Haynesworth to Skins?

DwightSchrute

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

impossible. numerous people on this board told me all the way back in november that the titans wouldn't let haynesworth get away under any circumstances, despite the fact they couldn't place the f-tag on him.

I will admit, I was on that band wagon. This came fom the fact that Albert stated he really wanted to stay in Tenn, and Tenn said they really wanted to keep him. This was solidified with Tenn and Albert entering into negotiations early and looked to be a pretty sure bet to get done. So all signs pointed at his resigning in Tenn and it looked to be more of a long shot that he wouldn't. I would guess its about 50-50 now...

The absurd contracts already being shelled out this offseason though has sky rocketed his price to absurd levels, so Tenn may now be balking at such a high price for a guy who cant stay healthy and plays 60% of the snaps.

I will admit, I was on that band wagon. This came fom the fact that Albert stated he really wanted to stay in Tenn, and Tenn said they really wanted to keep him. This was solidified with Tenn and Albert entering into negotiations early and looked to be a pretty sure bet to get done. So all signs pointed at his resigning in Tenn and it looked to be more of a long shot that he wouldn't. I would guess its about 50-50 now...

The absurd contracts already being shelled out this offseason though has sky rocketed his price to absurd levels, so Tenn may now be balking at such a high price for a guy who cant stay healthy and plays 60% of the snaps.

So do you or don't you think it would be a dumb idea to sign Haynesworth to the contract he wants or not? :rolleyes:

So do you or don't you think it would be a dumb idea to sign Haynesworth to the contract he wants or not? :rolleyes:

I posted earlier on this thread that I think it would be a mistake. I dont think he is worth that much money. His reputation for taking plays off, his injury history is worse than Trents, and he only plays about 60% of the plays from what I read in Tenn.

Dont ge me wrong, I think he is a great player and would love to see him in Buffalo, but I question what his motivation will be once he gets this contract and will he stay healthy. I would pass on him at the level of contract he wants and is being rumored to being offered out of Washington.

haynesworth made comments back in november that he wanted to get paid and that was his #1 priority......of course, this was very unsurprising given that 95% of NFL players operate this way........i don't know how you heard that and interpreted it as a contract was a "pretty sure bet" with tennessee - i certainly think you were in the minority with that poor reasoning

unsurprisingly tennessee tried to retain him (why wouldn't they?), and unsurprisingly haynesworth listened (why wouldn't he?), but the gap was significant

at the end of the day it was never that complicated - he just wants to get paid and has no loyalty to tennessee.......we knew this long ago.....given the fact tennessee wasn't allowed to tag him they never had a leg up on anyone, as teams tamper constantly and the haynesworth camp is well aware what is out there vs. the offer they are seeing from the titans......the top dollar will get him

I absolutely agree. The Skins are notorious for overpaying for FA's. Snyder for years has tried to build a team with big name FA's you would think that he would learn that his methods are unsuccessful.

Yep, he shouldn't sign free agents that excite the fan base. He should give his fan base crumbs of hope, and make the most money he can.

I know some people will call Ralph cheap for not signing him to a similar contract but, stupid contracts are stupid contracts and in no way reflect on Raph's willingness to pay FA's. Willingness to spend and willingness to spend stupidly are two very different things. :blink:

Willing to spend and willing to spend to get great players is different too.

You're right man. Haynesworth has really helped them win and make the playoffs while he's been there. They don't do much as a team without him, but how much have they done with him? He strikes me as an !@#$, me-first type of player, who could easily decide part of the way into a contract that he doesn't want to play for the team or contract anymore. Also, how good do you think he'll be when he's 32?

I'm not saying I'd rather have Williams and Johnson, but I have a problem with getting some one like him where there is a real potential of him only playing 6 or 8 games and the Bills only being competitive in those games. I'd rather build a team that will play 16 games than one that will play 8.

Once again another great post. I agree, I would much rather have a guy play real bad for 16 games. Than a guy that plays off the charts great for 8. This way you don't have to worry about a big drop off in play, just start out and end that way.

Yep, he shouldn't sign free agents that excite the fan base. He should give his fan base crumbs of hope, and make the most money he can.

Well I respect Snyder's efforts to make his team a winner.

That said his meddling and lack of a clear organizational doctrine make him no better than Ralph IMO.

Really the biggest difference is that the Redskins have the highest revenue in the league at $327 million per year (New England is second making $45 million per year less) and the Bills revenue is 27th in the league at $206 million.

Is Snyder a better businessman than Ralph? Probably, he's wealthier. But the Bills are considered a well run small market franchise, at least in non-football related business.

Is he a better or more astute team owner? Probably not. His war chest is $121 million per year more. Since he bought the team in 1999 the Redskins have 76 wins, the Bills have 71.

Snyder spends more because he has a lot more money to throw away. And his results have been lousy especially when considering how much money he's burned.

Well I respect Snyder's efforts to make his team a winner.

That said his meddling and lack of a clear organizational doctrine make him no better than Ralph IMO.

Really the biggest difference is that the Redskins have the highest revenue in the league at $327 million per year (New England is second making $45 million per year less) and the Bills revenue is 27th in the league at $206 million.

Is Snyder a better businessman than Ralph? Probably, he's wealthier. But the Bills are considered a well run small market franchise, at least in non-football related business.

