The upcoming uncapped 2010

stuckincincy

Is this the year of shedding vets and their salaries?

Lots of teams aren't sure what the landscape of the NFL will look like after either a new CBA deal or on the other side of an uncapped year/lockout, so teams are reluctant to give up loads of cash in a long term deal. Most of the vet moves thusfar are the usual salary cuts/aging overpaid vets,etc.

I'd be shocked if the uncapped year happens. IMO it is much more likely that a CBA extension is agreed to and the uncapped year gets voided as part of the deal.

Isn't that what happened last time the uncapped year was pending??

The six years to free agency clause alone will drive the union to re-negotiate...

I'd be shocked if the uncapped year happens. IMO it is much more likely that a CBA extension is agreed to and the uncapped year gets voided as part of the deal.

I thought the owners had already voted to not extend the current CBA, hence the talk of the uncapped year in 2010. At least, that's what I thought I remembered...

I've heard on numerous occasions that if they make it to an uncapped year that there will most likely never be another "Salary Cap" as long as the NFL lives. If that's the case, watch Ralph start slingin the ole checkbook around like Marshawn's .40 cal. I bet he'll have a holster on his hip and everything.

First the NFLPA needs to elect a leader. The longer that takes the more likely a lockout will happen. It will never come to an uncapped NFL IMO. The union and the league realize parity is what keeps the NFL the most popular sport in America. However, the new CBA might only be negotiated after a strike/lockout. :lol:

If that's the case, watch Ralph start slingin the ole checkbook around like Marshawn's .40 cal. I bet he'll have a holster on his hip and everything.

It's a 9mm, get it right. :lol:

Seeing 14 guys franchised (including a kicker and punter) tells me these teams are really unsure, no matter how many capologists they have, about what will happen. I'm thinking there will eventually be a lockout as ownership fights players over their respective share of league revenue.

According to PFT, the actual salary cap went up 4M today when it was realized teams underspent last year. No matter how you break it down, teams are going to try and spend less. IIRC, more than 15 teams had 20M in cap space, and so long as they get to about 110M, they're fine.

Economics is driving the train, and an uncapped year will alter the landscape permanently.

My 2 cents.........

I really dont see the NFL having a uncapped year. I feel there will be a extention.

BUT.........

Most owners are not happy with the current CBA and there will be a change. I can see the NFLPA throwing fits early next spring but there will be a drastic change in spending. Buffalo is not the only city having problems and needing revenue sharing....

If a new CBA is not signed, the current one stays in effect. If this happens , there are a number of provisions that are not favorable to the players. Erik mentioned the 6 years to become an UFA. That is huge. The owners also get another franchise tag. I am not sure of the others but an uncapped year does not spell disaster.