Be a man, admit you were wrong!

whiteboy

Brittle players tend to stay brittle.  Willis is built like a truck, but he he is NOT a first time ACL recovery story.  He blew one out in his senior year in HS, redshirted, played sparingly as a back-up FB as a RS freshman, and in his first season as a starter got his knee wrecked.  Before he justifies anything he needs to produce at a very high level and prove he can be durable.  Good RB's are still a dime-a-dozen,  and a fragile featured-RB is less than worthless, he is a detriment to the development of a team.

95832[/snapback]

I don't think people realize that this is not McGahee's first knee injury. Frank Gore has shown us you can come back from multiple ACL injuries. However, Gore was averaging 10 yards a carry his Freshman year. He still puts up good numbers but not as high as that. I'm not sure what McGahee's NFL value would be if he should suffer another ACL.

People talk about the McGahee pick as a "risky" pick. That's fine, but then tell me how you'd define a non-risky pick. Would it be taking a QB like Ryan Leaf? An offensive lineman like Mike Williams? A defensive lineman like Erik Flowers?

Well, what about injuries? Rob Johnson wasn't known as an injury-prone QB in college. There is really nothing you can do to avoid risk. No GM has a perfect record of having all his first round picks work out. The best you can do is to minimize risk by doing your homework. I personally believe that a player's mind and heart play at least as big a role in his success as does athletic talent. Willis McGahee has shown a lot of heart and desire out on the football field. Also, his play seems more intelligent than that of Travis.