After watching a lot of the combine

BeastMode54

I would add Clay Matthews to your list and Eric Wood. After watching both, I came away impressed - I like the fact that Matthews also has an NFL family tree -- he'll probably be highly motivated to succeed. Wood looks like the center we should target.

In what order do you like them?

In what order is tough, but I'd say I'm leaning towards Brown, Maybin, then Cushing. Brown has a ridiculous first move and looked really fast. His height is an issue though. Cushing has been a beast and manages 30 reps at 225 pounds, which is similar to a lineman. Maybin has put on 20 pounds since the beginning of the Penn State season and still ran a 40 in the low 4.6's. They both have question marks but have a huge upside. I wish there was more of a "sure thing" at our pick, but I know there is never really anyone like that. I might have added Maluaga, but some view him as onl;y a 2 down player, and he just had to pul out of the Combine when he heard a pop running his 40. (Orakpo got hurt as well)

In what order is tough, but I'd say I'm leaning towards Brown, Maybin, then Cushing. Brown has a ridiculous first move and looked really fast. His height is an issue though. Cushing has been a beast and manages 30 reps at 225 pounds, which is similar to a lineman. Maybin has put on 20 pounds since the beginning of the Penn State season and still ran a 40 in the low 4.6's. They both have question marks but have a huge upside. I wish there was more of a "sure thing" at our pick, but I know there is never really anyone like that. I might have added Maluaga, but some view him as onl;y a 2 down player, and he just had to pul out of the Combine when he heard a pop running his 40. (Orakpo got hurt as well)

I'm not watching it, but the numbers I'm seeing online have Maybin at 4.89 in the 40.

I'm not watching it, but the numbers I'm seeing online have Maybin at 4.89 in the 40.

you're right. he ran a 4.78. sorry. rotoworld writes this on Maybin:

Penn State DE Aaron Maybin registered two unofficial forty times of 4.78 at the Scouting Combine.

Maybin, who played in the low 230 range last season, has bulked up to 6'4/250 since the Rose Bowl and these respectable times show he can handle the weight. Maybin is a strong candidate to be drafted in the top 12 and could rush the passer from a 3-4 OLB spot or as a DE on a 4-3 team.

Maybin is too small for DE and will lose fluidness if he puts on more weight IMO. Maybin is going to be an 3-4 OLB in the NFL

Orakpo over Maybin at DE

Orakpo is faster, stronger, heavier, jumps higher etc...

I fail to see how Maybin impresses over Orakpo. Maybin is only a top 10 performer in the Vertical Jump and Orakpo beat him in that too. Where as Orakpo, who had started more games in college, has improved every single year in college and is performing better at the combine then Maybin appears to be a much better DE prospect...

Maybin is too small for DE and will lose fluidness if he puts on more weight IMO. Maybin is going to be an 3-4 OLB in the NFL

Orakpo over Maybin at DE

I fail to see how Maybin impresses over Orakpo. Maybin is only a top 10 performer in the Vertical Jump and Orakpo beat him in that too. Where as Orakpo, who had started more games in college, has improved every single year in college and is performing better at the combine then Maybin appears to be a much better DE prospect...

I'd be happy with Orakpo too, he just doesn't seem like much of an athlete, although he is beast. I don't know if he would be the pass rusher we would be looking for, but he would be solid, no doubt

Remains to be seen, as it appears he's putting on weight now. Going by his measurables, you'd say 3-4 OLB, but Maybin has very little experience in the responsibilities of the OLB position.

Orakpo over Maybin at DE

Both are being scouted as OLB prospects.

What Maybin has going for him is an incredible first step. That is a special trait for a pass rusher. The size thing may hinder him or it may not, as DEs are now getting lighter in order to be quicker off the edge.

I would add Clay Matthews to your list and Eric Wood. After watching both, I came away impressed - I like the fact that Matthews also has an NFL family tree -- he'll probably be highly motivated to succeed. Wood looks like the center we should target.

Is it like Clay Matthews VIIII ?????

:thumbsup:

I thought Orakpo was a step ahead of all the other DE's at the combine. I mean, Maybin, Brown looked great, but Orakpo just looked like he had a step on all of them. Another guy that keeps getting my attention is Michael Johnson.

If Michael Johnson keeps getting this kind of attention, he'd be a good pick, but may not last until our RD#2. We [DraftTek] currently have him going 8 picks ahead of us to Kansas City (good pick for them, though). The knock on him is being erased at this combine, and he could move a couple more picks up, but not into Round 1 IMHO.

I'm not high on Johnson, and game tape means more to me than workout numbers, but Johnson looks great in the drills. He is a freak with a muscular build. Such a natural athlete, but still, where's the production? His motor runs so hot and cold. He's turning it on now because some have him slipping to the 2nd Round. Crazy dollars at stake.

Cushing, Brown, or Maybin in the first

(maybe Nelson, Casey or Cook in the second)

I agree, but check out the numbers on Connor Barwin he was the man at this combine 4.66 40 even more more impressive shuttle 4.18 no one else even close to that! and cone time best as well. The best athlete DE at the combine. plus a 10 8" broad jump and the best vertical. He has good power numbers. Only played Defense one year and had 11 sacks and 16 TFL.

Just a thought, but Aaron Maybin is 20 years old and NOT at all unlike Omobi Akoye who Houston took with a realitively high pick. His growth is far from finished, and potentially he prbably could hold another 10-15 pounds of muscle mass without hurting his main attribute....speed! He has tested well, and tape doesn't lie, his production at Penn State was nothing short of great. I, just like many here am leery of Michael Johnson and in his case, unlike Maybin, I agree with Mike Mayock here.... Buyer beware!!!!

Cushing, Brown, or Maybin in the first

(maybe Nelson, Casey or Cook in the second)

combine means very little--except maybe shows the work ethic of the guys who bother to show. 225 reps doesnt make a football player. Vertical leap doesnt make a football player. 40 time only counts for corners. This aint the decathlon.