Dog owners defend coyote after dog killed

millbank

Coyote and Dog

Don't kill the coyote.

Some dog owners in the Beach neighbourhood sympathize with a family who lost their pet chihuahua to a coyote on Saturday but oppose any attempt to trap or kill the animal.

Sean Maxwell's six-year-old pet, Zoe, was attacked and killed by a coyote in the backyard of his Neville Park Blvd. home while he stood metres away.

"I feel really terrible for that family but to harm that coyote would be wrong," said Jeff Good, who was among a group of about 100 people who marched with their dogs from Leuty Lifeguard Station to the Balmy Beach Canoe Club yesterday to protest a city ban on walking dogs along the eastern beaches in winter.

Nicolette Caccia, who was out with her two border collies, said, "With all the ravines in Toronto, you've got to accept the fact there's lots of wildlife around. We have foxes in our backyard and deer in a nearby ravine."

"It's a regrettable thing, but it doesn't mean we should be killing the coyote," she said.

Here are two differing opinions.....

I commented on the article that appeared in the Sunday Star as well, and for the life f me, I don not understand these bleeding hearts. First off, you have an animal that is truly a menace, however, there are those that just feel we should all be "sweethearts" and let this predator be. If you want to have your animals disappearing and do not want to do anything about it, quit complaining and live with the situation. Also, to mention in this articl "possible go after children.." is absolutley nuts. There has not been ONE documented case where a coyote has attacked a person, unless it was a rabid animal so quit trying to embelish the story! These "sweethearts" are the same people that where $1600.00 Indonesian shoes and drive there SUV to the big box store to buy toxic farmed salmon with little FeFe and her pink booties. Simply solution, shoot the animal...acouple of sweetheats may be offended, but at least you can let your dogs out.

(sounds like Don Cherry)

can't believe the amount of people on here who are suggesting that we either A) Kill that particular coyote or B) Work on some sort of plan to "remove" coyotes from the area. Give me a break. If we go with plan A, what does that provide us with? Revenge? Is that what it is? That coyote killed me dog, so I want to kill him? Grow up. And if we go with Plan B - what then? Increase our taxes to cover the cost of gas to drive a coyote six hours north every couple of days? Then maybe progress to skunks next year, then racoons, then squirrels, then pigeons, etc.? Maybe humans should move in to zoos so they can be sheltered from everything, and animals can roam free and live life their fullest. God knows we're not doing it.

So what do you think, should they leave the Coyote alone, shoot it, trap it and move it. If you lived in area what would you want done?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coyote and Dog

Don't kill the coyote.

Some dog owners in the Beach neighbourhood sympathize with a family who lost their pet chihuahua to a coyote on Saturday but oppose any attempt to trap or kill the animal.

Sean Maxwell's six-year-old pet, Zoe, was attacked and killed by a coyote in the backyard of his Neville Park Blvd. home while he stood metres away.

"I feel really terrible for that family but to harm that coyote would be wrong," said Jeff Good, who was among a group of about 100 people who marched with their dogs from Leuty Lifeguard Station to the Balmy Beach Canoe Club yesterday to protest a city ban on walking dogs along the eastern beaches in winter.

Nicolette Caccia, who was out with her two border collies, said, "With all the ravines in Toronto, you've got to accept the fact there's lots of wildlife around. We have foxes in our backyard and deer in a nearby ravine."

"It's a regrettable thing, but it doesn't mean we should be killing the coyote," she said.

Here are two differing opinions.....

I commented on the article that appeared in the Sunday Star as well, and for the life f me, I don not understand these bleeding hearts. First off, you have an animal that is truly a menace, however, there are those that just feel we should all be "sweethearts" and let this predator be. If you want to have your animals disappearing and do not want to do anything about it, quit complaining and live with the situation. Also, to mention in this articl "possible go after children.." is absolutley nuts. There has not been ONE documented case where a coyote has attacked a person, unless it was a rabid animal so quit trying to embelish the story! These "sweethearts" are the same people that where $1600.00 Indonesian shoes and drive there SUV to the big box store to buy toxic farmed salmon with little FeFe and her pink booties. Simply solution, shoot the animal...acouple of sweetheats may be offended, but at least you can let your dogs out.

