Cushing Looking Like a Solid Option

H2o

I don't see how we could go wrong with this guy now if we can't trade down from #11. He was a top performer in almost every drill at the combine. He ran a 4.74 40(7th), had 30 bench reps(tops and no surprise at all), a 35" vertical(9th), a 10' broad jump(7th), 3-cone drill 6.84(tops), and a 4.22 in the 20-yard shuttle(4th). He played multiple positions in his time at USC including Safety at one point so he can cover from the LB spot. The guy is a freakish physical specimen with the strength to shake anybody. I think that he would be the safest bet and would be a good if not great player on our defense. He wouldn't solve our pass rushing problems, but he would immediately fill Crowell's old spot in the LB group. Opening day starter for sure :thumbsup:

I have liked cushing all year, and I think he is a safe choice. But if we pick Cushing, I believe The Bills are under more pressure to get some talent through FA. Clay Matthews looks good too. I wonder what the chances are that Matthews could make it to the second round to us.

I have liked cushing all year, and I think he is a safe choice. But if we pick Cushing, I believe The Bills are under more pressure to get some talent through FA. Clay Matthews looks good too. I wonder what the chances are that Matthews could make it to the second round to us.

Very perceptive, Magox. DraftTek has Clay Matthews going to Green Bay in Round 2, the pick before us. It has had Cushing as our Round 1 pick for weeks, and only because BJ Raji slipped to us did they change from Cushing last night. That'd be a tough decision for the Bills War Room--Raji or Cushing, if it came to that. A delightful problem.

Brian Cushing, ILB

* Height: 6'3"

* Weight: 243

* College: Southern Cal

* Conference: Pac 10

* Hometown: Park Ridge, NJ

* High School: Bergen Catholic

Overview

While teammate Rey Maualuga generated most of the headlines over their respective careers, it could be the versatile Cushing who enjoys the last laugh come draft day. While he has struggled with durability at times, Cushing held up in 2008, starting all 13 games for the Trojans and earning second-team AP All-American accolades despite rather pedestrian statistics (73 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks).

NFL scouts don't admire Cushing for his statistics, but for his versatility. Athletic and instinctive enough to star at linebacker and yet big and strong enough to compete at defensive end -- as he did in starting 13 games at the position in 2006 when injuries forced the Trojans to be creative -- Cushing is arguably the draft's most versatile defender.

Cautious teams will certainly look into Cushing's previous struggles with durability, but his upside might be too much to allow him to get out of the top 20 come draft day.

High School

Among his 2004 honors were Parade All-American, USA Today All-USA first team, Super Prep Elite 50, Prep Star Top 100 Dream Team, Student Sports Top 100, Rivals 100, Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, Tom Lemming All-American, Scout.com All-American first team, EA Sports All-American second team, Super Prep All-Northeast Defensive Player of the Year, Prep Star All-East and All-State Defensive Player of the Year as a senior linebacker, running back and tight end at Bergen Catholic High in Oradell, N.J. ... Had 120 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and seven interceptions on offense in 2004, plus 475 rushing yards with 10 TDs and 13 receptions for 456 yards (35.1 avg.) with 7 TDs and a kickoff return for a score ... Did all that despite missing three games with an ankle sprain ... As a junior in 2003, he made Student Sports Junior All-American, All-State first team and All-Bergen County Defensive Player of the Year while posting 120 tackles, 22 tackles for loss, 9 sacks and 7 interceptions.

Analysis

Positives: Physical prototype with a combination of excellent size and overall athleticism for the position. Versatile. Signed with USC as a potential strong safety candidate, but has played defensive end, strong-side linebacker and even middle linebacker. Physical and intense. Big hitter who looks to intimidate opponents with his physicality in every phase of the game. Attacks blocks aggressively and flashes not only explosiveness but ferocity as a tackler. Good straight-line speed. Good flexibility to turn and run with tight ends and backs in coverage. Reads the quarterback well and can break on the ball. Productive pass rusher who is equally effective as an end and blitzing linebacker. Immediate standout performer who started for USC as a freshman.

