What reasons do good players have to come to Buffalo?

Poeticlaw

That didn't stop Scott from signing with the Jets.

You're going to have to develop some better analytical skills.

I compared the Bills to teams playing in states with no income tax.

In other words, it's not the only reason we're at a competitive disadvantage, but it's one of several reasons.

A-list FA's would only come here if they get overpaid...really overpaid. And even then they probably wouldn't come if New England or Miami wanted them. Face it. The Bills have no choice but to build through the draft. Unfortunately that takes a level of coaching and front office prowess this franchise has never possessed.

PTR

Again YOU DON'T BUILD A SUPERBOWL TEAM THROUGH FREE AGENCY. The Bills are terrible at the draft.

That was my favorite Mayne Event ever!

Really our only hopes are for FAs that want to be out of the spotlight. Other than that, we have to get more effective at drafting/scouting. We can't afford to have 1st round misses and 2nd and 3rd rounders need to contribute. They don't have to be superstars, but they have to be solid contributors. Eventually, we'll catch lightning in a bottle and have the nucleus for a playoff run. Then FAs at the end of their career will be willing to come onboard for our short window to the promise land.

Even in the late 80s and 90's where did we get our core players?

Kelly - 1st round pick in '83 and still he decided to go to the USFL until it folded

Talley - 2nd Round '83

Greg Bell - 1st Round '84 - Later traded for Cornelius Bennet.

Smith - 1st round, 1st pick '85

Reich - 3rd Round '85

Reed - 4th Round '85

Wolford 1st Round '86

Bennet - Traded Gregg Bell to the Rams, Dickerson went to Indy, and we got him. 1st Round '87

Conlan - 1st Round '87

Odoms - 2nd Round '87

Thomas - 2nd Round '88

Beebe - 3rd Round '89

Parker - 3rd Round '90

Henry Jones - 1st Round '91

Hansen - 2nd Round '91

We can only hope that our recent picks of Evans, Lynch, Poz, Edwards, Whitner, McKelvin etc... turn out to a studs in the next few seasons, or it's another lost decade.

Really our only hopes are for FAs that want to be out of the spotlight. Other than that, we have to get more effective at drafting/scouting. We can't afford to have 1st round misses and 2nd and 3rd rounders need to contribute. They don't have to be superstars, but they have to be solid contributors. Eventually, we'll catch lightning in a bottle and have the nucleus for a playoff run. Then FAs at the end of their career will be willing to come onboard for our short window to the promise land.

Kelly - 1st round pick in '83 and still he decided to go to the USFL until it folded

Talley - 2nd Round '83

Reich - 3rd Round '85

Reed - 4th Round '85

Wolford 1st Round '86

Bennet - Traded Gregg Bell to the Rams, Dickerson went to Indy, and we got him. 1st Round '87

Conlan - 1st Round '87

Odoms - 2nd Round '87

Thomas - 2nd Round '88

Beebe - 3rd Round '89

Parker - 3rd Round '90

Hansen - 2nd Round '91

We can only hope that our recent picks of Evans, Lynch, Poz, Edwards, Whitner, McKelvin etc... turn out to a studs in the next few seasons, or it's another lost decade.

It's already been a lost decade. We can only hope that the NEXT decade wont be a lost decade

You're going to have to develop some better analytical skills.

I compared the Bills to teams playing in states with no income tax.

In other words, it's not the only reason we're at a competitive disadvantage, but it's one of several reasons.

I guess I'll work on my analytical skills. Yes our state income tax rates are high but we make up for it with affordable housing. Why don't you check out the price of houses in Miami, Dallas and Tennessee and get back to me. Buffalo has one of the most affordable housing markets in the country. I agree that there are reasons why free agents don't come here but your being ridiculous if you think it's because of our state income tax.

As I posted yesterday (which got buried under the heavy traffic) the New York State income tax on those making more than $500,000 per year is 7.7%.

That amounts to hundreds of thousands per year that the Bills have to overpay compared to the Dolphins, Cowboys, Seahawks, and Titans who play in states with no income tax.

I guess I'll work on my analytical skills. Yes our state income tax rates are high but we make up for it with affordable housing. Why don't you check out the price of houses in Miami, Dallas and Tennessee and get back to me. Buffalo has one of the most affordable housing markets in the country. I agree that there are reasons why free agents don't come here but your being ridiculous if you think it's because of our state income tax.

Pride, why are housing prices here so depressed? I don't want to get into a pissing match Pride, nor do I want this discussion to become a can of worms.

As I said, it's one of several reasons. The housing thing is a reflection of people's desire to live in the area.

The desirability of an area is based on many reasons: climate, quality of schools, quality of life, recreational activites, etc.

Here's another thing to consider: California, Texas, and Florida far and away produce the most NFL football players as should be expected based on population. California is always between 180 and 205 players in the NFL. Texas and Florida are both usually between 165 and 185. the next closest state to these three is normally Georgia, which is somewhere around 80-85 players. The highest total per capita among the top producers appears to be Mississippi with currently 47 players and a population under 3 million, followed very closely by Louisiana with over 60 players and a population of less than 4.5 million. How many of these players view skiing, snowmobiling, ice skating, and ice fishing as things that make a city attractive. I love doing all those things, but I grew up in the area.