(sounds like Don Cherry)

can't believe the amount of people on here who are suggesting that we either A) Kill that particular coyote or B) Work on some sort of plan to "remove" coyotes from the area. Give me a break. If we go with plan A, what does that provide us with? Revenge? Is that what it is? That coyote killed me dog, so I want to kill him? Grow up. And if we go with Plan B - what then? Increase our taxes to cover the cost of gas to drive a coyote six hours north every couple of days? Then maybe progress to skunks next year, then racoons, then squirrels, then pigeons, etc.? Maybe humans should move in to zoos so they can be sheltered from everything, and animals can roam free and live life their fullest. God knows we're not doing it.

So what do you think, should they leave the Coyote alone, shoot it, trap it and move it. If you lived in area what would you want done?

Leave the coyote alone. It's a predator in a wooded area, and it did what a predator does. Do we kill our house cats when they catch mice?

Shoot 'em. Once they realize they can lunch on the chihuahua, they will be back for more.

I live across the street from a 100 foot hill that is a "undeveloped park" (fields). Coyotes are known to be there and I don't feel sorry when people put up their lost kitty signs. The landlord repeats in the monthly newsletter that cats should be house cats and not let run wild.

The same with mountain lions here. If they are seen in town, they shoot them. If they are up in the parks, leave them be. They have been sen within 2 miles of my place.

I would make sure I didn't have a dog that could be swallowed whole by a coyote! I have no problem with a landowner killing a coyote if it is preying on his animals. I normally would never shoot an animal that I wasn't going to eat, but many landowners are having a problem with coyotes killing off game and domestic animals. Coyotes are very good at adapting and are flourishing in populated areas. I think this problem will get much worse in the next several years. I can hear them calling at night from my back yard. My dogs go nuts!

Leave the coyote alone. It's a predator in a wooded area, and it did what a predator does. Do we kill our house cats when they catch mice?

In many states you can hunt feral cats. They are a big problem in some areas. Cat's kill anything they find and can really screw up pheasant, turkey, and other game bird populations.

In many states you can hunt feral cats. They are a big problem in some areas. Cat's kill anything they find and can really screw up pheasant, turkey, and other game bird populations.

I'm actually fine with it, because I've long suspected that the pheasants have been plotting something.

Always plotting...

I'm actually fine with it, because I've long suspected that the pheasants have been plotting something.

Always plotting...

You really can't trust pheasants. They are the pandas of the bird world.

I never heard that. Are you sure?

In countless jurisdictions in most any State, you will be charged with a crime if you discharge a firearm. Including an air rifle.

Here in OH, you can openly carry a firearm - long gun, hand gun. You can clean one on your porch. Except if you do, you get charged with inducing panic.

You really can't trust pheasants. They are the pandas of the bird world.

Exactly. On a positive note, the pandas are almost all gone. Of course, there are the insane people on the environmental fringe who are trying to make new pandas (when everybody knows the babies are the most dangerous!), but the population is still on a decline, thank god.

Here in OH, you can openly carry a firearm - long gun, hand gun. You can clean one on your porch. Except if you do, you get charged with inducing panic.

Cincy -are you sure that the cops are just not applying this statute to you personally for other reasons? You've incited panic on this board from time to time. :thumbsup:

if the owner was only meters away from their litte "dog" being mauled why didnt they try to protect it? coyotes are not very big and would most likely have run away if approached

The coyote, which he and other neighbours have spotted in recent months, jumped the back fence, grabbed Zoe and gave her a violent "neck snap," before a stunned Maxwell could react. He followed it up the steep slope of the ice-and now-covered ravine, but by the time he reached the top, the coyote was gone. Maxwell searched the area but found no trace of Zoe.