Negatives: Has struggled with injuries throughout his career, missing five games due to a shoulder separation in 2005 and three games in 2007 due to a high ankle sprain, as well as undergoing surgery after the 2006 (shoulder) and 2007 (knee) spring practices. Relies on his athletic ability rather than his upper body strength to defeat blocks too often. Can overrun the play and allow for cutback opportunities. Mistakes often covered up by the surrounding talent at USC.

Sounds great but the injuries give me a little concern. He made it through 2008 unscathed so maybe they don't mean much. :thumbsup:

B.J. Raji, DT

* Height: 6'2"

* Weight: 337

* College: Boston College

* Conference: ACC

* Hometown: Washington Twp., NJ

* High School: Westwood Regional

Overview

Built like a Coke machine and almost as difficult to move, Raji's dominant strength inside makes him the elite run-stuffer of the 2009 draft. An immediate standout for the Eagles, Raji worked his way into the rotation as a true freshman and started 38 of his final 40 games. A second-team All-ACC selection in 2006, Raji was expected to be the dominant cog in the BC defensive line in '07, but didn't fulfill his academic obligations and missed the Eagles' magical season. The increased expectations that came with his return to the field in 2008 didn't slow Raji at all. In fact, despite constant double-team attention, Raji emerged as arguably the most dominant defensive lineman in the country, registering 42 tackles, 16 tackles for loss and eight sacks. An even more dominant performance throughout the week of practice at the Senior Bowl made Raji a top-10 player on some boards.

High School

Earned All-State, All-North Jersey and All-County honors as a senior at Westwood Regional High School ... Was a two-time All-Bergen County Scholastic League choice ... Was a three-year starter ... Played on both the offensive and defensive lines ... Recorded 75 tackles, 7.5 sacks and four forced fumbles in 2003 ... Played for head coach Joe Gambardella ... Was selected to play in the 2004 Governor's Bowl, which pits the top high-school seniors in New Jersey against their New York counterparts ... Played on Westwood's basketball team as a freshman and sophomore.

Analysis

Positives: Flashes rare burst off the snap for a man his size and can penetrate into the backfield and disrupt the play without necessarily making the tackle. ... Good strength and mass at the point of attack to create a pile. ... Good short-area lateral quickness. ... Experienced. Missed the 2007 season due to academics, but leaves BC with 38 career starts. ... Locates the ball quickly and works to make the play. ... At his best lining up at the nose, though he flashes the initial burst off the snap to be effective as the under-tackle in the 4-3 alignment. ... Strong enough to pull down ballcarriers with just his arms. ... Arguably the single-most dominant player during the week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

Negatives: Marginal height for the position. ... Only adequate to shed blocks due to his short arms and lack of sustained quickness. ... Rare quickness in confined space, but lacks the speed to sustain and struggles to make an impact outside of the guard box. ... Flashes the burst off the snap for the three-technique (under tackle in the 4-3 alignment), but is only a marginal pass rusher. ... Relies on his initial burst off the snap and an occasional spin move to pressure. ... Reliable tackler, but lacks the balance and lateral quickness to break down and make the tackle in space. ... Most effective when operating as part of a rotation. ... Maturity is a concern. ... Has struggled with his weight, playing in 2006 at more than 350 pounds. ... Was suspended for the first half of the Clemson game in 2006 for throwing a punch at a Central Michigan player. ... Missed the entire 2007 season due to academics.

Everything sounds great except for his academics in 2007. It's either because he was lazy or not smart enough. Either of those don't speak well of him.

Raji isn't a pass rusher? What games do they watch to say that?!?!?

I do think that the Bills have pass rush as a top priority in this draft. They have said that Orakpo is not a speed rusher. They have said Maybin's 234 pound weight is an issue (although he has potential for adding weight), and that Everette Brown is a 3-4 guy who may be used as a 4-3 edge rusher. None of these sound like what Modrak is looking for (although Everette Brown comes close. Perhaps Raji isn't the pass rusher; he's an exceptional rush defender to force passing situations.

I was keeping a close eye on Raji while watching the DL drills on NFLN today. He looks great in the drills, very powerfully built too. Explosive.

While TE and DE are our biggest needs I think it would be way too hard to pass on this guy if he's there at 11. Green Bay will probably take him but if he's there at 11, the Bills better pull the trigger.