Remember Tomorrow is Pancake or Paczki day

millbank

Nothing like a nice big plate of pancakes with jam and maple syrup. In our household the ladies make Paczki , ( large doughnuts stuffed with filling).

Take home some flowers and you just never know, a nice big plate may await you tomorrow. (unless you are dieting of course :thumbsup: )

whats your favorite recipe...?

Nothing like a nice big plate of pancakes with jam and maple syrup. In our household the ladies make Paczkies , ( large doughnuts stuffed with filling).

Take home some flowers and you just never know, a nice big plate may await you tomorrow. (unless you are dieting of course :thumbsup: )

thanks Millbank ...sadly if my wife were to wake and make pancakes it would be a sure sign of the end of times. She might leave the car keys and an IHOP coupon on the counter. If I may say so I do, however, like my own whole wheat griddle cakes with real maple syrup.

Nothing like a nice big plate of pancakes with jam and maple syrup. In our household the ladies make Paczkies , ( large doughnuts stuffed with filling).

Paczki Day is new to me.

I prepare breakfast, and a lunch to take for my wife every day. I don't have the ingredients in stock for those doughnut concoctions.

I do have frozen berries to defrost and put upon frozen and defrosted wheat waffles, and Canadian bacon in storage in the icebox.

I'll cook that up and tell her that millbank mentioned this day, and what a fine plate of food!

:thumbsup:

Actually Paczki day was last thursday however in the US most people celebrate it on fat tuesday. I purchased some paczki from a local store and they werent as good as Busia used to make.

yeah...good ol' babcha....sniff...I miss her...she had a pet name for me...she'd call me her "gówniarz"...

Actually Paczki day was last thursday however in the US most people celebrate it on fat tuesday. I purchased some paczki from a local store and they werent as good as Busia used to make.

I never knew that. After reading your post, I was inspired to do some research. Sure enough, the very Polish tradition is called Tlusty Czwartek - literally 'Fat Thursday'. The whole idea was to empty the pantry of all the sugar, lard, sweets, etc. in preparation for Lent, hence the baking of those oversized pastries called 'Paczki'. Since celebrating Fat Thursday on a Tuesday makes no sense and would likely give birth to a slew of new Polish jokes, its celebration in American Polonia on the Tuesday before Lent is simply called 'Paczki Day'.

The Anatomy of a Paczki

I never knew that. After reading your post, I was inspired to do some research. Sure enough, the very Polish tradition is called Tlusty Czwartek - literally 'Fat Thursday'. The whole idea was to empty the pantry of all the sugar, lard, sweets, etc. in preparation for Lent, hence the baking of those oversized pastries called 'Paczki'. Since celebrating Fat Thursday on a Tuesday makes no sense and would likely give birth to a slew of new Polish jokes, its celebration in American Polonia on the Tuesday before Lent is simply called 'Paczki Day'.

The Anatomy of a Paczki

Actually in Chicago the Polish folks celebrate both fat thursday and fat tuesday. I too didn't know this till I had looked up Paczki after consuming some last week. They were a bit yokey but the lemon filled sure reminded me of home. My Busia always made them before Lent and I cant rember if we had them on fat tuesday or week before. The Raleigh Lowes Foods carries them from a place in PA.

Actually in Chicago the Polish folks celebrate both fat thursday and fat tuesday. I too didn't know this till I had looked up Paczki after consuming some last week. They were a bit yokey but the lemon filled sure reminded me of home. My Busia always made them before Lent and I cant rember if we had them on fat tuesday or week before. The Raleigh Lowes Foods carries them from a place in PA.

Leave it to those good Poles in Chi-Town to celebrate twice! :thumbsup:

I understand that Pulaski Day (March 4) is actually a gov't holiday there, much like Patriots Day in Boston.

Here in the BuffTown, most places just sell regular doughnuts and call them 'paczki' - the closest you can get to the real thing is at...

Pumpernick's

Na Zdrowie! :thumbsup:

Leave it to those good Poles in Chi-Town to celebrate twice! :thumbsup:

I understand that Pulaski Day (March 4) is actually a gov't holiday there, much like Patriots Day in Boston.

Here in the BuffTown, most places just sell regular doughnuts and call them 'paczki' - the closest you can get to the real thing is at...

Pumpernick's

Na Zdrowie! :thumbsup:

Damn it now ya made me hungry and too far from Buffalo to get some good poonch keys. Oh well will go to local doughnut store in the morning and pretend