Rocky Mountain News all done

Lori

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In their final edition, RMN should have run some ads for Horse Drawn Carriages, Whale Oil, Vacuum Tubes, 8 Track Tapes, and various other products made obsolete over the course of the years

The dead-tree edition may be obsolete, but God help us all if the same ever becomes true of journalism.

KD, normally I agree with you...but I don't think politics have anything to do with the death of newspapers. It is technology, pure and simple. First it was television, and now it is the internet. Most everyone gets their news on line now. And you can't tell me that the on-line news sources are any less slanted, or biased than any newspaper ever was. Most people, if they are smart enough to read a newspaper, can detect bias. A bias doesn't necessarily make a story inaccurate. There are still good journalists out there.

No disagreement there buftex...I was in no way implying that the primary reason for the failing of newspapers is anything other than the evolution of technology; primarily the 24x7 TV "news" channels and the internet.

My point is complementary to that. I find the content on TV and the web to be even more slanted. In addition, the major content providers on the web are laughably shallow and almost everything on the alphabet soup networks is designed to appeal to hopeless morons. Newspapers are the only hope for intelligent, objective news and analysis, so it's distressing to see many of them move away from that in favor of promoting an agenda.

Makes me miss the BUFFALO COURIER EXPRESS- the REAL Morning Paper!

Funny you mention that, I now have the final edition of the RMN and Courier. My mom also has saved for me the Dallas Morning News from the day Kennedy was shot AND Oswald.

Not to drop names like others around here do, but while shooting Air Force football games back in the 90s I met Bob Jackson who took the famous Oswald get shot photo. He told me he had the camera at about chest level when he took that shot. Very interesting man... a fantastic photo grapher who's most famous shot was merely a reflex.

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh ... another Bloody Monday in what's left of the newspaper biz.

The Tucson Citizen is done after Saturday, March 21.

And Seattle's oldest newspaper prints its final edition tonight before moving to a far smaller Web-only operation. I've been told that except for a few big-name columnists, the few available Web jobs come with massive cuts in salary and benefits. Most of the people they asked told them to stuff the offer.

So tonight, instead of thinking about Jay Cutler, I'll raise a glass to the P-I and think good thoughts for Mariners beat writer Dave Andriesen.

Edit: Can't even raise a glass (I'm about to leave for work), so instead, I called the bar they're headed to tonight and kicked in toward their tab. Can't help them find a job, but at least I can contribute toward tomorrow's hangover ...

Sigh ... another Bloody Monday in what's left of the newspaper biz.

The Tucson Citizen is done after Saturday, March 21.

And Seattle's oldest newspaper prints its final edition tonight before moving to a far smaller Web-only operation. I've been told that except for a few big-name columnists, the few available Web jobs come with massive cuts in salary and benefits. Most of the people they asked told them to stuff the offer.

So tonight, instead of thinking about Jay Cutler, I'll raise a glass to the P-I and think good thoughts for Mariners beat writer Dave Andriesen.

:beer: