Dog owners defend coyote after dog killed

millbank

During the Oscars, I was watching Animal Planet. It was about a pack of wolves in Yellowstone. They were displaced by a younger pack after their alpha male died. A coyote in the area was allowed by the previous pack to eat after the wolf pack was done. He assumed he could do the same with the new pack. They jumped him and killed him in about 10 seconds after he started nibbling at a carcass.

there's a moral in there somewhere...

'don't nibble the carcass you ass'

'a bird in the hand is better than getting jumped by a pack of alphaless wolves'

'watch the Oscars next year you weenie'

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little dog,two month old baby-its all food, But they were in your back yard long before you were, so let them survive.A fence to a coyote,or a wolf,or a bear is like you steping over a curb.

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?

/Helen Lovejoy

Seriously? A two month old baby? If you somehow allow your two month old baby to be eaten by a coyote (something it is NOT naturally inclined to do), it is probably more your fault than the coyote's. Should we just go around killing all the other things that could hurt your kid? Lots of infants have been murdered by their parents. I would suggest that all the parents out there kill their spouses. You know, for the safety of the kid.

I never heard that. Are you sure?

In countless jurisdictions in most any State, you will be charged with a crime if you discharge a firearm. Including an air rifle.

Here in OH, you can openly carry a firearm - long gun, hand gun. You can clean one on your porch. Except if you do, you get charged with inducing panic.

Not quite what I was looking for but it's the best I can find right now...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=662272&page=1

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that certain states allowed feral cat hunting. Of course it would only be allowed in areas that allowed you to fire a gun and hunt. You couldn't sit on your porch in a city and pick off cats. (unfortunately)

I'm not sure what you mean as far as being charged for discharging a firearm. Are you talking about anywhere, or just within a city? I have many friends that own houses on land that you can fire a gun on. As long as you are far enough away from other houses and roads, you are free to blast away!

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?

/Helen Lovejoy

Seriously? A two month old baby? If you somehow allow your two month old baby to be eaten by a coyote (something it is NOT naturally inclined to do), it is probably more your fault than the coyote's. Should we just go around killing all the other things that could hurt your kid? Lots of infants have been murdered by their parents. I would suggest that all the parents out there kill their spouses. You know, for the safety of the kid.

You should come to Alaska sometime,and wander around a salmon stream full of brown bear,unarmed. Then I will give you some merit to your "naturally inclined" remark. Do you honestly think a wild animal knows the difference between a human and a rabbit?

You should come to Alaska sometime,and wander around a salmon stream full of brown bear,unarmed. Then I will give you some merit to your "naturally inclined" remark. Do you honestly think a wild animal knows the difference between a human and a rabbit?

Yeah. They look, sound, and smell different. And coyotes are actually pretty smart.

I have hiked high in the Smokey Mountains and been 10 feet from bear (not Grizzly's, mind you) and camped in the High Sierra's, at the tree line, no humans for miles and miles, except we 4 guys...all "unarmed". kitty's arm themselves to feel safe. If you wander in to a stream full of bear, you're stupid...armed or unarmed. And, unless you actually used your gun, it was useless, except for the fake pair of balls you imagine you have, when you carry it.

Yeah. They look, sound, and smell different. And coyotes are actually pretty smart.
So you have interviewed several of them. Size is all that matters to a animal. Coyote> baby. Food. Bear>you. food .And as far as "letting" anything happen, I would say you have never seen how fast a predator can move. The coyote here grabbed A dog in a yard, with a human yards away .It is acclimated to people and the next target is is anyones guess. Garbage bears are shot here every year. When they find out were the easy food is they keep coming back,human smell be dammed.

So you have interviewed several of them. Size is all that matters to a animal. Coyote> baby. Food. Bear>you. food .And as far as "letting" anything happen, I would say you have never seen how fast a predator can move. The coyote here grabbed A dog in a yard, with a human yards away .It is acclimated to people and the next target is is anyones guess. Garbage bears are shot here every year. When they find out were the easy food is they keep coming back,human smell be dammed.

Well I'll admit I've done no interviews, but apparently you've done interviews to get this "size is all that matters" tidbit. Animals have instincts. They use their senses. That's why bears don't eat baby bears. Yes, humans have been killed by bears, but I doubt you would find many examples of bears just chowing down on humans unprovoked.

I have hiked high in the Smokey Mountains and been 10 feet from bear (not Grizzly's, mind you) and camped in the High Sierra's, at the tree line, no humans for miles and miles, except we 4 guys...all "unarmed". kitty's arm themselves to feel safe. If you wander in to a stream full of bear, you're stupid...armed or unarmed. And, unless you actually used your gun, it was useless, except for the fake pair of balls you imagine you have, when you carry it.
I like to keep my balls right were they are, thank you. Which is why I always have a gun in bear country. I get to read about you Disney types every summer. Pending notification of relatives,of course.

