Who was the worst QB in Bills history?

BuffaloPride

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dennis Shaw. How can you have guys like O.J., Marlin Briscoe, Haven Moses and Bob Chandler and NOT succeed?

I know I may catch hell for it, but when your HB is a star and blows apart defenses, you shouldn't be throwing 35 touchdowns and 68 friggin interceptions... he may have been worse than Losman in fact.

Denis Shaw was the Rookie of the year in 1970. Losman was what?

I used to think it was Johnson, but atleast he started a playoff game and put us in a position to win. Losman has got to go down as the worst. His reference to Yoda in his first postgame press conference was classic. God what a boob.

I would have to say it's Ryan Fitzpatrick, how is this guy still on the roster?

My time is 1990+. How can we really include Billy Joe Hobert? Did he even start a game? He just came in at the end of one and was terrible, admitted the he did not prepare, and then was cut. We might as well start talking about Jim Ballard and Craig Nall.

It's hard to pick the worst out of Collins, Van Pelt, Johnson and Losman. All of them actually had good games. Collins had some good games including the Colts comeback in 1997, the late season Jets win at Orchard Park and the Dallas win in 1996. Losman had a decent season in 2006. The much maligned Johnson played well at times until Flutie finally left the picture. Van Pelt never seemed to be that great, yet he was able to outplay both Collins and Johnson to win the starting job and had a knack at winning those 9-6 games in 1997.

If I had to pick one, it would have to be Collins. He lost the starting job twice to Van Pelt and the Bills offense rarely looked like a professional one with him at QB. But of course he was good enough to lead the Redskins to the playoffs, so what do I know.

My time is 1990+. How can we really include Billy Joe Hobert? Did he even start a game? He just came in at the end of one and was terrible, admitted the he did not prepare, and then was cut. We might as well start talking about Jim Ballard and Craig Nall.

It's hard to pick the worst out of Collins, Van Pelt, Johnson and Losman. All of them actually had good games. Collins had some good games including the Colts comeback in 1997, the late season Jets win at Orchard Park and the Dallas win in 1996. Losman had a decent season in 2006. The much maligned Johnson played well at times until Flutie finally left the picture. Van Pelt never seemed to be that great, yet he was able to outplay both Collins and Johnson to win the starting job and had a knack at winning those 9-6 games in 1997.

If I had to pick one, it would have to be Collins. He lost the starting job twice to Van Pelt and the Bills offense rarely looked like a professional one with him at QB. But of course he was good enough to lead the Redskins to the playoffs, so what do I know.

Call me crazy, but Johnson was a cut above all those guys. He had his bad times, but could actually be very good at times. When Collins succeeded, he was playing very much the "caretaker" role. Alex was a fan favorite as a backup, but he was pretty miserable as a starter. I think Johnson was way more frustrating that Losman, because you could see, he could be really good. JP's best games (and he had a few) were more mediocre, save for one or two big plays.

But, you really can't diseregard the badness of Ferragamo, Dufek and Mathison. Ferragamo was washed up when we got him (though he had one pretty nice game in his first start), and only lasted about 6 weeks into the season, before being traded off to Green Bay, to back up the great Dieter Brock. Dufek wouldn't have likely made any other NFL squad. Mathison, of the three, was the best, but not by much.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned...Jim Kelly.

Yes, Kelly. Think about it. Do you think that if you put Dufek, Kofler, Darragh or any of the others mentioned behind the 1990-94 offensive line, with those receivers and running backs and those special teams and defense, that they would have gone 0 for 4 in the Super Bowl? Highly doubtful. Just know how to play within your means, and utilize your best weapons wisely. Ask Jeff Hostetler.