Dog owners defend coyote after dog killed

millbank

Go out there and pose with the bears. Please.

What part of HE HAS BEARS IN HIS YARD don't you understand college boy??

Now go to bed, you're up past your bedtime.

And what part of HAVING SOMETHING IN YOUR YARD DOESN'T MAKE YOU A FLIPPIN EXPERT don't you guys understand? I take it you've read the posts...so in your opinion, does he lend any credibility to what he says, or does he just expect it to be taken as gospel because he lives in that part of the world?

Do you need to be from DC to understand politics? Do you need to be from Nebraska to understand steak? Do you need to be from Seattle to understand rain?

And by the way, I love those of you that throw around the whole "college boy" thing like it's an insult. I'm 19, would you rather have me flipping burgers 40 hours a week?

And by the way, I'm up because I'm writing a paper so just shove off.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I shouldn't trust the textbooks and natural science journals I read? They tend to be written by folks who back up their research with something better than "I've got bears in my yard." You've offered zero insight into zoology or animal science and you've made some pretty lofty claims without backing them up whatsoever.

You claimed that predation is a matter of bigger animals killing and eating anything smaller, and that bears > people. You also claimed that Brown Bear boars eat bear cubs, and I quote, "like candy", without backing it up. In retort of the former point, I provided data regarding human-bear interaction which clearly states bears rarely attack humans. In response, you had nothing to tell me besides that I have no idea what I'm talking about. So you tell me...who's coming off as more credible here?

Do you understand I live this, and not read about it? If you wish to come to come to Alaska,fine,I could use a new tourist story in the paper. You and the Dean can babble the bears to death.

Do you understand I live this, and not read about it? If you wish to come to come to Alaska,fine,I could use a new tourist story in the paper. You and the Dean can babble the bears to death.

They'll be there saying "Look at the cute moose" while getting trampled to death.

The worst predator of a brown bear cub is a mature boar. They eat them like candy. They are the only ones that can scare off the sow. Come on man I live in Alaska.Do I argue with you over subjects I know nothing about?

I agree. There is a big difference in grizzly country. You would be fool to be unarmed and weaponless, IMO.

Yet... There are some pretty bad mama jama's out there that can give the boar a run for it's money!

Mountain lions have ben spotted withing two miles of where I live. To both the east and the west and I don't live in the hills, but right in town.

I don't go walking down the paved hiking trail 200 ft from my door at night because there is a chance that the mountain lion could be on it. They have to come through this are to get to the other areas.

I have also seen coyotes in broad daylight sitting on what used to be the old railbed next to the trail, watching the people walk down the trail and just hoping someone lets their little dog run unleashed. I wouldn't be surprised that they come right through the complex at night looking for the 30-40 turkeys we have around here.

More bears are showing up in towns that NEVER had bears coming into them! You know why? Because of all the enviro standards with hauling away garbage... No more open dumps what not. Closed transfer stations, etc.. etc... Now don't get me wrong... I am all for a clean enviro, but there are side effects.

Where do you think they are going wander? You guessed it, right down Main Street. They are pretty smart animals once they figure things out. I have been in bear country where I have stood on another's shoulder to tie the knot of a "bear bag" 3 trees down because the smart ones will follow the line and slice at the knot! One time on Marcy (Mt. Marcy) I had the pleasure of scaring one off just after sunset... Sure as sh*t, it was going right for the knot... Standing upright...

I have some nice pictures of a bear wandering right into camp and stealing our PopTarts during breakfest... The bastard sliced into all the good stuff and left us with nothing but dry granola! Even had the attitude to enjoy it in the brush about 10 meters away! The bear was not detered by anything... Yet, it would have been nice hiking with a dog (they can also carry their share!). It wasn't in Grizzly country though.

Mountain lions have ben spotted withing two miles of where I live. To both the east and the west and I don't live in the hills, but right in town.

I don't go walking down the paved hiking trail 200 ft from my door at night because there is a chance that the mountain lion could be on it. They have to come through this are to get to the other areas.

I have also seen coyotes in broad daylight sitting on what used to be the old railbed next to the trail, watching the people walk down the trail and just hoping someone lets their little dog run unleashed. I wouldn't be surprised that they come right through the complex at night looking for the 30-40 turkeys we have around here.

Just wait till the lions start repopulating other areas... There is gonna be full blown panic... I see herds of white-tail when I head to work... In a semi-urban enviro, what kind of range can ONE lion have vs. the population of deer.

The day is coming my friend!

It's nice of you to come to the defense of a fellow ignoramus, but if you read the back-and-forth, having bears in his backyard has little to do with the conversation. In fact if anything, it supports Sage's position, as (unless he is holding something back) Jim has yet to tell us of all the neighborhood children the bears have eaten.

And, I love the "college boy" reference. Yes, an education is a horrible thing. What will this country come to, if we start learnin'?

I am in the middle of this argument Dean. Bears are wandering more and more into towns that never had problems. Now I agree that bears in general may never really pose a threat... There is something to say about cougars (and no, not that kind of cougar! :lol::lol: ).

Seems like I remember a fatal cougar attack in Cali. some years ago. But no worry,the sage has done all the proper research and you are safe,because you smell different.

Does anyone remember a bunch of years back where a certain type or owl made it's way south... To around the WNY region... Fringes of Lake Erie... Well, the experts were estimating as far south as Lake Erie... I forget the type of owl, but they were big suckers! It had to be back in the 1990's or so. Common sense says you don't let the little dogs wander too far off on nights (especially the winter when certain predators may be wandering with a greater range in search of food).

EDIT: Just looked it up

I think they were the great gray owl. Which usually don't make their way further south than Lake Superior... Anyway, even though domestic animals are not their usual prey, why take a chance with your small animals?

From Wiki about the great gray owl:

"If food is scarce, they may travel a fair distances to find more prey, with considerable movements by large numbers in some years of particularly scarce prey. Though they do not migrate, many are at least somewhat nomadic."

:thumbsup:

They were Snowy owls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Owl, I lived in Seneca Falls at the time and they stayed on the North end of Seneca lake for a few days.

I saw them they were huge.