Is the Free Agent System biased toward big markets?

ieatcrayonz

Think about the big market teams in the east:

NY Giants

NY Jets

NE Patriots

Philly

Washington

Pittsburgh is not a big market but they are a glamour team.

Tonight, these teams will get a one to three hour jump on most of the rest of the league when it comes to signing free agents. At 12:01 Eastern, they will only have to worry about the other Eastern teams knowing Chicago and Dallas can't Jump in for another hour and San Fran and others have to wait three.

I know we benefit from this, but it still isn't fair.

NY Giants

NY Jets

NE Patriots

Philly

Washington

Tonight, these teams will get a one to three hour jump on most of the rest of the league when it comes to signing free agents. At 12:01 Eastern, they will only have to worry about the other Eastern teams knowing Chicago and Dallas can't Jump in for another hour and San Fran and others have to wait three.

Are you sure about the starting times Crayonz? I had not heard that west coast teams had to wait until midnight Pacific Time. I assumed they started at midnight Eastern time.

Are you sure about the starting times Crayonz? I had not heard that west coast teams had to wait until midnight Pacific Time. I assumed they started at midnight Eastern time.

It is like New Year's Eve in a way. For a three hour period, NY is in one year and LA is in another. I think we should all be on the same clock around the globe. It would be confusing as different hours would represent daylight hours vs. dark hours but the localities would get used to it. Anyway, unfair situations like this and New Year's Eve could be avoided.

It is like New Year's Eve in a way. For a three hour period, NY is in one year and LA is in another. I think we should all be on the same clock around the globe. It would be confusing as different hours would represent daylight hours vs. dark hours but the localities would get used to it. Anyway, unfair situations like this and New Year's Eve could be avoided.

:thumbsup::lol::w00t:

Well, without documentation (and I've been looking around) consider me very skeptical that some teams would have a head start on other teams. If defies common sense. I'm doubtful. Remember that Chicago is in the Central time zone and Denver is in the Mountain time zone. So I'm very doubtful.

Well, without documentation (and I've been looking around) consider me very skeptical that some teams would have a head start on other teams. If defies common sense. I'm doubtful. Remember that Chicago is in the Central time zone and Denver is in the Mountain time zone. So I'm very doubtful.

I'm not saying it's fair but time is time.

2009 started earlier in NYC than it did in LA didn't it?

I'm sure the NFL will make up some crap about it being fair because the West Coast teams have three more hours to decide who to cut at that deadline but that hardly makes it even.

All things being equal it's biased to larger glamor markets because most pro athletes want to play in fun cities. Being a good team tilts things back a bit in your favor, like Pittsburgh. Buffalo would have to win a couple of Super Bowls before players would want to come here.

PTR

IF Crayon's is correct, I would think it stand to reason that would also mean any players on west coast teams do not become free agents until 3:00 AM eastern, time, therefore you can't talk with them until that time.

So if correct, works both ways, the east coast players would have an advantage then too as they could sign offers before free agetns from west coast teams. I recall one year the Bills had a player signed by 1:00 AM local time. That's money that a west coast player never has a shot at getting.

All this makes me doubt it could be true, as players and teams would both be at a disadvantage

NY Giants

NY Jets

NE Patriots

Philly

Washington

You missed an important aspect of this. The players are also held to the midnight starting time based on the timezone at their location tonight. Players in NY will have a chance to sign first. Guys on the West coast have to wait 3 hours. I've heard that a number of players have flown to the East coast to get an early start. JP Losman actually flew to Guam (14 hours ahead) and has been a free agent all day, but has not yet been signed.

You missed an important aspect of this. The players are also held to the midnight starting time based on the timezone at their location tonight. Players in NY will have a chance to sign first. Guys on the West coast have to wait 3 hours. I've heard that a number of players have flown to the East coast to get an early start. JP Losman actually flew to Guam (14 hours ahead) and has been a free agent all day, but has not yet been signed.

:w00t: Good one.

And Crayonz, brilliant! :lol::thumbsup:

NY Giants

NY Jets

NE Patriots

Philly

Washington

:D