Schonert speaks at the Combine

lets_go_bills

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I've always liked the idea of a full-time FB blowing up LBs and clearing paths for RBs. But FBs seem to be a dying breed these days in the NFL.

Per billsdaily.com:

No FB This Year? In his comments to the media during the combine this week, Turk Schonert indicated the Bills may not go with a fullback this year. When Schonert took over as offensive coordinator last year one of the first things he decided to do was bring the fullback back into the offense. Corey McIntyre was the man but saw his playing time decrease as the season went on as the Bills chose to run behind a two tight end offense instead. McIntyre is an unrestricted free agent and will likely not be back. Look for the Bills to not carry a fullback this year and uses one of their blocking tight ends in that role like Derek Schouman or Derek Fine.

Your thoughts?

He said that before last year, too.

Actually, Schonert said the opposite. He said that we "need" a true fullback on the team and took a veiled shot at Fairchild for using a Tight End in that spot. One year later, he's looking to do the same thing.

No, he said that he was going to bring the FB back to the Bills offense last year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/408245.html

But Barnes’ talents will be utilized with the Bills, who have shifted their offensive philosophy now that Turk Schonert is the coordinator. The Bills are going back to a traditional two-back set for the first time since 2006, when they had Daimon Shelton at fullback.

“I grew up in Bill Walsh’s offense [at Stanford] and they always threw the ball to the fullback,” said Schonert, who was Walsh’s quarterback with the Cardinal.

“When I was here the first time we had Sam Gash and he was a good thumper, but we’d run a play fake and he had good hands and we threw it in the flat to him a bunch of times. I think we can do that with Darian.”

Actually, Schonert said the opposite. He said that we "need" a true fullback on the team and took a veiled shot at Fairchild for using a Tight End in that spot. One year later, he's looking to do the same thing.

This was exactly my take on the string of events. Criticize your predecessor and then consider doing the same thing he did.

And this post conveniently gives me the time to again advocate for the Bills to sign one of the top two free agent fullbacks: Leonard Weaver or Heath Evans.

Weaver: Comment: Weaver is massive and athletic for his size. A converted tight end drafted out of tiny Carson-Newman, he has adjusted quickly to a new position and a much higher level of play in just two NFL seasons. (He sat out 2006 because of an ankle injury.) Weaver still is learning how to block out of the backfield, but he delivers a good blow on iso blocks and has the power and bulk to follow up and sustain. He shows above-average run skills in the red zone. He has natural receiving tools that reflect his background at tight end. He still needs a lot of work on blitz pickups, tracking stunts and making the quick decision to seal off the corner on sweeps. Weaver still is extremely raw, but he acquitted himself nicely when veteran FB Mack Strong retired last season. He shows enough promise and athleticism to project as a good NFL starter.

Evans: Comment: Evans is an eight-year veteran who is a good combination of size, strength and athleticism. He is a hard-nosed player who will square up on linebackers on isolation blocks or cutting defenders on perimeter schemes. He has good foot agility, balance and quickness to searchlight moving targets in space. He is used primarily as a run-blocker, but has decent foot agility, quickness and balance with the ball in his hands. He isn't a quick-footed runner to make effective inline cuts, but has power to move the pile on contact. He is limited as a receiver out of the backfield with just average hand dexterity. He doesn't adjust or pluck the ball away from his body well nor show much run after the catch ability in the open field.

Fullbacks are cheap and we need a good one, and lo and behold, there's two good ones available. It's far from our primary need and it's hard to get excited about signing a fullback but if you're going to have a fullback...

Is it me or does Turk just seem not up to this job? Switching his strategy after just one year on the job? Don't most good coordinators have a set philosophy of what they want to do going into their job? This whole coaching staff (except April of course) just look comically over matched....it's disconcerting. ^_^

Is it me or does Turk just seem not up to this job? Switching his strategy after just one year on the job? Don't most good coordinators have a set philosophy of what they want to do going into their job?

They also have the flexibility/maturity to realize that their RB's styles aren't suited to following plow horse FBs. IMO, Marshawn just doesn't have the patience and/or vision to follow a FB, while Fred is a cutback runner.

Blah blah blah...it's just your typical off-season lip-service.

The Bills haven't utilized a FB recently because their o-line blows at run blocking. Fullback is obviously useless if he doesn't have a crease to turn into a hole with one block.

With this mediocre run-blocking line, they're better off using an extra WR to spread the field than going with a FB IMO.

It's a wasted roster spot.

Is it me or does Turk just seem not up to this job? Switching his strategy after just one year on the job? Don't most good coordinators have a set philosophy of what they want to do going into their job? This whole coaching staff (except April of course) just look comically over matched....it's disconcerting. ^_^

I don't know...I think if the Bills had found a true fullback, who they could throw out of the backfield to (like Gash, "a thumper" who could catch) Schonert wouldn't be saying this. It is just that, perhaps, he feels like they have a better chance of finding a couple of tight ends who can contribute, in some way, to the team, rather than wasting a roster spot on a fullback, who won't contribute, just to say we have a fullback. It seemed, particularly in the later half of the season, both Marshawn and Jackson proved adept at running without a blocking fullback. Of course, this is just a theory... for all the Bills success with tight ends, they could probably function just as efficiently without one of them as well... which isn't saying much.

I don't know...I think if the Bills had found a true fullback, who they could throw out of the backfield to (like Gash, "a thumper" who could catch) Schonert wouldn't be saying this. It is just that, perhaps, he feels like they have a better chance of finding a couple of tight ends who can contribute, in some way, to the team, rather than wasting a roster spot on a fullback, who won't contribute, just to say we have a fullback. It seemed, particularly in the later half of the season, both Marshawn and Jackson proved adept at running without a blocking fullback. Of course, this is just a theory... for all the Bills success with tight ends, they could probably function just as efficiently without one of them as well... which isn't saying much.

I understand Turk's initial philosophy of throwing the flat route to a fullback, considering our tight end situation is abysmal. I think he tried it last year for about one half of the first game and realized that just doesn't work when you have also-rans at that position as well. That strategy got abandoned and now he is revising his philosophy, hoping the TE/H-back situation will improve. I hope it will too - I always thought a reliable and talented TE is a big help to a young quarterback (I still think Romo would be terrible without Witten). The jury is still out on Fine of course, and drafting a TE in the 1st or 2nd round is an option for us obviously, even though that is a shame when the holes on defense at every position (except corner) are a huge concern.

all the fullbacks did was waste a roster spot last year, either do it right, or don't bother. so I guess they're taking the easy route and not bothering lol.

That is the trut rackem. Quit bringing in bodies off the street if you're going to utilize the position. If you're gonna use a FB get a goddamn FB.