Well I'll admit I've done no interviews, but apparently you've done interviews to get this "size is all that matters" tidbit. Animals have instincts. They use their senses. That's why bears don't eat baby bears. Yes, humans have been killed by bears, but I doubt you would find many examples of bears just chowing down on humans unprovoked.
The worst predator of a brown bear cub is a mature boar. They eat them like candy. They are the only ones that can scare off the sow. Come on man I live in Alaska.Do I argue with you over subjects I know nothing about?

The worst predator of a brown bear cub is a mature boar. They eat them like candy. They are the only ones that can scare off the sow. Come on man I live in Alaska.Do I argue with you over subjects I know nothing about?

Well living in Alaska with the bears, you should know that 90% of their diet is vegetation (bears being closer to the herbivore side of the spectrum than carnivore). When they do prey, it is largely on spawning salmon along with the occasional young elk, deer, or caribou. Perhaps there have been examples of a brown bear eating its young (I can't find any), but this whole "they eat them like candy" nonsense is bull-honkey.

Would you care to approach a zoologist with your "Size is all that matters to a predator" hypothesis and your "Brown bears eat brown bear cubs like candy" theory?

By the way, there are an average of two fatal bear attacks each year in North America, and the majority have been due to the stupidity of the humans involved, so I wouldn't bother with the gun unless you feel like invading the bear's space.

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbea...n_conflicts.htm

But please, feel free to disrespect this knowledge because I'm not from Alaska and I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.

Well living in Alaska with the bears, you should know that 90% of their diet is vegetation (bears being closer to the herbivore side of the spectrum than carnivore). When they do prey, it is largely on spawning salmon along with the occasional young elk, deer, or caribou. Perhaps there have been examples of a brown bear eating its young (I can't find any), but this whole "they eat them like candy" nonsense is bull-honkey.

Would you care to approach a zoologist with your "Size is all that matters to a predator" hypothesis and your "Brown bears eat brown bear cubs like candy" theory?

By the way, there are an average of two fatal bear attacks each year in North America, and the majority have been due to the stupidity of the humans involved, so I wouldn't bother with the gun unless you feel like invading the bear's space.

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbea...n_conflicts.htm

But please, feel free to disrespect this knowledge because I'm not from Alaska and I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.

"Invading their space"? every year I have to shovel bear crap out of the yard,and put my garbage in a bear proof container. Again, stick with things you know about. Not a "Goggle search"

"Invading their space"? every year I have to shovel bear crap out of the yard,and put my garbage in a bear proof container. Again, stick with things you know about. Not a "Goggle search"

Yeah, I'll be sure to stay away from searching "Goggle". You're the one making ridiculous claims about animal behavior without any science to back it up. Do you disagree that bears are plant-eaters for the most part, and that they usually pose no risk to humans? By the way, do you think Alaska is the only place in the world where wildlife exists? Why is it you assume I've no idea what I'm talking about?

Yeah, I'll be sure to stay away from searching "Goggle". You're the one making ridiculous claims about animal behavior without any science to back it up. Do you disagree that bears are plant-eaters for the most part, and that they usually pose no risk to humans? By the way, do you think Alaska is the only place in the world where wildlife exists? Why is it you assume I've no idea what I'm talking about?
Because you don't.I think you must subscribe to the "I read it in a book,so it must be right" class. I told you I have bears in my yard and still you know more then me.

Because you don't.I think you must subscribe to the "I read it in a book,so it must be right" class. I told you I have bears in my yard and still you know more then me.

So I shouldn't trust the textbooks and natural science journals I read? They tend to be written by folks who back up their research with something better than "I've got bears in my yard." You've offered zero insight into zoology or animal science and you've made some pretty lofty claims without backing them up whatsoever.

You claimed that predation is a matter of bigger animals killing and eating anything smaller, and that bears > people. You also claimed that Brown Bear boars eat bear cubs, and I quote, "like candy", without backing it up. In retort of the former point, I provided data regarding human-bear interaction which clearly states bears rarely attack humans. In response, you had nothing to tell me besides that I have no idea what I'm talking about. So you tell me...who's coming off as more credible here?

Go out there and pose with the bears. Please.

What part of HE HAS BEARS IN HIS YARD don't you understand college boy??

Now go to bed, you're up past your bedtime.

It's nice of you to come to the defense of a fellow ignoramus, but if you read the back-and-forth, having bears in his backyard has little to do with the conversation. In fact if anything, it supports Sage's position, as (unless he is holding something back) Jim has yet to tell us of all the neighborhood children the bears have eaten.

And, I love the "college boy" reference. Yes, an education is a horrible thing. What will this country come to, if we start learnin'?