REAL Draft Expert

BillsNYC

Anybody else read this part of the article in TBN this morning and let out a chuckle? I know nothing about college football and don't have any opinion on individual players, but let's be honest, who wouldn't take Polian's word over Mike Mayock?

"NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock thinks Maybin is better suited to outside linebacker than 4-3 defensive end.

However, Colts President Bill Polian, whose team runs the same defensive scheme as Buffalo, was unequivocal on his view of Maybin. Asked Sunday if the Nittany Lion could play end in a Colts-style defense, Polian said: "Yes he could."

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/587337.html

Mayock = "Expert"

Polian = EXPERT

Ok? Neither guy really said anything, they could have the same opinion on Myabin. Mayock said Maybin would be better in a 3-4, which is understandable. Polian said that Maybin COULd play DE. Neither said he couldnt do one or the other. Polian didnt say he is better in the 4-3, he may think he would be better in a 3-4. There is nothinig behind this.

Anybody else read this part of the article in TBN this morning and let out a chuckle? I know nothing about college football and don't have any opinion on individual players, but let's be honest, who wouldn't take Polian's word over Mike Mayock?

"NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock thinks Maybin is better suited to outside linebacker than 4-3 defensive end.

However, Colts President Bill Polian, whose team runs the same defensive scheme as Buffalo, was unequivocal on his view of Maybin. Asked Sunday if the Nittany Lion could play end in a Colts-style defense, Polian said: "Yes he could."

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/587337.html

Mayock = "Expert"

Polian = EXPERT

Key phrases bolded. Maybin probably wouldn't hold up as a stereotypical 4-3 end, but neither the Colts nor Bills play a standard 4-3 ...

Ok? Neither guy really said anything, they could have the same opinion on Myabin. Mayock said Maybin would be better in a 3-4, which is understandable. Polian said that Maybin COULd play DE. Neither said he couldnt do one or the other. Polian didnt say he is better in the 4-3, he may think he would be better in a 3-4. There is nothinig behind this.

Also, why would Polian tell the truth in terms of how he feels? His job is that of a poker player to some degree. I doubt if he would tip his hand all that frequently.

It tells you right in the article that Mathis plays at 245lbs. Maybin has already put on 20lbs. and is up over 250. Why is he "best suited" as a 3-4 OLB? I get tired of all of the "draft experts" who try to say that guys are "best suited" for something other than the position they actually played in college. I think alot of times these guys could play either position and shouldn't be considered for just one because a "draft expert" ^_^ said so. If they were that good they'd be on some team's payroll, the "draft experts" that is.

Also, why would Polian tell the truth in terms of how he feels? His job is that of a poker player to some degree. I doubt if he would tip his hand all that frequently.

Why wouldnt Polian tell the truth? There is NO chance Maybin will be avail when the Colts pick in the first round, so telling the truth can't hurt him. I have no idea of what your post is suppose to say. As Thoner points out, neither Polian or Mayock said anything that disputes what the other said.

I hope DT Raji falls to us and we either pick up Mack in the 2nd or sign Jason Brown; then we'd be really stout on BOTH sides up the middle! Who knows; if Schoebel gets healthy and Ellis develops then we might have the makings of one mean D-line! If the pass rush is still lacking I say wait until next year's draft or Free agency to get a stud! I just dont want to see the Bills reach for a DE in a so-so draft at the position and pass on a stud at other positions as we aren't one player away from contending.

Maybin makes me nervous. He is small, one year of production and didn't show enough to his coach to even start until the third game of the season.

At this stage, and the little knowledge I have regarding Maybin, I would stay away from this pick.

Or maybe because the kids ahead of him on the depth chart -- Maurice Evans, PSU's returning sacks leader and a preseason All-American before being suspended for the second through fourth games of the season, and Josh Gaines, a three-year starter and team captain -- earned those spots before Maybin started coming into his own. If you know anything about JoePa, you know that seniority has its privileges.

And Evans never got his job back.

I do think Maybin should've stayed in school, but that's my blue-and-white bias showing. I also think that "better at 3-4 rush LB" doesn't necessarily mean Mayock thinks Maybin would suck in a 4-3.