Is the Free Agent System biased toward big markets?

ieatcrayonz

Actually Crayonz, I do have a question.

Can the NFL institute a rule that in odd-numbered years, the Earth spins counter-clockwise, and in even-numbered years, the earth spins clockwise? That way, all teams get a chance every other year to get first crack? I'm sure the Googlebot has a device that would be capable of changing the Earth's rotation.

This would also have the side effect of our time occuring before the Russians, which would allow us to bomb them before they could respond, since they'd be 10 hours behind us.

IF Crayon's is correct, I would think it stand to reason that would also mean any players on west coast teams do not become free agents until 3:00 AM eastern, time, therefore you can't talk with them until that time.

So if correct, works both ways, the east coast players would have an advantage then too as they could sign offers before free agetns from west coast teams. I recall one year the Bills had a player signed by 1:00 AM local time. That's money that a west coast player never has a shot at getting.

All this makes me doubt it could be true, as players and teams would both be at a disadvantage

Technically you are correct but most of the players and agents have gamed the system by getting VOIP phones with Eastern time zone area codes. They can plug in anywhere and the phone records will look like a call was placed to the Eastern time zone. They can list a city as their residence in NFL records, the actual street address is not required because it is private.

Say what you will, but thats fcking genius. :D

I know; right?

It's not really ethical but you have to congratulate them for their ingenuity. The NFL couldn't see far enough into to the future during the last collective bargaining agreement. The next one will probably permit IP traces. Even so, once a player is a free agent they could just moved east. It's a pain in the neck but could pay off.

You could take it a step farther and structure a team around this. If the Seattle Seahawks were smart, they could strike a deal where they shared the team with another city like Dover, Delaware. The Dover Seahawks would be in effect from after the Super Bowl until two days into free agency.