Orakpo, Brian 4.70

Brown, Everette 4.73

Johnson, Michael 4.75

Sulak, Stryker 4.77

Brown, Cody 4.84

Butler, Victor 4.84

Veikune, David 4.87

Gilbert, Jarron 4.87

Maybin reportedly ran a 4.78 unofficial. He gained 15 pounds since the last bowl game. His official time must have not made the top 10.

The official number on Maybin appears to be a 4.89. I've also seen that unofficial 4.78 on another site. It'll be interesting to see where his agility drill numbers fall so that we have a little more indication of how much this weight gain is affecting him.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009combine/2...ne-results.html

Everything else matches, so I'm going to assume that 40 for Maybin is correct.

Sidbury, Jr., Lawrence 4.64

Barwin, Connor 4.66

Orakpo, Brian 4.70

Brown, Everette 4.73

Johnson, Michael 4.75

Sulak, Stryker 4.77

Brown, Cody 4.84

Butler, Victor 4.84

Veikune, David 4.87

Gilbert, Jarron 4.87

Maybin reportedly ran a 4.78 unofficial. He gained 15 pounds since the last bowl game. His official time must have not made the top 10.

I don't mean to sound as though the numbers don't mean anything, but 40-times in particular are very misleading for defensive linemen. Case in point, Vernon Gholston ran a 4.66, while Terrell Suggs ran a 4.88. I realize that's just 1 example, but year after year d-linemen's 40 times belie their potential productivity in the NFL. In fact, when you watch the DL work out at the combine, many coaches send their "watch guys" to stand no more than 12 to 15 yards from the starting line. This is to ensure that they're getting an accurate read of the burst and acceleration that the player will actually use during the majority of their playing time in the NFL.

Again, I'm not down-playing the importance of the 40 overall, I just really feel it's a terrible measuring stick for D-Linemen. A 10 or 20-yard dash would be much more appropriate.

wow. that 40 time for Brown is drastically higher than the unofficial time of 4.63

That "unofficial" time on Brown was reported by Chris Brown, correct? He's been pimping Brown for weeks now. The trouble is, I have a feeling (based on Modrak's voiced concerns about his being shorter than 6'2") that the Bills probably are not interested in him at #11.

I don't mean to sound as though the numbers don't mean anything, but 40-times in particular are very misleading for defensive linemen. Case in point, Vernon Gholston ran a 4.66, while Terrell Suggs ran a 4.88. I realize that's just 1 example, but year after year d-linemen's 40 times belie their potential productivity in the NFL. In fact, when you watch the DL work out at the combine, many coaches send their "watch guys" to stand no more than 12 to 15 yards from the starting line. This is to ensure that they're getting an accurate read of the burst and acceleration that the player will actually use during the majority of their playing time in the NFL.

Again, I'm not down-playing the importance of the 40 overall, I just really feel it's a terrible measuring stick for D-Linemen. A 10 or 20-yard dash would be much more appropriate.

I hear ya. I get so tired of the almighty 40 times. The cone drills and short shuttle give you a better read on these guys, but the best way is still to see the guys in action. Game film is a great way to evaluate talent, which is why I try to watch as much college football as I can during the season so that I have some frame of reference 'round this time of year.

I hear ya. I get so tired of the almighty 40 times. The cone drills and short shuttle give you a better read on these guys, but the best way is still to see the guys in action. Game film is a great way to evaluate talent, which is why I try to watch as much college football as I can during the season so that I have some frame of reference 'round this time of year.

Game tape is totally the way to go. Pads on, full-on competition, no stop-watches. The draft makes the college football package totally worth the price you pay to see it every weekend. I can tell you that I probably recorded over 100 college games this year just to scout players. Sad, I know, but very interesting if you're into it.

Game tape is totally the way to go. Pads on, full-on competition, no stop-watches. The draft makes the college football package totally worth the price you pay to see it every weekend. I can tell you that I probably recorded over 100 college games this year just to scout players. Sad, I know, but very interesting if you're into it.

Just 100?

I would consider the broad jump and vertical jump just as important if not more than the 40. The broad and vertical jump show explosion, and if you are a pass rusher, explosion is more important than straight line speed.

This was the same reason I said Dwayne Wright was going to be a waste because his broad jump was under 9 feet when most running backs were at 10. He never really recovered from that knee injury.

This was the same reason I said Dwayne Wright was going to be a waste because his broad jump was under 9 feet when most running backs were at 10. He never really recovered from that knee injury.

His knees were clearly the reason he fumbled the ball in like, 5 straight games.