50th Anniversary talk..

Buftex

All this Bills nostalgia got me thinking. One of my biggest regrets is that I am too young to remember ever having seen the old Bills AFL teams. Never got to see Kemp, or Gilchrist... I was born in 1965, but my earliest memories of the Bills are the 1972 team, when Dennis Shaw was the QB. Sharing the same first name, my dad somehow convinced me that I was named after Shaw. I think he just said it so I would be interested in watching the games, and shutting up when they were on...little does the old man know how much that grief that little white lie has caused me the last 37 years or so...

I know there are some old timers who were lucky enough to see those teams of the 1960's. I was going to vote on the 50th Anniversary team... first I was thinking I would only vote for guys who played during my times, but then, I figured, thats' not fair. Speaking of old timers, whatever happened to MARK VI? If you are still lurking out there Mark, come out of hiding! Chime in!

My question, how far back do you go with the Bills? 1972 for me...

Mark VI no longer visits the board. I will pass on your comments, buftex

As far as the AFL Bills, I was born in 1969, so I never saw the AFL teams live. I am fortunate, however, to see game films from that era and from the original Bills from the 1940s. When I voted for the 50th Anniversary team, I was able give a few AFL'ers some love. I was not happy with some of the committee's selections, but there is not much I can do about it. In the end, you will probably see Billy Shaw and possibly one other AFLer on the team (probably Sestak or Dubenion). Otherwise, it will just be the 1990s Bills representing the team. It's a shame that a major anniversary will focus mainly on the accomplishments of four years.

On another note, I just recently found out that the '64 and '65 championship game films do exist. I am trying to work out a deal to get a copy.

..little does the old man know how much that grief that little white lie has caused me the last 37 years or so...

My question, how far back do you go with the Bills? 1972 for me...

Imagine the grief kids with O.J. initials take..

My first gameday experience was the home finale in '65 vs. the Chiefs. Don't remember much about it except we won and there were a lot of turnovers. Because my Dad was a big fan from their inception, I don't know of a time I wasn't aware of them but they got huge in our household when we stole Kemp from SD in '63 and we followed the Championship season of '64 with great enthusiasm. -I was 9 then.