Jim Calhoun(UConn) vs College Reporter (kid)

DrDawkinstein

I saw this earlier in the day and thought to myself, "atta boy Calhoun" (might be the first time that thought ever entered my mind as G-town fan), this "reporter" took his title a little too seriously and tried to go "1970s-and-80's-Sixty-minutes-Mike-Wallace" on him and he slapped him down.

I don't think coaches are above reproach at all, but this was neither the time nor place to ask that question, the reporter was just trying for a cheap "look at me" moment.

If there were a real budget crisis the college would cut non-revenue producing athletics. It would do a cost benefit analysis of basketball, pretty much as Calhoun did on a spur of the moment...and Calhoun would probably be safe as can be as long as he produced revenue.

they actually talked about this on jim rome yesterday and said how many millions he brings IN to the university.. so good point

they actually talked about this on jim rome yesterday and said how many millions he brings IN to the university.. so good point

Besides the $ brought in via ticket sales, etc. ($14M for a championship, which we've won 2 under him), there's the free advertising he brings to the U. In the late-80s/early-90s UConn was a !@#$ hole. It was a !@#$ hole. Attention via the sports programs brought on $2B of state funding to make it what it is today --- an elite public university that now delivers back to the state three-fold in economic output.

The athletic dept has been self-supportive for a long time, and same as other schools, basketball and football pay the way for the lower-tiered sports that are required for Title IX and give opportunity to a lot of students and enjoyment to fans.

This is to say nothing of all the stuff that the coaches have given back to the U. E.g. For the library renovation, Auriemma donated funding for a large reading room and the book self-check-out center (which is why Calhoun's "I'm not giving a penny back' wasn't accurate, in his own favor). It's the way the books are organized that makes the coaches technically a 'state employee.' How many other single state employees bring in the kind of $ they do?

This is to say nothing of all the stuff that the coaches have given back to the U. E.g. For the library renovation, Auriemma donated funding for a large reading room and the book self-check-out center (which is why Calhoun's "I'm not giving a penny back' wasn't accurate, in his own favor). It's the way the books are organized that makes the coaches technically a 'state employee.' How many other single state employees bring in the kind of $ they do?

I do play by play for Cornell women's basketball, and they made the NCAA tournament last year as a 16 seed, facing Connecticut. When I got to the media bench for the game (held at nearby Fairfield University), Geno was chatting it up with another reporter so I waited until they were done talking and introduced myself, telling him how great it was to meet a legend. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to and he gave me a lot of words of encouragement as a young reporter. He even granted me a 10 minute long interview that I could play on the sports talk show I host. Needless to say, I root for UConn women's basketball now (when they aren't facing the Cornell ladies, anyway). Just a great guy.

I do play by play for Cornell women's basketball, and they made the NCAA tournament last year as a 16 seed, facing Connecticut. When I got to the media bench for the game (held at nearby Fairfield University), Geno was chatting it up with another reporter so I waited until they were done talking and introduced myself, telling him how great it was to meet a legend. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to and he gave me a lot of words of encouragement as a young reporter. He even granted me a 10 minute long interview that I could play on the sports talk show I host. Needless to say, I root for UConn women's basketball now (when they aren't facing the Cornell ladies, anyway). Just a great guy.

Back when I was at the U, I'd see him jogging around campus pretty often. Never said anything, he probably enjoys that as a moment of peace and I don't like to bother people. Saw and met many of the players --- men's and women's --- too. Actually sat next to Sue Bird in a gen-ed class one of the years they won the national championship... she's a good sh-- and pretty good-looking (I made no attempts there, tho).

I hope this douchebag got the message not to f--- with a legend w/o hard proof. That was just an a--hole thing to do.

I went to a private dinner party that included Geno, Rebecca Lobo, Svetlana, Summer Sanders and a bunch others. Geno is a great guy! He was pretty wise too. There were some interesting guests there. One used to book concerts and was telling all sorts of great stories from the 70s- many off color. Well Geno knew just when to leave the room during that conversation. Calhoun lives in Madison- my old hometown. He used to come into my restaurant all the time

That said, the governor wasn't too keen on the outburst. She called Calhoun's response an "embarrassing display."

After a night's rest, maybe it was. He could simply have said that that's his negotiated contract, the team makes lots of money for the U and the state, he gives plenty of money back to the U and the state through his gifts and multiple charities, he doesn't want to talk about financials and that this post-game presser isn't the venue, next question. What can you say? It's the Irish in him, ya know? That personality that makes him an effective coach to the tune of 2 national championships isn't something he leaves on the hardwood --- it is him. A little gruff... but the dude didn't even come prepared with any facts or figures and admitted so on the tape. If he was really interested in discussing the financials, he would've and should've known the financials. As it was, this little turd was there to be the story.

Wonder how all this affects a contract negotiation (his contract is up at the end of this season). Also wondering if this wasn't a little preconceived passive-aggressive stunt on the state's/U's part in advance of any negotiation... e.g. to create the air that the state is hard up and people want him to give money back, so he'd better not be looking for more than he's making now --- $1.6M/yr.

Calhoun is the punk.

Reporters ask questions; if you don't like them, then don't answer. Don't be a jerk about it. I thought the reporter's question was fair game--everyone has been questioning the salaries of these "state employee" coaches (e.g., Pete Carroll).

It was a fair question, but a postgame press conference isn't the time or place for that sort of question. You're supposed to ask basketball questions in that setting. It was obvious the jerk was just trying to make a name for himself.

A good write-up by Jeff Jacobs of the Courant.

Calhoun Owes Answer, Not Refund

If you thought Krayeske was some kind of self-serving anarchist before Saturday, you believe it even more today.

If you thought Calhoun was an uncontrolled bully, you believe it even more today.

Neither stereotype begins to capture the complexities of either. As Calhoun would say, life is not a snapshot. It's a motion picture. Yet as you repeatedly watch the video you can't help but shake your head. Such a serious topic should have elevated the discussion of big-time sports in a depressed economy.

So this is my call: Legit question at the wrong time.

I spoke with Krayeske for the first time Sunday. He wasn't buying my argument he should have at least waited a few minutes before he spoke. He maintained being assertive and going first guarantees an answer.

In this case, it only guaranteed national exposure, and Krayeske now must look within himself and ask if this was his real motive.

Surely he knew he was waving the red cape at the bull. Assertive did get him an invitation from Calhoun to go outside and discuss the matter at the conclusion of the group conference. Krayeske refused. He shouldn't have.

This last graph in my quote says all I need to know. Calhoun can be abrasive, it's his style, you just accept it. (And hey, he doesn't throw chairs and choke his players --- his abrasiveness is words.) He offered to talk to the reporter after the post-game and the little turd stole off into the night. Tells me all I need to know.

Krayeske didn't want a story. He wanted a scene. Picked the easiest mark in Calhoun.

(BTW, in something remembered by the state's journos, this dude was arrested for impeding the gov's inaugural parade a while back too. Anyone see a pattern here?)

It was a fair question, but a postgame press conference isn't the time or place for that sort of question. You're supposed to ask basketball questions in that setting. It was obvious the jerk was just trying to make a name for himself.

In a way, I agree with you. But as a reporter, if you were to approach Calhoun in the hall afterward and asked that question, he would have blown it off. In front of the press, you figure he has to answer it. The reporter probably was trying to make a name for himself; but he also asked a hard question in the forum where he figured he would get an answer.

I generally dislike Calhoun as a recruiter and how he works the officials during games--so I'm biased. But I would have been disappointed if Jim Boeheim launched into a similar tirade. I expect more class from these coaches.