Jim Calhoun(UConn) vs College Reporter (kid)

DrDawkinstein

I expect more class from these coaches.

i think the fact that they go before the press every night after their job is done and answer questions/justify performance is class enough. you can argue that it's "part of their job", but none of us have to answer to the public every night.

In a way, I agree with you. But as a reporter, if you were to approach Calhoun in the hall afterward and asked that question, he would have blown it off. In front of the press, you figure he has to answer it. The reporter probably was trying to make a name for himself; but he also asked a hard question in the forum where he figured he would get an answer.

I generally dislike Calhoun as a recruiter and how he works the officials during games--so I'm biased. But I would have been disappointed if Jim Boeheim launched into a similar tirade. I expect more class from these coaches.

According to the senior Hartford Courant sports columnist I quoted above, the reporter was invited by Calhoun to discuss the issue in the hall after the post-game. (Which suggests to me that Calhoun's temper/irritation had subsided and he wanted to seriously address the question.) This invitation was declined. As I wrote above, this tells me everything I need to know about the questioner's intent. If Kreyske were really after the story, as any journo will tell you, he would have met with Calhoun. The guy didn't want an answer, he wanted a scene.

And let's be clear. I'm well aware that officially you don't need any kind of credential/education requirement to be a reporter b/c that would be against the First Amendment. ... But, the man involved is otherwise a longstanding political operative in the Green Party, and I guess they are trying to make some kind of point. He is not a student reporter as the thread title asserts.

According to the senior Hartford Courant sports columnist I quoted above, the reporter was invited by Calhoun to discuss the issue in the hall after the post-game. (Which suggests to me that Calhoun's temper/irritation had subsided and he wanted to address the question.) This invitation was declined. Read my comments above for my thoughts on this.

Who in their right mind would accept that invitation after Calhoun's tirade? The reporter probably didn't want to risk another tirade (or worse). I just don't buy the "the question should have been asked at a different time" argument; sometimes reporters get better answers when they ask uncomfortable, inopportune questions.

Calhoun should have been more respectful in the press room. He's probably sorry he didn't handle it better.

And let's be clear. I'm well aware that officially you don't need any kind of credential/education requirement to be a reporter b/c that would be against the First Amendment. ... But, the man involved is otherwise a longstanding political operative in the Green Party, and I guess they are trying to make some kind of point. He is not a college reporter as the thread title asserts.

You might not need any kind of credential to be a reporter but you do need one to gain access to the press conference don't you. You don't want idiots like me walking around behind the scenes.

You might not need any kind of credential to be a reporter but you do need one to gain access to the press conference don't you. You don't want idiots like me walking around behind the scenes.

Which lead me to wonder about it in an above post. Dude isn't affiliated but he got access. A post-BB-game presser isn't quite to the tune of the whole Jeff-Gannon-Gate thing at the White House, but you just wonder who gave this guy a photog pass (and did he even have a professional-style camera?) and what their purpose was. As I said, it may be a little passive-aggressive posturing from the U/state in Calhoun's contract year.

Yeah, most schools do a pretty good job of verifying that the person is a member of the working media and is assigned to the game or a story before issuing credentials. Looks like this one slipped through the cracks, and/or UConn might be reevaluating their policies.