I want NO free agent offensive linemen

EndZoneCrew

I am sick and tired of signing other teams "Trash". I can probably count on ONE hand, the number of free agents we have signed since 1999 that have come here and performed at a high level. Specifically, our offensive line NEEDS to be put together via the draft. I would much rather have 5 Brad Butlers than a Melvin Fowler, Joe Panos, Bennie Anderson, Chris Vallerial, Derrick Dockery, Mike Gandy, Trey Teague or any other BUM that we have tried to plug in our line....I am SICK of this sh--.....NO MORE CRAP!

Since we need about 4 more offensive linemen (2 starters plus 2 depth), how are we suppose to do that without free agency

Draft 4 of them as far as I am concerned.....Indy drafted 2 centers and a guard last year, and they have had a pretty quality OL lately....We only need 1 more than that....What's the problem??

Draft 4 of them as far as I am concerned.....Indy drafted 2 centers and a guard last year, and they have had a pretty quality OL lately....We only need 1 more than that....What's the problem??

..... you want to put bank on on 6th and 7th rounders? because we need to use the draft for a lot of other things as well.

I am sick and tired of signing other teams "Trash". I can probably count on ONE hand, the number of free agents we have signed since 1999 that have come here and performed at a high level. Specifically, our offensive line NEEDS to be put together via the draft. I would much rather have 5 Brad Butlers than a Melvin Fowler, Joe Panos, Bennie Anderson, Chris Vallerial, Derrick Dockery, Mike Gandy, Trey Teague or any other BUM that we have tried to plug in our line....I am SICK of this sh--.....NO MORE CRAP!

There are plenty of good offensive line free agents. We're just not signing the right guys.

I agree, however the Bills front office is also incapable or unwilling to draft O-linemen.

They just can't do it, so they draft D-backs.

I completely agree with this post. The Bills have tried building their offensive line through second-tier free agents, time and time again. And it's consistently failed. (As an aside, you can go ahead and add Jason Whittle and Greg Jerman to your list of Bills' free agent OL signings.)

An offensive line needs continuity to be good. And that's exactly what you lose when you try building a line through free agency. Take the Chris Villarial signing for example. He was good for the first year he played for us, then was too old/injured/whatever to play good football after that. Instead of giving us continuity at the RG position, he gave us just one good year year. And that one good year makes him one of our more successful free agent OL signings. Dockery only gave us that one good year; Trey Teague gave us maybe one good year (I don't remember), Melvin Fowler never gave us a good year; maybe Mike Gandy gave us a good year at guard. I can't think of a single post Super Bowl era Bills' OL free agent signing which you can point to and say, "this guy gave us a high level of play for a good four to five years." Compare that to the play we got from first round draft picks like Kent Hull: an entire career's worth of solid play!

Others in this thread have pointed out that there are a lot of holes in this team, and that it will be impossible to fill them all via the draft. But there's no reason why we can't use the draft to fill the holes on the offensive line. The Bills could use two first day picks to fill the starting OL positions, and use two second day picks to fill the holes at the backup positions. If the Bills need to use free agency to fill a hole, let to be at some position other than OL.

While I agree teams have to draft effectively it is wrong to dismiss FA out of hand. It is an avenue by which you can improve your team. Buffalo has so many needs to fill that they must be active in FA including in my opinion getting at least a guard or center to fill the holes they are left with on th o-line. They can't possibly plug all the gaps through the draft.

Of course, this post completely ignores the fact that Caolina let Hangartner go because they couldn't afford to keep him and stay under the cap. They are 1.9 million under the cap currently, and were over until the league bumped it up by 4 mil yesterday.

Understand your frustration, but the fact that we haven't been very good at the free agency game doesn't mean we can afford not to play it. You don't want to start the season with two or three rookies on the O line. We'll probably get a rookie center, so I think it is important to get one or two gaurds through fa.

Of course, this post completely ignores the fact that Caolina let Hangartner go because they couldn't afford to keep him and stay under the cap. They are 1.9 million under the cap currently, and were over until the league bumped it up by 4 mil yesterday.

Exactly. I'll take Hangartner. Carolina backed up the Brinks truck for Jordon Gross and had to franchise Peppers. The cupboard is bare. Nothing wrong with Hangartner.

An offensive line needs continuity to be good. And that's exactly what you lose when you try building a line through free agency. Take the Chris Villarial signing for example. He was good for the first year he played for us, then was too old/injured/whatever to play good football after that. Instead of giving us continuity at the RG position, he gave us just one good year year. And that one good year makes him one of our more successful free agent OL signings. Dockery only gave us that one good year; Trey Teague gave us maybe one good year (I don't remember), Melvin Fowler never gave us a good year; maybe Mike Gandy gave us a good year at guard. I can't think of a single post Super Bowl era Bills' OL free agent signing which you can point to and say, "this guy gave us a high level of play for a good four to five years." Compare that to the play we got from first round draft picks like Kent Hull: an entire career's worth of solid play!

Um, Kent Hull was a free agent, not a first round draft pick.

Tutan Reyes is insulted that you forgot about him! :lol: