Why is it common among nfl fans

To hate on Mel Kiper?

I understand that he can't always predict where a guy will go, or exactly how good he will do, but he does a !@#$in great job if you ask me. He evaluates hundreds of players and can tell you literally anything you want to know about them. When we draft guys like Reggie Corner out of Akron and Alvin Bowen from Iowa St, I know exactly what to expect, just because of that guy.

Knowing sh-- about a prospect and determining what they'll be like as a pro are completely different stories. Even the Polian's of the world have messed up draft picks before, believe it or not.

Kiper studies every bit of information he can gather and knows it inside out. He's miles ahead of McShay. Mayock is very good, along with Kiper. McShay really seems to just toss out the public opinion. Jamarcus Russell has a strong arm, Michael Crabtree is good at catching, Mark Sanchez is great because he's from USC, Darren McFadden is fast, etc. Kiper could tell you Steve Johnson's body fat percentage. I don't think that there's even a comparison between the two.

If you think Kiper is just on ESPN because of his hair, then find me the next guy who can tell you everything you'd ever want to know about the 6th round prospects and loves doing so.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: I really can't stand ESPN sometimes. So much of their stuff is ridiculous. You'd think only Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet and Stephen Curry play college basketball. Tom Brady and Randy Moss must take the field by themselves. Tiger Woods is the only golfer ever.

I think the one thing that they actually do have going for them is Kiper. Instead of knowing that Matt Stafford has a good arm, he can tell you the strengths and weaknesses of Drew Willy.

his mocks are usually bad. He can grade talent pretty well though. I think he doesn't even like the mocks, but he does them anyway because that is what people want to see. But he grades talent pretty well. Well, better than most people. It is a hard thing to grade/predict how players are going to do.

but he says a lot of stupid things just to have that personality. And he likes to argue just for the sake of arguing.

his mocks are usually bad. He can grade talent pretty well though. I think he doesn't even like the mocks, but he does them anyway because that is what people want to see. But he grades talent pretty well. Well, better than most people. It is a hard thing to grade/predict how players are going to do.

but he says a lot of stupid things just to have that personality. And he likes to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Wouldn't most ppl agree its more important that an analyst should be good at grading them moreso than predicting them? The draft is ridiculously hard to predict. Just look at the Bills. Its reasonable that we take Orakpo, Maybin, Brown, Raji, Jerry, Cushing, Mauluga, Pettigrew, and even a center with our 1st pick. That's just us. Theoretically, the teams ahead of us should have even more holes. How can a man be expected to know exactly what GMs leaguewide are thinking?

Wouldn't most ppl agree its more important that an analyst should be good at grading them moreso than predicting them? The draft is ridiculously hard to predict. Just look at the Bills. Its reasonable that we take Orakpo, Maybin, Brown, Raji, Jerry, Cushing, Mauluga, Pettigrew, and even a center with our 1st pick. That's just us. Theoretically, the teams ahead of us should have even more holes. How can a man be expected to know exactly what GMs leaguewide are thinking?

most people want the mocks. That is why you see people posting more mocks than people grading talent. People have always been more excited about the mocks.

Kiper is pretty good at talent. He makes a lot of bad calls. But he makes better calls than a lot of teams and other analysts do

To hate on Mel Kiper?

I understand that he can't always predict where a guy will go, or exactly how good he will do, but he does a !@#$in great job if you ask me. He evaluates hundreds of players and can tell you literally anything you want to know about them. When we draft guys like Reggie Corner out of Akron and Alvin Bowen from Iowa St, I know exactly what to expect, just because of that guy.

Knowing sh-- about a prospect and determining what they'll be like as a pro are completely different stories. Even the Polian's of the world have messed up draft picks before, believe it or not.

Kiper studies every bit of information he can gather and knows it inside out. He's miles ahead of McShay. Mayock is very good, along with Kiper. McShay really seems to just toss out the public opinion. Jamarcus Russell has a strong arm, Michael Crabtree is good at catching, Mark Sanchez is great because he's from USC, Darren McFadden is fast, etc. Kiper could tell you Steve Johnson's body fat percentage. I don't think that there's even a comparison between the two.

If you think Kiper is just on ESPN because of his hair, then find me the next guy who can tell you everything you'd ever want to know about the 6th round prospects and loves doing so.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: I really can't stand ESPN sometimes. So much of their stuff is ridiculous. You'd think only Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet and Stephen Curry play college basketball. Tom Brady and Randy Moss must take the field by themselves. Tiger Woods is the only golfer ever.

I think the one thing that they actually do have going for them is Kiper. Instead of knowing that Matt Stafford has a good arm, he can tell you the strengths and weaknesses of Drew Willy.

Just posted this in another thread. I think Kiper is great. I never read mock drafts, so if he gets the destinations of the players wrong, it doesn't matter to me. Kiper has almost singlehandedly made the NFL Draft an event that we all look forward too, every April. Before Kiper, draft weekend consisted of opening up to the transactions page of the Sunday paper, and wondering who all these guys were.

In answer to your question though, NFL fans hate him, for the same reasons they hate John Madden, Brett Favre, John Elway, etc etc etc...they are great at what they do, they have done it for a long time, and the increasingly ADD culture we live in, makes people think that something else, or someone else is better. We love to trash our institutions. Along the same vein, I kind of feel bad for some people, who can't appreciate what they are seeing, because of some prejudice they have... unless it is Marino and the Dolphins. :D We seem to have an insatiable need to tear everything down. I know, I sound like an old guy on the soap box...but the more complex everything gets with the way we enjoy sports, the simpler we get. I love all the coverage, an analysis, but I don't ever want it to get in the way of the game...