Bills should try Hargrove again, he was VERY good

Chuckknox

He has 3 strikes against him now, one more and he really is history. We don't need the headaches, Lynch is taking care of that category for us. I agree though, if the people who want to bring him back are the same people who want to trade Lynch really are hypocrites.

We could have used that type of guy last year.

Man, things must be really bad if we're begging for a guy that had 2 sacks in 22 games as a Bill. I must've been watching a different guy. I know he's got a lot of energy, and I've seen him wave his arms around a bunch before plays trying to get the crowd into it, but if the Bills are going to bring someone in, a guy with more career sacks than Kendrick Office would be appreciated.

Man, things must be really bad if we're begging for a guy that had 2 sacks in 22 games as a Bill. I must've been watching a different guy. I know he's got a lot of energy, and I've seen him wave his arms around a bunch before plays trying to get the crowd into it, but if the Bills are going to bring someone in, a guy with more career sacks than Kendrick Office would be appreciated.

the numbers don't tell hargrove's story. he was constantly providing pressure from wherever he was lined up on the line, even if he has a paltry amount of sacks to show for it.

the numbers don't tell hargrove's story. he was constantly providing pressure from wherever he was lined up on the line, even if he has a paltry amount of sacks to show for it.

I realize numbers aren't everything, but to use the phrase "very good" to describe Hargrove is, in my opinion, extremely misplaced. A very good defensive end gets sacks. While I strongly disagree that Hargrove provided consistent pressure (the only time I noticed the guy on the field was before the play when he'd wave his arms around like he needed a straight-jacket...oh yeah and on special teams; he was actually pretty good there), I do understand that pressure is important even if it doesn't produce sacks.

This board routinely verbally-slaughters guys like Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney because they don't get sacks. I'm not defending them, but they put just as much pressure on the QB as Hargrove. Even Aaron Schobel gets lasered by the fans and media, and here's a guy that had as many sacks in the last 6 years as Jason Taylor. But Hargrove? People talk about him like he's some elite pass rusher or something, and there's absolutely nothing to support that kind of opinion.

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, Bizell, and I hope it does not read that way. I simply have no idea why people insist on saying that Hargrove was anything more than a 4th DE for the team, and a shoddy one at that. Buffalo's defense was not one iota better with Hargrove around than it is right now without him. Sure, there's an argument that he's better than Buffalo's 4th DE right now, but if the team is going to upgrade, they may as well get someone that can produce sacks and big plays, not just get within 2 yards of the QB.

I could be wrong here, but doesn't Hargrove have to serve a suspension when he comes back, too?

No. The original news story is that he has finished serving his 12 month suspension and has been reinstated by the NFL.

My recollection of Anthony Hargrove is pretty recent of course. He played for the Bills in 2007.

I remember him as being a very enthusiastic football player who his teammates loved. He willingly played special teams and did so pretty well.

From scrimmage he was an energy player...lots of effort and so-so results. He never developed a repertoire of pass rush moves but chased very well in the open field. He had good size and strength and held up well when moved inside on passing downs although he wasn't a major force as a pocket pusher.

But he was a good depth player. To me, what you're really asking is if you want him to displace Chris Ellis or Copeland Bryant as a DE reserve.

FYI, the Bills acquired him for a 5th round pick in the 2007 draft. The Rams then traded down with Kansas City. The Chiefs took RB Kolby Smith and the Rams took DT Clifton Ryan who is a part time starter for them. The best players to come out of that round after the Bills' slot (if we had kept it and in perfect hindsight) were Giants tight end Kevin Boss and Philly tight end Brad Celek.