Restricted Free Agents

From Bristol, CT:

With the free agency period starting on Friday, it's the right time to freshen up on what happens to players not quite ready for prime time: restricted free agents.

By definition, RFAs have three years of NFL experience. They become unrestricted free agents Friday only if their teams decline to offer one-year contracts at prescribed amounts. We will see that happen quite a bit this year as the minimum qualifying offer exceeds $1 million.

The four-tiered pay scale for restricted free agents carries 2009 salaries of $1.01 million, $1.545 million, $2.198 million and $2.792 million. The more teams offer by the Thursday deadline, the more they would receive in return if they decided against matching an offer from another team.

The lowest offer would return a draft choice in the round the player was drafted. If the player was not drafted, the original team would receive nothing in return.

* Teams making the $1.545 million offer would receive a 2009 second-round choice from the other team.

* Teams making the $2.198 million offer would receive a 2009 first-round pick.

* Teams offering $2.792 million would receive 2009 first- and third-round choices.

Teams have until Thursday to make qualifying offers.

From Bristol, CT:

With the free agency period starting on Friday, it's the right time to freshen up on what happens to players not quite ready for prime time: restricted free agents.

By definition, RFAs have three years of NFL experience. They become unrestricted free agents Friday only if their teams decline to offer one-year contracts at prescribed amounts. We will see that happen quite a bit this year as the minimum qualifying offer exceeds $1 million.

The four-tiered pay scale for restricted free agents carries 2009 salaries of $1.01 million, $1.545 million, $2.198 million and $2.792 million. The more teams offer by the Thursday deadline, the more they would receive in return if they decided against matching an offer from another team.

The lowest offer would return a draft choice in the round the player was drafted. If the player was not drafted, the original team would receive nothing in return.

* Teams making the $1.545 million offer would receive a 2009 second-round choice from the other team.

* Teams making the $2.198 million offer would receive a 2009 first-round pick.

* Teams offering $2.792 million would receive 2009 first- and third-round choices.

Teams have until Thursday to make qualifying offers.

Hey thanks for pointing this out. This is some interesting information. I don't post much anymore but I read some of your posts lately and I like what you have to say.

To elaborate on the content of your message I came across this article about some of the Bengals' FAs. They are not going to tender LB Corey Mays. I could see Buffalo having possible interest in a player like him.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7524

Hey thanks for pointing this out. This is some interesting information. I don't post much anymore but I read some of your posts lately and I like what you have to say.

To elaborate on the content of your message I came across this article about some of the Bengals' FAs. They are not going to tender LB Corey Mays. I could see Buffalo having possible interest in a player like him.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7524

Seems like the kind of player they'd gravitate to. Special teams ace, undrafted free agent, Notre Dame and two seasons with the Patriots...if they do I hope it's later in free agency though.

Could you imagine if he was taken early in free agency? The howls of protest and the negativity. The sarcastic posts.

By the way, it's interesting the Bengals aren't going to tender him at all. And people think Ralph is cheap. Ralph looks like Bill Gates compared to Mike Brown.