Silver lining from the recession cloud

KD in CA

Mindless gov't greed might actually produce something worthwhile. At least for those of us in the remaining 'Blue Laws' states. How the f*&$? is CT one of only 3 states left with this nonsense?

Sunday, Sunday!!

Yup, we have the same ludicrous situation here in GA too. I have learned to be proactive and stay stocked up, but the principle of the thing does make me mad.

Mindless gov't greed might actually produce something worthwhile. At least for those of us in the remaining 'Blue Laws' states. How the f*&$? is CT one of only 3 states left with this nonsense?

Sunday, Sunday!!

For the same reason why this is also called the 'Land of Steady Habits.'

Connecticut Nicknames

The Blue Law State: This nickname was a result of the notoriety propagated by the first government of New Haven Plantation's "Blue Laws." Blue Laws are laws that regulate public morality. Some contend that these Blue Laws were so-named because they were written on blue paper or bound in blue books. Others contend that there is no real evidence that any of these so-called Blue Laws were ever codified. Being that as it may, the stories surrounding the Blue Laws of Connecticut earned the state this nickname.

The Land of Steady Habits: This nickname came about because of the strict morals of the people of the state. A Dictionary of Americanisms on Historical Principles, edited by Mitford M. Mathews (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1951) defines "Land of Steady Habits" as "1. Connecticut, applied in allusion to the strict morals of its inhabitants," (page 954).

Sunday, Sunday!!

I liked them. Gave a laboring man a day off.

One day of the week not chasing the Almighty Dollar...a day of rest...spend time with your family. What is wrong with a day's respite from buying and selling?

I was last in Germany, when it was East and West. In Lower Saxony, merchants shut down at 6 PM...you could fire a machine gun down Mainstrasse and no one was around to notice.

On Sunday, the pastry shops opened up around 10 AM. That was it, until the bars opened up around 4 PM.

My...such hatred for others...they emigrated from Europe because of just such intolerance as you now display.

LOL I don't hate Puritans- I hate the archaic blue laws that that my state still subscribes too. I don't care much for zealots

One day of the week not chasing the Almighty Dollar...a day of rest...spend time with your family. What is wrong with a day's respite from buying and selling?

There's nothing wrong with a day's respite. There is something wrong with FORCING people to take that day. Freedom means I can open my liquor store any friggin' day I please.

As James suggests, these are laws of intolerance, enacted by people who wanted to force religious observances onto others.

If you don't want to buy or sell on Sunday (or Wednesday or the second Tuesday of next week), than don't. Just don't tell me I have to follow your personal code.

Besides, I'm Irish. Spending time with my family means everyone has a beer in hand.

There's nothing wrong with a day's respite. There is something wrong with FORCING people to take that day. Freedom means I can open my liquor store any friggin' day I please.

As James suggests, these are laws of intolerance, enacted by people who wanted to force religious observances onto others.

If you don't want to buy or sell on Sunday (or Wednesday or the second Tuesday of next week), than don't. Just don't tell me I have to follow your personal code.

Besides, I'm Irish. Spending time with my family means everyone has a beer in hand.

<see my avatar> :thumbsup:

Here in the Tampa Bay area they had a law that said you couldn't buy alcohol till 1 PM on Sunday.

The beer drinkers of the area united and fought the law and prevailed with an 11 AM law.

Signed;

Another Irishmen :thumbsup:

Yup, we have the same ludicrous situation here in GA too. I have learned to be proactive and stay stocked up, but the principle of the thing does make me mad.

thankfully that law in NY has been "fixed". Then again this is also one of the few places in the country that allows and promotes alcohol being served till 4am ;-) so most here have a vested interest! :thumbsup::thumbsup::lol:

we like to drink (well most anyways..)

I liked them. Gave a laboring man a day off.

I was last in Germany, when it was East and West. In Lower Saxony, merchants shut down at 6 PM...you could fire a machine gun down Mainstrasse and no one was around to notice.

On Sunday, the pastry shops opened up around 10 AM. That was it, until the bars opened up around 4 PM.

Why can't businesses choose whether to be closed on Sundays, rather than be forced to by archaic laws? I don't know many that choose to do so, but I know Chick-Fil-A restaurants are closed on Sundays, and they push that as a benefit to their employees.

But proponents of Sunday sales argue that state budgets are under plenty of pressure too and that by allowing people to buy beer, wine or liquor on Sunday at grocery or package stores, states could reap millions of dollars in tax revenue.

What I don't understand is how this is going to add extra money... Just buy your booze on Sat. or Mon.

UNLESS, people will buy on Sat., Sun., AND Mon. WTF? :devil::D

Isn't it a "shell game?" Isn't there only one marble?

What I am saying is that if I have "X" amount of money to buy booze... I only have "X" amount of money. How is this going to get me to spend more money?

But proponents of Sunday sales argue that state budgets are under plenty of pressure too and that by allowing people to buy beer, wine or liquor on Sunday at grocery or package stores, states could reap millions of dollars in tax revenue.

What I don't understand is how this is going to add extra money... Just buy your booze on Sat. or Mon.

UNLESS, people will buy on Sat., Sun., AND Mon. WTF? :devil::D

Isn't it a "shell game?" Isn't there only one marble?

What I am saying is that if I have "X" amount of money to buy booze... I only have "X" amount of money. How is this going to get me to spend more money?

It likely won't. And stand-alone liquor stores who would otherwise be closed on Sunday will now have to pay employees to work that day. So stores will be paying more for labor, for essentially the same revenue.

NJ's Paramus, Bergen County's blue laws, and their rationalization:

..."New Jersey (Bergen County)

One of the last remaining blue laws in the United States that covers virtually all selling is found in Bergen County, New Jersey.[22]

The borough of Paramus, New Jersey, one of the largest shopping meccas in the United States, has four major shopping malls that account for a significant proportion of the over $5 billion in annual retail sales generated in the borough, more than any other ZIP Code in the United States.[23] The borough retains blue laws that are even more restrictive than those imposed in the rest of the county, forbidding all forms of "worldly employment" on Sunday. The borough's ordinance cites the belief that "the physical, intellectual and moral good of the community requires a periodic day of rest from labor" among its reasons for the imposition of the restrictions.[24]

However, repeated attempts to lift the law have failed as voters either see keeping the law on the books as a protest against the growing trend toward increasing hours and days of commercial activity in American society or enjoy the sharply reduced traffic on major roads and highways on Sunday that is normally seen the other days of the week. In fact, a large part of the reason for maintaining the laws has been a desire for relative peace and quiet one day of the week by many Bergen County residents.[25]"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

In most all of my working life after I ceased to be a student, it was 9 to 5, five days a week - with a paid 1 hr. lunch.

I submit that that was better than this 24/7 nonsense.

A term lost from the popular lexicon: "Banker's hours". :devil:

A term lost from the popular lexicon: "Banker's hours". :devil:

I think we need to start calling them "politician's hours".

You can't make a good living anymore working Banker's hours; unless you get elected to some job that allows you to fiscally rape the citizenry.

Sunday, Sunday!!

Feeding revenue into the government maw is now job #1. I shake my head when people speak in terms of a government "allowing" tax relief.