The Oscars

buckeyemike

They became friends in the movie, too. And no, they don't make it look like Dan White killed Milk because he hated gays. Did you watch the film? They make it very clear that White felt betrayed by Milk for his lack of political support after they became friends, and that White eventually became unstable. I guess Diane Feinstein isn't very good at interpreting movies.

Besides, they don't hand out the Best Actor Oscar for historical accuracy. Do small inaccuracies cheapen the acting job he did?

I'm going by what she said. She was there when it happened. I haven't been to a movie in about a year ($ reasons)

Yeah, because you're allowed to have your opinion but Sean Penn is a bastard for having his. Have you even seen Milk? What makes you think he didn't deserve the award?

Sage, first of all I have to excuse myself for coming on strong on this. I am just sick of hearing all of the bad things about this country come out of Sean Penn's mouth, simply because he disagrees with how things should be.

I am not saying that Penn has no right to his opinion, he has every right. Having said that, I have the right to express my opinion of him, as well. What I don't like is that he states his opinions as if they were facts. That is what I have a problem with. If he could prove that the reason why every single person who voted yes on proposition 8 in California, was primarily because they hate gay people, then he would have something to say. Until then, his opinion is just that, his opinion, not fact.

To answer your second question, yes I did see Milk, and Penn was very good in it, he is a talented actor. I'm not saying he did'nt deserve it. Personally I thought Frank Langella should have won, but I would have understood if Mickey Rourke would have won too, I thought they were the two best nominees in that category. I would have been shocked if Brad Pitt had won, he was good in Ben Button but not Oscar good.

Sage, first of all I have to excuse myself for coming on strong on this. I am just sick of hearing all of the bad things about this country come out of Sean Penn's mouth, simply because he disagrees with how things should be.

I am not saying that Penn has no right to his opinion, he has every right. Having said that, I have the right to express my opinion of him, as well. What I don't like is that he states his opinions as if they were facts. That is what I have a problem with. If he could prove that the reason why every single person who voted yes on proposition 8 in California, was primarily because they hate gay people, then he would have something to say. Until then, his opinion is just that, his opinion, not fact.

To answer your second question, yes I did see Milk, and Penn was very good in it, he is a talented actor. I'm not saying he did'nt deserve it. Personally I thought Frank Langella should have won, but I would have understood if Mickey Rourke would have won too, I thought they were the two best nominees in that category. I would have been shocked if Brad Pitt had won, he was good in Ben Button but not Oscar good.

To be fair, IIRC the only time he used the word "hate" was to describe the protesters lining the road/carpet/whatever on their way in. He did, however, lay shame upon those who supported Prop 8, and in doing so he was abrasively out spoken. But oh well, he got YOU to talk about it the following day. As an activist--as he rightfully touts himself, for better or worse--his abrasiveness aided Penn in accomplishing every activists' goal: awareness.

WTF??? They didn't honor him? How many billions of dollars do you think he made for Hollywood in his life? Unappreciative S.O.B's...

Yeah, regarding DLF I had a big "oh yeah" moment when I googled "Carlin ommited from Oscars in memoriam" and came across a blog which listed a bunch of others, DLF included. Good call, man. Literally, quite litearlly, that guy was a one-man marketing tool for a long f'ing time.

Yeah, regarding DLF I had a big "oh yeah" moment when I googled "Carlin ommited from Oscars in memoriam" and came across a blog which listed a bunch of others, DLF included. Good call, man. Literally, quite litearlly, that guy was a one-man marketing tool for a long f'ing time.

I did'nt see Patrick McGoohan either, yet I saw Ricardo Montalban and both of them died one day apart from each other.

I like the memorium, but I find the applause from the audience to be unsettling. It's as if the applause is for the people they liked more than the other.

BTW did everyone notice the lack of applause when Charlton Heston was on the screen?

I did'nt see Patrick McGoohan either, yet I saw Ricardo Montalban and both of them died one day apart from each other.

I like the memorium, but I find the applause from the audience to be unsettling. It's as if the applause is for the people they liked more than the other.

BTW did everyone notice the lack of applause when Charlton Heston was on the screen?

I specifically waited to hear his applause. It was hard to tell though if there was a lack of applause or if it was drowned from the orchestra swell that happened simultaneously.

The clapping I don't mind. Halting your applause for another person who died because you're not as familiar with their work, now that's something else.

I did'nt see Patrick McGoohan either

That's a worse omission than Carlin IMO. How many actors have a better resume of playing movie bad-guys than McGoohan?

Of course, I couldn't see who any of them where because instead of showing the honorees, they kept showing some fat broad singing some crappy song.

That's a worse omission than Carlin IMO. How many actors have a better resume of playing movie bad-guys than McGoohan?

Of course, I couldn't see who any of them where because instead of showing the honorees, they kept showing some fat broad singing some crappy song.

McGoohan died in January, 2009. I'm pretty sure it's all 2008, and I assume he will be in next year's Oscars memoriam.

Carlin never really did much as a film actor. Sure he had his bit parts that were funny, but if the Academy showed every single film actor that had the career that George Carlin did, it would be 25 minutes long. Carlin may very well be the best stand-up ever, and his TV career was fabulous. He's surely my favorite. But movies, he was pretty much a flop, not to mention that he was somewhat of a crappy actor. A lot of comedians are excellent actors but he really wasn't.

McGoohan died in January, 2009. I'm pretty sure it's all 2008, and I assume he will be in next year's Oscars memoriam.

Carlin never really did much as a film actor. Sure he had his bit parts that were funny, but if the Academy showed every single film actor that had the career that George Carlin did, it would be 25 minutes long. Carlin may very well be the best stand-up ever, and his TV career was fabulous. He's surely my favorite. But movies, he was pretty much a flop, not to mention that he was somewhat of a crappy actor. A lot of comedians are excellent actors but he really wasn't.

Then how do you explain Bernie Mac being shown?

Then how do you explain Bernie Mac being shown?

Bernie Mac was a huge star who was in over 30 movies, starred in several of them, and at least 4-5 made $100 million or more (not that he was solely responsible). He was a big player for quite some time. There is zero question he would belong. He was also known as a very good comic actor.

Bernie Mac was a huge star who was in over 30 movies, starred in several of them, and at least 4-5 made $100 million or more (not that he was solely responsible). He was a big player for quite some time. There is zero question he would belong. He was also known as a very good comic actor.

I'm just saying, Carlin passed just before his career reached 50 years.

Good points on both counts. Agreed on Carlin -- this is a Hollywood party and he was not a Hollywood guy. I only recall him with bit parts in a handful of comedies (Bill & Ted, Dogma).

Good points on both counts. Agreed on Carlin -- this is a Hollywood party and he was not a Hollywood guy. I only recall him with bit parts in a handful of comedies (Bill & Ted, Dogma).

Carlin was good in both of the Bill & Ted movies. He also played Ben Affleck's dad in Jersey Girl, which is a better movie than a lot of people give it credit for.

My 3 year old nephew will remember him as the voice of the hippie VW Van Fillmore in Cars.