War dead will now be allowed to be photographed

Now how is that going to work? Four bodies come off a plane, one's family agrees to have the body photographed and three do not. Do they even think these things through?

Who needs to think when you're appeasing your base by doing everything differently from the last administration?

Although since it's Gates' decision, that's not a fair criticism. :nana: Does seem poorly thought-out, though..."Let's do what they do in Arlington Cemetary". Because transporting coffins en masse is just so damn similar to individual funeral ceremonies.

Now how is that going to work? Four bodies come off a plane, one's family agrees to have the body photographed and three do not. Do they even think these things through?

Bush was the one that changed it from the existing policy to not show them. They are working on the specifics now. But it's not like it's a totally new policy, it's going back to the older (and I think better) policy. You don't think the public should be able to see that?

Ask the families before they are flown back to Dover. Take the ones that are allowed to be photographed off first, then ask the photographers to leave and take the rest off. Or if there are enough for multiple flights (hopefully not but possible), segregate the flights by those that have permission and those that don't.

Ask the families before they are flown back to Dover. Take the ones that are allowed to be photographed off first, then ask the photographers to leave and take the rest off. Or if there are enough for multiple flights (hopefully not but possible), segregate the flights by those that have permission and those that don't.

What a cluster !@#$. It should be yes we photograph or no we don't. It won't work and this is why I don't want the government handling something big like healthcare. It will be a mess.

Bush was the one that changed it from the existing policy to not show them. They are working on the specifics now. But it's not like it's a totally new policy, it's going back to the older (and I think better) policy. You don't think the public should be able to see that?

Bush the First, to be specific.

What a cluster !@#$. It should be yes we photograph or no we don't. It won't work and this is why I don't want the government handling something big like healthcare. It will be a mess.

Then let's go back to the original rule of yes for all, which worked fine throughout our history. The reason it was changed was that GHWBush was seen joking at a press conference on a split screen as coffins were coming off a plane during Desert Storm. So it was done to avoid further political embarrassment, and to avoid having Americans be reminded of the cost of war, which may prompt them to push to end it sooner. Protecting the families wasn't the primary motivation, but that's the excuse they used.

Bush the First, to be specific.

Correct. it was put in place in 91 and Clinton could have changed but didn't. it's only becuase of the media idiots was this even brought up as an issue, to make Bush two look bad. Again, right, wrong or indifferent, any policy to make W seem stupid. it's all media BS. Like the morons who had to cut through yards to see the plane down in Clarence Center. They felt they had some right to see and steal debris.

Correct. it was put in place in 91 and Clinton could have changed but didn't. it's only becuase of the media idiots was this even brought up as an issue, to make Bush two look bad. Again, right, wrong or indifferent, any policy to make W seem stupid. it's all media BS. Like the morons who had to cut through yards to see the plane down in Clarence Center. They felt they had some right to see and steal debris.

It wasn't an issue during Clinton because we didn't have many casualties during that time. It became an issue during Iraq because it prevented Americans from seeing the human cost of the Iraq occupation on a daily basis, because Bush knew it would be politically damaging to his policy of war of choice.

It wasn't an issue during Clinton because we didn't have many casualties during that time. It became an issue during Iraq because it prevented Americans from seeing the human cost of the Iraq occupation on a daily basis, because Bush knew it would be politically damaging to his policy of war of choice.

Which is why he allowed for embedded reporters during the surge to Iraq. He didn't want anyone seeing anything because it would be politically damaging...

I have to admit; the way you perceive things is damn near an art form.

Really, you need to do some research, because you're wrong.

We had less soldiers killed per year than died from accidents, illness, suicide, etc. during Clinton's term.

That occurs all the time regardless of who's the president.

Which is why he allowed for embedded reporters during the surge to Iraq. He didn't want anyone seeing anything because it would be politically damaging...

I have to admit; the way you perceive things is damn near an art form.

How nice of him to "allow reporters" to report. That was their way of restricting their freedom of access to report what, where, and when they wanted, so like the pictures of caskets, they could control as much as possible the stories coming back to Americans.

Really, you need to do some research, because you're wrong.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own set of facts. There were few if any American casualties from the NATO intervention in Bosnia, which was the largest military operation during Clinton's terms. Compare that to Bush and Iraq.

What I mean is that the # killed in combat was less that the # that normally die during peacetime.

but taking pictures of troops who died in a car accident, plane crash, etc... doesn't fulfill the agenda of the media to make the old President look bad.

Isn't it great that Obama's 16 months and all troops out is now at least 20 months and then we'll still have over 50K troops.

I guess that's two more promises broken.

but taking pictures of troops who died in a car accident, plane crash, etc... doesn't fulfill the agenda of the media to make the old President look bad.

Isn't it great that Obama's 16 months and all troops out is now at least 20 months and then we'll still have over 50K troops.

I guess that's two more promises broken.

It's wasn't about making him look bad, it was about showing the consequences of his bad decisions. If he looked bad, that's on him.

It's wasn't about making him look bad, it was about showing the consequences of his bad decisions. If he looked bad, that's on him.

So wanting so show dead soldiers in 100% political? Oh I get it now. Time to grow up man. It has nothing to do with honoring people who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country. You're a !@#$ing !@#$!

but it's an agenda. The first rule of newspapers used to be to report the news not to make it. Whatever happened to that? The whole 4th estate and fabricating sh-- is BS. yeah fox does it, i'm sure, I wouldn't know because I don't watch, but I see sh-- all the time from CNN and Wash Post that I know are false because of some of the places I have worked and specificially things I've worked on.