A question from the Pats/Steelers game

Thailog80

Where Brady threw the pass to Brown or Givens I can't recall who it was. He then moves up field a few yards and gets a facemask call against the Pitt D (15 yarder). Cowher challenges the catch, which on review clearly shows it hit the ground. If the play was called properly the penalty never happens right? So the challenge is upheld but the penalty is still enforced.......that's wrong. A team benefits from bad officiating?

Where Brady threw the pass to Brown or Givens I can't recall who it was. He then moves up field a few yards and gets a facemask call against the Pitt D (15 yarder). Cowher challenges the catch, which on review clearly shows it hit the ground. If the play was called properly the penalty never happens right? So the challenge is upheld but the penalty is still enforced.......that's wrong. A team benefits from bad officiating?

94871[/snapback]

If the play is called properly, the penalty does happen, IINM. I think a facemask is a facemask is a facemask, and they'll call it regardless of whether the play was called wrong.

But I could be wrong because I'm too giddy right now.

If the play is called properly, the penalty does happen, IINM. I think a facemask is a facemask is a facemask, and they'll call it regardless of whether the play was called wrong.

But I could be wrong because I'm too giddy right now.

94890[/snapback]

Giddy as a school girl Pac? :)

Unsportsmanlike penalties can happen after the play has been called dead.  Called correctly or not, the offending player still grabbed the facemask.

94902[/snapback]

Exactly, just like unnecasary roughness on a qb after the play has been whistled dead for offsides

Unsportsmanlike penalties can happen after the play has been called dead.  Called correctly or not, the offending player still grabbed the facemask.

94902[/snapback]

That is correct, has nothing to do with the play being called correctly or incorrectly. Remember that at one point an unsportsmanlike penalty was called after the ball went out of bounds and the Steeler player threw the ball at a Patriots player and taunted him. Play was called dead then and it was a valid penality.

That is correct, has nothing to do with the play being called correctly or incorrectly.  Remember that at one point an unsportsmanlike penalty was called after the ball went out of bounds and the Steeler player threw the ball at a Patriots player and taunted him.  Play was called dead then and it was a valid penality.

94914[/snapback]

he was throwing it to the ref who was walking by, it just missed him and grazed the Pats player...of course, the Pats got the call.

he was throwing it to the ref who was walking by, it just missed him and grazed the Pats player...of course, the Pats got the call.

94935[/snapback]

How unbelievable was that? Do the Pats send the refs to a brothel as a christmas gift?