Hey Bobby, maybe they should shut down the weather service too!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy, is the looney left already trying to give Jindal the Palin treatment? Amazing how their hysteria continues unabated even with the Messiah-Nancy dream team running the show.

lol wat? If Palin was smart she'd give Jindal the Palin treatment, Alaska probably needs volcano monitoring worse than most states and he just bashed it on national TV on behalf of her party.

Anyways glad to see your criticisms are so sophisticated that you can just put labels on everything. "Palin treatment", "Messiah-Nancy dream team". If you put a label on it, then you don't have to bother with actually understanding what it is.

Oh.. here.

http://indigentahole.blogspot.com/2009/02/...hit-insane.html

Alaska probably needs volcano monitoring worse than most states and he just bashed it on national TV on behalf of her party.http://indigentahole.blogspot.com/2009/02/...hit-insane.html

Again, the issue isn't whether there is a need for volcano monitoring. The issue is simply "WTF does volcano monitoring have to do with creating jobs and stimulating the economy?"

Again, the issue isn't whether there is a need for volcano monitoring. The issue is simply "WTF does volcano monitoring have to do with creating jobs and stimulating the economy?"

Or "Why couldn't this be put in the regular budget?"

The House just passed another spending bill today...$410B. At this rate, Congress is going to balance the budget through the simple expident of moving all spending into supplemental spending bills. :nana:

What is the old adage? When the economy is bad, to fix it you pay people to dig holes and fill them back up.

To stimulate the economy you have to spend money on something. I mean volcano monitoring is a bit more useful than a full hole, between that and the fact that it's an actual need that provides a safety infrastructure.. I'd say its worth a little bit of money.

What would you have them spend money on? Money needs to be spent. Safety is a good place to spend it.

Oh boy, is the looney left already trying to give Jindal the Palin treatment? Amazing how their hysteria continues unabated even with the Messiah-Nancy dream team running the show.

Even the looney right is abusing Jindal. That was a pitiful performance for a guy that I thought had a lot going for him. Bad timing for a bad speech that was very poorly delivered. Not a good sign.

What is the old adage? When the economy is bad, to fix it you pay people to dig holes and fill them back up.

To stimulate the economy you have to spend money on something. I mean volcano monitoring is a bit more useful than a full hole, between that and the fact that it's an actual need that provides a safety infrastructure.. I'd say its worth a little bit of money.

What would you have them spend money on? Money needs to be spent. Safety is a good place to spend it.

One more time: how does this promote jobs and help the economy, which is what this entire stimulus package is about?

How many jobs will be created? How many? Do you have any idea?

Neither does the current administration.

One more time: how does this promote jobs and help the economy, which is what this entire stimulus package is about?

How many jobs will be created? How many? Do you have any idea?

The "entire stimulus package" is not at all supposed to be only about promoting jobs. That's about a quarter of it, and has been from day one. It was always, always, always supposed to do several things at once. Put money in people's hands soon with tax cuts and extending unemployment benefits, start some jobs soon, some jobs in the mid term and some in the long term that will eventually change the economy (the green jobs and alternative energy, etc.) It was also always, always, always designed to feature a lot of training and retraining of workers, and help education from pre-K to college which is almost one quarter of the package. The immediate jobs element of the package was always supposed to be about a quarter of it, if that.

Obama has repeatedly stated that this bill will create or save an estimated 3.5 million jobs. I would put spending like this clearly in the "saving" jobs category, as opposed to creating. Granted it may create a couple, but certainly not many.

These types of projects aren't nearly as wasteful as everyone seems to think. Money from something like this goes directly back into the economy in a variety of ways. Much of the work is probably through Universities, hence university overhead keeping administrators employed. Researchers are famous for using grant money to buy supplies, equipment, reagents, and so forth - they'll spend every dime they get; plus they'll hire/support Post Docs with the money. One thing is for certain, if you give someone $100 dollars for a research grant; they'll spend every penny of that - none of it goes into a bank or account.

Granted we can argue should they be spending money on this particular research project? Should they be spending it as part of this bill and not some other bill? And so forth. But, I'm less worried about this kind of spending helping the economy than I am money to some governmental program.

I guess everyone just assumes researchers and the industries that support them don't need an economic boost like the housing/auto industry does?

Even the looney right is abusing Jindal. That was a pitiful performance for a guy that I thought had a lot going for him. Bad timing for a bad speech that was very poorly delivered. Not a good sign.

Interestingly, I was in LA last night with a very highly conservative republican watching the prez and then Jindal. Even he thought Jindal blew it. He was fairly disappointed when it was all said and done. It was a whiskey night needless to say.

I'm sure they have some estimate. I would bet its something along the lines of "money put towards the project, minus equipment and overhead costs, divided by yearly salary".

Edit: here LA, apparently in addition to jobs, volcano monitoring saves lives and protects property and loss of money through property damage.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/090...monitoring.html