Laveranues Coles Released

I'd take Coles in a heartbeat as #2. Set him up with a 3-4 year deal, which gives him 1-2 years to start opposite Evans and let Johnson and Hardy develop. It also allows Reed to work out of the slot where's the most effective.

ON FURTHER REVIEW, COLES WALKED AWAY FROM HIS $6 MILLION

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2009, 5:55 p.m.

OK, now this is getting weird.

Despite a report in the New York Daily News that the guaranteed $6 million in base salary that receiver Laveranues Coles is due to earn from the Jets will be reduced by whatever he earns elsewhere, Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger has clarified for us that Coles has walked away from the guaranteed payment.

So, in other words, Coles gave up $6 million guaranteed in search of even more.

So, in other words, the Jets owe him nothing.

There’s a fine line between bravery and stupidity. As to where Coles falls on this specific issue, we’ll all have to wait and see.

UPDATE: Rich Cimini of the Daily News has since updated his item to point out that, indeed, Coles left $6 million on the table

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

If Coles turned down $6 million from the Jets, I'd say there is zero chance he will be a Buffalo Bill. I don't see the Bills paying more than that for a 32 yr-old #2 receiver who has 1-2 more good years. Although I do think he would be an upgrade.