Why the media...

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

I fully agree... and it happens all the TIME on this board. A day without the New York Times, the three major networks, Fox News, and Drudge is a day well spent for example.

Interesting read, and the part about gerrymandering so we have the most conservatives and most liberals and few centrists, I think is correct. We need to compromise rather than tell each other to go eff ourselves.

As far as the media, I don't think there's some kind of liberal conspiracy. On the editorial pages and some of the Sunday morning talking heads (and Pat Robertson...), there are leanings, but you know what? That's the op-ed page. Ergo, it's not "news." That's like reading the Sunday Funnies and thinking you're going to find String Theory discussion. And it comes from both sides.

What we do have is information gaps b/c media is constrained by space/time limitations. Reporting that 10 soldiers died in Iraq today is not a liberal news story. If you think Nightline is biased b/c it listed the names of all the soldiers killed in combat, maybe you need to re-evaluate where the problem lies. People who object to that just don't like the facts or don't want them aired b/c it's not "good for their cause." We don't cry foul when they read the names of 9/11 victims or at the Vietnam Memorial.... The media reports facts and other people's (often gov't types) opinions on the issues. That's what the quote marks mean. You take it for what it's worth.

Economists take it as a given that people are rational beings and consumers and make their own choices based on their best interests. In this, information is the limiting agent b/c it is costly, time-consuming, etc. Even then, just watching "liberal" media doesn't guarantee anything if you have ANY idea how hard it is to change people's opinions about even the smallest of things; it's the same reason why subliminal advertising doesn't work except to reinforce things you already believe (like some supermarkets actually do use "Don't steal" or "Be honest" in b/w the elevator music). But it makes for a nice cop-out to say that the media has directly created the split.

two more words: James Carville

We can do this all day.

96265[/snapback]

Five more words: "Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein". If those two didn't become media stars themselves because of All The President's Men and the Watergate story, a lot if not most of this "I am the story" stuff, and scandal crap, and reporters trying to get the most dirt on someone to make a name for themselves not for the story, would be far, far, far less.