In addition the fact that there are 10 thousand abandoned homes assessed at $20-25,000 probably has to do with the affordability of housing in the Greater Buffalo Area.

These are a few more reasons that we are at a disadvantage in attracting NFL players. That's as far as I'm going with this.

The low price of housing is offset by very high property taxes so there is no advantage for Buffalo in that case.

Until the Bills can start winning games/playoffs you have one strike against you. If you consider the poor organization (coaches, owner and decision by management committee) or lack there of, that is strike two. If you want amenities and contracts pushing commercial products, you might consider that a strike.

Look, I'm gonna hear it but it's the truth. I was born and raised there and a fan since 1960 so don't give me the "he lives elsewhere" or "he only has so many posts so he can't know much". I know the weather is nasty much of the year and the town is not the garden spot of the world. It is not the great city I grew up in (yes in city, not the burbs) but it is my home town, the people and food are great and it's still my team and I want it to win the SB.

Back to topic. As all pretty much agree, we are not getting the tier 1 FA. Our only hope is we must be better than our competitors in talent evaluation. Hopefully bringing in Nix and maybe a future shake-up in the scouting area (pro and college) will allow us to get better results with the tier 2 and 3 FA and draft.

Then, we all pretty much agree we need to do a better job with the draft. With better scouting and talent evaluators, we now need more choices. We get them by trading down, trading players rather than just releasing them even if for only 7th rounders, we can bundle to get higher or use them. We need to trade for choices for guys we are not utilizing or given up on, i.e. McCargo , Parrish, Kelsey, etc.. I know we tried but we must do a better job. Whatever to get more choices.

Again, talent evaluators and the draft will lead to wins and playoffs. A winning attitude/record, keeping our good talent, and building a good team through draft choices will entice FA to truthfully consider us and not use us to jack up the contract price.

I feel bad when FA don't come to town, or use our team to jack up the cost, and if any town deserves a championship, it's my home town. I have much family and many friends there and I have fond memories of the good years there. I hope we get it right this year.

Until the Bills can start winning games/playoffs you have one strike against you. If you consider the poor organization (coaches, owner and decision by management committee) or lack there of, that is strike two. If you want amenities and contracts pushing commercial products, you might consider that a strike.

Look, I'm gonna hear it but it's the truth. I was born and raised there and a fan since 1960 so don't give me the "he lives elsewhere" or "he only has so many posts so he can't know much". I know the weather is nasty much of the year and the town is not the garden spot of the world. It is not the great city I grew up in (yes in city, not the burbs) but it is my home town, the people and food are great and it's still my team and I want it to win the SB.

Back to topic. As all pretty much agree, we are not getting the tier 1 FA. Our only hope is we must be better than our competitors in talent evaluation. Hopefully bringing in Nix and maybe a future shake-up in the scouting area (pro and college) will allow us to get better results with the tier 2 and 3 FA and draft.

Then, we all pretty much agree we need to do a better job with the draft. With better scouting and talent evaluators, we now need more choices. We get them by trading down, trading players rather than just releasing them even if for only 7th rounders, we can bundle to get higher or use them. We need to trade for choices for guys we are not utilizing or given up on, i.e. McCargo , Parrish, Kelsey, etc.. I know we tried but we must do a better job. Whatever to get more choices.

Again, talent evaluators and the draft will lead to wins and playoffs. A winning attitude/record, keeping our good talent, and building a good team through draft choices will entice FA to truthfully consider us and not use us to jack up the contract price.

I feel bad when FA don't come to town, or use our team to jack up the cost, and if any town deserves a championship, it's my home town. I have much family and many friends there and I have fond memories of the good years there. I hope we get it right this year.

Great post.

Talley - 2nd Round '83

Reich - 3rd Round '85

Reed - 4th Round '85

Wolford 1st Round '86

Conlan - 1st Round '87

Odoms - 2nd Round '87

Thomas - 2nd Round '88

Beebe - 3rd Round '89

Parker - 3rd Round '90

Hansen - 2nd Round '91

The Bills first pick in 83 was Trent Hunter, traded the next year for Vince Ferragamo. The Bills did hit on alot of picks, but they wiffed on alot as well. It helped that the USFL folded and we where able to get guys like Kent Hull. Also the team already had some talent in Joe Devlin, Fred Smerlas, and Jim Ritcher. All in all everything aligned for them, but you are right they did draft alot better. They also had four less teams to compete with and you could draft and bring guys along slowly, because you owned thbe rights to a player nd did not need to worry about free agency.

Buffalo a tough product to sell, but the one thing I wish the Bills front office would do is try to sell the family aspect of things. Schools, parks, ect.....

How many of these players give a rats ass about stuff like that? Most want to know where da' ho's be at.

PTR

Well said.