last season), doesn't commit penalties, and he is great against those big nose tackles that we have such a problem with. He solves our center problem. Then if we get a G in free agency, then things are actually going to start looking a lot brighter than they do now.

This would be a quality signing if they get it done. If Simmons had a good physical, I'm not sure what they're waiting for, bu Hangarten-Simmons is a big upgrade from Dockery-Preston

I'm not so sure about that. It just sounds like a shuffling of equivalent players. Maybe the new guys will "fit" better ... or at least cost less. We still need to draft some guys here for a real long term solution.

It will be interesting to see how much coin he commands. I'll bet it will be 4 years, 18 million.

I don't think it will be quite that much. I would think 4 years at 14-16 million. But I am terrible at this type of stuff so maybe i shouldn't of even posted this. :D

Career Offensive Line Stats

Year Team G GS Pen Yds False Start Holding Sacks Allwd Yds

2005 Car 6 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 0.00

2006 Car 16 15 0 0 0 0 1.00 6.00

2007 Car 16 4 2 15 1 1 1.50 12.50

2008 Car 16 8 0 0 0 0 2.00 10.50

Totals 54 27 2 15 1 1 4.50 29.00

Compared to Fowler:

2006 Buf 16 16 2 10 2 0 3.00 28.00

2007 Buf 16 16 2 10 2 0 2.50 19.50

2008 Buf 14 5 1 10 0 0 2.00 20.00

Yet to me the telling report on guys is their predraft reports, in all honesty Hangartner has become what he was forecast to be, according to CNNSI: I don't mind the signing as long as we don't over pay for him and draft someone to possibly compete with him as the starter in Round 2 or 3 of the draft.

BIO: Started at offensive tackle as a senior and awarded All-Conference honors. First-team center the prior two seasons.

POSITIVES: Hard-working, rugged blocker best in a small area. Plays with good lean, immediately gets his hands into defenders, then controls them at the point. Solid position blocker on the second level. Stays square and keeps defenders in front of him. Attacks assignments, yet at the same time, an alert lineman who works well with teammates.

NEGATIVES: Lacks adjustment and not effective in motion. Does not display great explosion into blocks. More of a mauler than leverage lineman.

ANALYSIS: A high-effort player who can be used at several spots on the offensive line, Hangartner is a limited athlete with marginal upside for the next level. Has the ability to add bulk to his frame, which could help him catch on as an inexpensive backup and utility lineman.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/59428.html

In terms of Simmons, he was well though of coming out of school but has yet to live up to his predraft hype and can't say he's really an upgrade to Dockery or not.

I don't think it will be quite that much. I would think 4 years at 14-16 million. But I am terrible at this type of stuff so maybe i shouldn't of even posted this. :D

I don't think it will be below 16. I am aiming a little high because I fugure they need to overpay to keep him interested...

A young guy that played a little and who the Bills hope will emerge as a real player. Same song, new day.

Hold on their bud, let's see what they pay him. Signings like this are fine, as long as you don't pay big money for unproven/mediocre talent (see: Dockery). Hopefully the Bills have learned their lesson. As Mike Lombardi says, the way teams kill themselves in free agency is by overpaying for marginal players. But there is nothing wrong with underpaying or paying market for those same players.

Look I hope he pans out. I admit, I dont know much about the guy. I know that he has some kind of quality to be an NFL player. But.....

I kinda get tired of signing teams backups to be our starters.......sometimes its ok to sign guys who have made pro bowls, you know guys who have been productive.

Same crap every year.....we raid other teams backups constantly and it gets us nothing.

But I really do hope the guy works out if he indeed did sign.

without knowing much, i will point out that o linemen are not pitchers, they don't stand out there alone and have to fit together.

if the bills ink up peters for big cash, they will be saying they want uber tackles, and solid hard working guards, not a talented heart short guy like dock at G.

Hold on their bud, let's see what they pay him. Signings like this are fine, as long as you don't pay big money for unproven/mediocre talent (see: Dockery). Hopefully the Bills have learned their lesson. As Mike Lombardi says, the way teams kill themselves in free agency is by overpaying for marginal players. But there is nothing wrong with underpaying or paying market for those same players.

Not sure if any UFA is paid beneath their value. His versatility is a plus, but I'd rather have a guy with one position that he plays well than 2-3 which are OK. Can't comment on the contract because it may not even be signed yet.

I do know the Panthers are drafted Ryan Kalil in the second a few years back. He is now the starting center there.

I'd like to say I trust the Bills and their personnel people, but they need to hit on some players first. The margin of error is zero in my book.

That said, I think going after Alex Mack would still be a good move if they could move down on draft day.

And then they drafted Khalil to upgrade him the very next year because he did such a great job.

What FA left would you prefer? Birk? 33 years old, he might have two years left.

Meester? He's constantly on the injury report.

Jake Grove? Lost his starting spot on OAKLAND'S O-Line to a 10-year backup.

And then they drafted Khalil to upgrade him the very next year because he did such a great job.

Or they drafted the best player available. I'm not familiar enough with the Panthers organization to honestly say why they drafted Khalil, but nothing I've seen or read suggests Hangartner is anything worse than average.

Or they drafted the best player available. I'm not familiar enough with the Panthers organization to honestly say why they drafted Khalil, but nothing I've seen or read suggests Hangartner is anything worse than average.

I never said he was.