Say Goodbye to Owen Daniels

BillsVet

That's actually pretty damn good news IMO. I would've hated to see us dish out a 1st round pick + for that guy. He is a pretty good football player, but not worth that compensation in a trade, nor the huge contract that I'm guessing he is going to get. This years draft has WAY too many good tight end prospects to play that game...

what i like about the draft this year is that our two big needs positions, TE/C are both pretty deep with talent which will allow the Bills to grab the most impactful player with their first pick

Yeah, giving up a ton for Daniels with a deep TE class would be somewhat of a mistake. I wouldn't hate it, only becuase at least we know we are getting good talent with those picks by getting a really good and young TE, but its still too steep of price to pay since we have too many holes to fill. If we didnt have so many holes, then I would say get er done.

Just because RFA is tendered an offer, that does not mean other teams can't try to sign him. It just prevents him from becoming an UFA tomorrow. This means absolutely nothing in the Bills pursuit of Daniels....

Right, but it means we can't sign him without compensation. We can try to trade for him after he signs, but if Houston signed him for 1st and 3rd compensation, I doubt they're going to take less than that

At the risk of repeating myself from the other day...

Daniels is a PROVEN commodity at TE unlike Pettigrew, Coffman or any other UNPROVEN draft eligible player. I can't believe all the people who piss and moan year after year about how the Bills need a threat at TE, yet they now piss and moan that they don't want to give up any picks for Daniels.

:nana::w00t: :w00t:

At the risk of repeating myself from the other day...

Daniels is a PROVEN commodity at TE unlike Pettigrew, Coffman or any other UNPROVEN draft eligible player. I can't believe all the people who piss and moan year after year about how the Bills need a threat at TE, yet they now piss and moan that they don't want to give up any picks for Daniels.

:nana::w00t: :w00t:

Labatt, why give up high draft picks for a TE, when we still have issues up front? The Bills have zero centers, cut their starting LG, and the RG ain't all that, either. Not to mention there's little in the way of pass rushing DEs and a LB unit that needs a serious infusion of talent.

Given all that, I say no to bringing in a tight end. Given all those other deficiencies, what good will it do? They'd be doing what they've been doing for years: spinning their wheels. A trade like that is a good way to ensure a fourth consecutive 7-9 season.....or worse.

what i like about the draft this year is that our two big needs positions, TE/C are both pretty deep with talent which will allow the Bills to grab the most impactful player with their first pick

Would agree.

TE, OC, LB all very deep positions, and I bet RB and CB will slide down into Round 4 as well.

Not to say that we should take a CB.

Labatt, why give up high draft picks for a TE, when we still have issues up front? The Bills have zero centers, cut their starting LG, and the RG ain't all that, either. Not to mention there's little in the way of pass rushing DEs and a LB unit that needs a serious infusion of talent.

Given all that, I say no to bringing in a tight end. Given all those other deficiencies, what good will it do? They'd be doing what they've been doing for years: spinning their wheels. A trade like that is a good way to ensure a fourth consecutive 7-9 season.....or worse.

I agree the line is a huge priority. What I am saying is that if the Bills(and some posters here) consider pissing away their first round pick on Pettigrew, they would be better off going after Daniels and giving up the 1 and the 3.

Right, but it means we can't sign him without compensation. We can try to trade for him after he signs, but if Houston signed him for 1st and 3rd compensation, I doubt they're going to take less than that

No, it just means they aren't going to let him go for nothing. They might only take a 1st or a second for him, but want to control where he goes, or just want to guarantee they can get what they want for him.

Its just there way of being abe to control where he goes, and/or to buy them some extra time to try and work out a LT deal before they would deal him away