I corrected it for our non-Canadian reading members (Crayonz will be happy). :devil:

Let the coyote be. We have tons of coyotes in our canyons. Nobody is calling for their heads. Just put up a fence and dont worry about it.

If the coyote nabs a few cats and dogs, well, coyotes got to eat too! Get a new cat or dog.

Little dog,two month old baby-its all food, But they were in your back yard long before you were, so let them survive.A fence to a coyote,or a wolf,or a bear is like you steping over a curb.

Little dog,two month old baby-its all food, But they were in your back yard long before you were, so let them survive.

Who doesn't physically watch a two-year old when they are out playing?

Has there ever been a documented human atack by a coyote (that is not rabid)? I dug this up... The answer is yes, but they are extremely rare:

First of all- Do coyotes ever attack people? The answer, unfortunately, is yes. So do dogs, deer, and bunny rabbits (I watched as my friend was attacked by their pet rabbit!). All animals are potential aggressors, especially wild ones- that's why they're called wild. Coyotes are wild predators. There is one human fatality from coyotes- it was a three year old girl in the Los Angeles area of California back in 1983, I believe. I've never been able to find much about this attack but I remember reading that she was out playing in her front yard when attacked. Another thing I read somewhere was that someone may have been feeding the coyotes in the area, a bad idea with any predator in a populated area. This is very well known as a bad idea with bears- many "problem bears" are bears that were fed by humans and learned to associate them with food- a dangerous thing. This kind of situation is bad for people if the animal becomes more aggressive or bold and bad for the animal if it wanders up to the wrong person while looking for a handout. (Moral of the story- Don't feed the bears! (Or any other predators!))

Or for that matter a wolf (which in North America are VERY low)?

Wolf Attacks Are Still Low

I have been able to find 27 recorded wolf attacks on humans in North America. Some have resulted in serious injury, but all of the people attacked by wolves here have survived.

Now, before everyone runs off in a panic nattering that we have to stop wolf reintroductions, let's put Carnegie's untimely death in perspective. Canadian wildlife officials have launched a thorough investigation and have already issued some preliminary findings.

The officials noted that the local people had fed the wolves -- both intentionally and unintentionally -- in the area where Carnegie was attacked. The wolves had grown used to being around people and seeing them as a source of food. The term wildlife managers use for this is habituation. Contrary to popular belief, habituated wildlife is always more dangerous to humans than wildlife that is naturally wary of humans.

Humans have a very weird news gene that causes us to panic over unlikely events, such as great white shark attacks, a far bigger risk than wolf attacks even if you're not a surfer, and ignore or trivialize more immediate dangers such as domestic dogs.

Does anyone remember a bunch of years back where a certain type or owl made it's way south... To around the WNY region... Fringes of Lake Erie... Well, the experts were estimating as far south as Lake Erie... I forget the type of owl, but they were big suckers! It had to be back in the 1990's or so. Common sense says you don't let the little dogs wander too far off on nights (especially the winter when certain predators may be wandering with a greater range in search of food).

EDIT: Just looked it up

I think they were the great gray owl. Which usually don't make their way further south than Lake Superior... Anyway, even though domestic animals are not their usual prey, why take a chance with your small animals?

From Wiki about the great gray owl:

"If food is scarce, they may travel a fair distances to find more prey, with considerable movements by large numbers in some years of particularly scarce prey. Though they do not migrate, many are at least somewhat nomadic."

:devil:

During the Oscars, I was watching Animal Planet. It was about a pack of wolves in Yellowstone. They were displaced by a younger pack after their alpha male died. A coyote in the area was allowed by the previous pack to eat after the wolf pack was done. He assumed he could do the same with the new pack. They jumped him and killed him in about 10 seconds after he started nibbling at a carcass.