Congrats to the Buffalo News!

Lori

The News takes a lot of abuse here, but the Associated Press Sports Editors apparently have a different opinion. The 2008 APSE awards are starting to roll out, and The News earned a Top 10 finish in daily sections, honorable mention for Sundays, in the 100,000 - 250,000 circulation category. Congrats to Sports Editor Steve Jones and everyone on staff for doing some great work during a trying and emotional year for them.

Individual writing awards are still in the pipeline, but News sportswriters have done well there lately, too, with Keith McShea's Daytona 500 game story earning an honorable mention last year.

And while I'm here, mad props to a friend at the Harrisburg Patriot-News for a kickass football tab which earned his paper a Top 10 in Special Sections.

The News takes a lot of abuse here, but the Associated Press Sports Editors apparently have a different opinion. The 2008 APSE awards are starting to roll out, and The News earned a Top 10 finish in daily sections, honorable mention for Sundays, in the 100,000 - 250,000 circulation category. Congrats to Sports Editor Steve Jones and everyone on staff for doing some great work during a trying and emotional year for them.

Individual writing awards are still in the pipeline, but News sportswriters have done well there lately, too, with Keith McShea's Daytona 500 game story earning an honorable mention last year.

And while I'm here, mad props to a friend at the Harrisburg Patriot-News for a kickass football tab which earned his paper a Top 10 in Special Sections.

Too bad it is harder and harder for papers to survive ... The News does a great job but their challenge is great.

I wonder if Sullivan or Gleason will win any individual awards...

This year's columns aren't up yet, but Sully did garner an honorable mention two years ago. And with guys like Ian O'Connor and Geoff Calkins in the same bracket, that ain't bad.