Is he a better or more astute team owner? Probably not. His war chest is $121 million per year more. Since he bought the team in 1999 the Redskins have 76 wins, the Bills have 71.

Snyder spends more because he has a lot more money to throw away. And his results have been lousy especially when considering how much money he's burned.

Don't kid yourself. Ralph Wilson has been making a lot of money for a very long time. Certainly the Redskins generate more money, but that is a separate issue. What I am saying is Ralph can afford to spend to the cap, and we don't. Snyder does, and it would fun to be a fan.

The post I was responding to was alluding that Snyder runs a chaotic organization because he goes after big name FA's. I disagree, and would think his fan base has a lot of fun knowing their owner will sign big ticket players. I would be digressing if I didn't make mention that I think we are more than capable of signing these type of free agents on a more regular basis than we do, and we just don't.

Don't kid yourself. Ralph Wilson has been making a lot of money for a very long time. Certainly the Redskins generate more money, but that is a separate issue. What I am saying is Ralph can afford to spend to the cap, and we don't. Snyder does, and it would fun to be a fan.

The post I was responding to was alluding that Snyder runs a chaotic organization because he goes after big name FA's. I disagree, and would think his fan base has a lot of fun knowing their owner will sign big ticket players. I would be digressing if I didn't make mention that I think we are more than capable of signing these type of free agents on a more regular basis than we do, and we just don't.

Your point is well taken Buffalonian but one other big difference is that the big revenue, cash rich teams can pay bonuses with cash on hand. Team like the Bills often have to finance these charges and pay interest on the loans so teams like the Redskins do have a big advantage when it comes to dealing with the cap. I think the Bills spending is pretty commensurate with their revenues if you look at team revenues compared to their salary burden.

And yes, that is frustrating.

I would obviously love Haynesworth to Buffalo but not at those dollars. Just about every team is interested in signing him, but only one team is naive enough to pay those kinds of dollars, and that's the Skins.

I wouldn't give him $100 million but I would give him $75 over six years. But it would have to include some performance and playing time incentive clauses.

haynesworth made comments back in november that he wanted to get paid and that was his #1 priority......of course, this was very unsurprising given that 95% of NFL players operate this way........i don't know how you heard that and interpreted it as a contract was a "pretty sure bet" with tennessee - i certainly think you were in the minority with that poor reasoning

unsurprisingly tennessee tried to retain him (why wouldn't they?), and unsurprisingly haynesworth listened (why wouldn't he?), but the gap was significant

at the end of the day it was never that complicated - he just wants to get paid and has no loyalty to tennessee.......we knew this long ago.....given the fact tennessee wasn't allowed to tag him they never had a leg up on anyone, as teams tamper constantly and the haynesworth camp is well aware what is out there vs. the offer they are seeing from the titans......the top dollar will get him

Haynesworth said many times, and still does, that he wants to stay in Tennessee. He said Tenn is, and would always be, his first choice. Of course if a team like Washington is willing to give him absurd money he's gonna probably take it, especially if Tenn is far below in their offers.

But the two sides quickly went into contract negotiations with the intent on getting a deal done. Both said they want each other. Both continue to work towards him staying there and from what I hear are still working on a contract even though he is going to test Free Agency and neither has closed the door on a return. Most analysts believed he would stay too as Tenn was even more motivated to retain him after the play of their D dropped off significantly with his injury. This was a wide spread belief that he would stay there when negotiations started, so I am not sure why you think that was the minority belief.

He still remains Tenn top priority, but with the absurg contracts being handed out, I don't think they are going to be willing to pay him what others teams like washington are willing to overpay him.

Your point is well taken Buffalonian but one other big difference is that the big revenue, cash rich teams can pay bonuses with cash on hand. Team like the Bills often have to finance these charges and pay interest on the loans so teams like the Redskins do have a big advantage when it comes to dealing with the cap. I think the Bills spending is pretty commensurate with their revenues if you look at team revenues compared to their salary burden.

And yes, that is frustrating.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that the Redskins have more cash over the cap, but that isn't my argument. I am saying that teams like Dallas, Washington, etc, can go after big ticket free agents every year because of their cash over the cap capabilities. Buffalo should be able to make pushes for these same players every 2-3 years, because we don't keep our own talent when they price Buffalo out of the running (ie Clements).

But on the years where we are 27 million under the cap, and with several salaries we could unload (ie Kelsay, Ko Simpson), we should be vying for Haynesworth or Housh. And still have money to extend peters, etc. We just don't do it. We sign 3-4 non impact players.

1 mil a game for any player is too much i dont care who they are

But yet you and I will still buy the jersey's, tickets, etc that contradicts your statement and says "you are worth 1 Mil a game". So instead of saying he's not worth it, let's say " hey I am paying either way, so why not get these type of impact players on my team"?

But yet you and I will still buy the jersey's, tickets, etc that contradicts your statement and says "you are worth 1 Mil a game". So instead of saying he's not worth it, let's say " hey I am paying either way, so why not get these type of impact players on my team"?

uh, no i wont

i havent been to a live football game in 15 years and the only jerseys i had of recent players were gifts that I sold so no I didnt contradict my statement, 1 mil a game is too much for any player