What reasons do good players have to come to Buffalo?

Poeticlaw

More of a rant than anything!

Everyones upset we cannot land big names in Buffalo. Why should they come here? Not the city but the orginazation? Do we have a coach that Free agents want to play for? Do we have a coach who knows how to win games? Have we had more than 1 winning season in the last 10 years? Do we retain our star players or do we let them go? Are we willing to pay the money they deserve to play here?

This is the reason we dont get better and the reson why we get worse than our divisional Rivals:

NE constantly attracts players becuase they are committed to winning CHAMPIONSHIPS

MIA-attracts players because of tradition and warm weather

NY Jets- other than the fact they pay their players I dont know why they would go there.

Buff- Winning philosphy-concedes division to the PATS and hopes they can make it in thru the wild card each and every season!!!Releases, trades or refuses to resign any of their top teir players. Plus its cold. What does it leave us with 2nd and third tier players getting paid top teir dollar because we are desperate.

Sorry i sound so dismal. But the reality is this team doesnt attract free agents unles they are backups who are looking for starting jobs or starters who are being pushed by compettion and might lose their starting job.

The only thing we can hope for his lightning in a bottle- grab some players that have some upside to them, fires in thier bellys and hope for a winning season. Otherwise we are going to be the Bengals and Browns and Detroits of the NFL and that would suck for a team that broke out of mediocracy into a being the 2nd best winning record in the NFL of the 90's with 4 straight superbowl teams and everyone wanting to join us.

THe more I think about it the MORE I HATED THE TD signing he open Ralphs eyes to the term CAP JAIL and got rid of everyone and refused to "mortgage the future". Because of this we over paying players that shouldnt be paid top dollar and underbid for the players that should be paid top dollar.

Would I be upset with any of the possible signings. No cant say I would becasue its the best they are going to do this season because of their inability to attract star players. The only thing I am upset about is we are only this free agency away from being good- Seriously a quality TE, C, G, 2nd possession WR and a LB in Free agency and Draft the rest and I say this team provide the coaches can learn to coach to win would have a solid chance this season. We are not that far off 7-9 with 2nd teir players is pretty good learn how to win half the games against winning teams and this team is 10-6 playoffs or not 10-6 souds really good and will help attract evan better players next season.

Sorry for the long post feel free to agree or disagree with my observations. :rolleyes:

if a player can be sold with a coaches philosophy and the talent/potential on the team...and can be bought with the right amount of money...any player will go to any team.

with the exception of a veteran nearing retirement, ala fred taylor choosing between the bills and patriots. (he has a better opportunity to start and get more carries in new england than he had here too.)

A-list FA's would only come here if they get overpaid...really overpaid. And even then they probably wouldn't come if New England or Miami wanted them. Face it. The Bills have no choice but to build through the draft. Unfortunately that takes a level of coaching and front office prowess this franchise has never possessed.

PTR

A-list FA's would only come here if they get overpaid...really overpaid. And even then they probably wouldn't come if New England or Miami wanted them. Face it. The Bills have no choice but to build through the draft. Unfortunately that takes a level of coaching and front office prowess this franchise has never possessed.

PTR

Very true and it doenst help when the front office keeps trading away their picks to move uo to take palyers that havent panned out.

PTR

Exactly. The Pittsburgh Steelers are not successful because of the money they throw around in free agency. They are successful because they draft well. They rarely get involved in overpaying for free agents.

If the Bills truly wanted to be a successful football team, they would outspend other teams in the relatively cheaper expense of scouting. Having more scouts, the best scouts, and generally devoting the most resources to that area is their best hope to be competitive.

Their margin for error (draft mistakes) is much lower than many teams because their budget/revenues make it difficult to retain players.

Incidentally the Bengals are usually mentioned as the team which spends the least on scouting. That's why they leap at every opportunity to coach one of the Senior Bowl teams. It helps them to compensate for the lower scouting budget.

As I posted yesterday (which got buried under the heavy traffic) the New York State income tax on those making more than $500,000 per year is 7.7%.

That amounts to hundreds of thousands per year that the Bills have to overpay compared to the Dolphins, Cowboys, Seahawks, and Titans who play in states with no income tax.

As I posted yesterday (which got buried under the heavy traffic) the New York State income tax on those making more than $500,000 per year is 7.7%.

That amounts to hundreds of thousands per year that the Bills have to overpay compared to the Dolphins, Cowboys, Seahawks, and Titans who play in states with no income tax.

That didn't stop Scott from signing with the Jets.