Mayock's Constant Plugging of Pat White

H2o

This is ridiculous. We all talk about Mayock's insight, knowledge, player ratings, and coverage of college players as an "NFL Draft Expert". He's on alot of times, but his constant plugging of Pat White is getting nauseating. He just said that he's a 2nd round pick. :beer: There is no way that Pat White is anything more than a gimmick guy. 2nd round is crazy to even mention his name in.

We took Parrish in the second round. He has pretty much been a gimmick guy/punt returner. We then resigned a pure punt returner to a huge extension. Pat White is the same guy, most likely better, coming out of college. All of that is without his ability to play some QB. Mayock seems to be right on with his value assesment... as long as the Bills are drafting I guess.

It's starting to look more and more like Pat White will get drafted as a QB. Probably a 3rd or 4th to me, but Mayock says 2nd. He may very well have vaulted himself past Davis and Freeman to claim the No. 3 QB spot in this year's draft class.

Per si.com:

INDIANAPOLIS -- Musings, observations and the occasional insight as we wrap up Money Day at the NFL Scouting Combine, the day the quarterbacks show their stuff (at least the ones who deem to work out) ...

• Score one for collegiate experience and a little old-fashioned perseverance, because of all the quarterbacks who threw on Sunday in Lucas Oil Stadium, none looked better than West Virginia's Pat White, the record-breaking senior passer who many have been trying to project as anything but a quarterback.

White threw the ball accurately and with authority in his quarterback group, looking poised and comfortable in an unfamiliar setting that has thrown many a highly-ranked quarterback off his game. White was especially strong in throwing deep outs, which always catch the eye of NFL scouts.

"I'll tell you who looked good today and that was Pat White,'' one longtime NFL offensive assistant coach told me. "He really helped himself with that workout. He made people recognize him as a quarterback.''

In a draft class heavy with junior quarterbacks at the top, it was White who generated the most buzz Sunday. Not USC's Mark Sanchez, who was decent but far from spectacular, or Georgia's Matthew Stafford, the top-rated passer who ran a solid 40-yard dash (low 4.8s) but declined to throw here with the rest of the draft's quarterbacks.

White might still be thought of by some NFL talent evaluators as best-suited to be a team's Wildcat formation quarterback and part-time receiver, but all Sunday's throwing session has to do is convince one team to draft him as a full-time quarterback.

"He was sharp and he made all the throws you want to see,'' another NFL talent evaluator told me. "Our quarterbacks coach said he looked better than most people anticipated.''

This is ridiculous. We all talk about Mayock's insight, knowledge, player ratings, and coverage of college players as an "NFL Draft Expert". He's on alot of times, but his constant plugging of Pat White is getting nauseating. He just said that he's a 2nd round pick. :beer: There is no way that Pat White is anything more than a gimmick guy. 2nd round is crazy to even mention his name in.

I disagree. I like Pat White as a QB. In the right system I think he could be a very good NFL QB. And that system would not have to be the read-option that they use at WVU. He's an accurate passer with good arm strength and obviously he's very mobile. I think he could be a more talented version of Rich Gannon when he took the Raiders to the Super Bowl. I'd love to see the Bills draft him if he was around in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Well in addition to all the things others have said supporting Mayock's argument, you have to consider this H2o:

Kordell Stewart was picked in the 2nd round, 60th overall in 1995.

Antwaan Randle El was picked in the 2nd round, 62nd overall in 2002.

Both of those guys were very successful college quarterbacks who were athletic enough to also project to other positions.

So while I agree with you that I wouldn't spend a 2nd round pick on someone like Pat White, there is a precedent for it happening.

Well in addition to all the things others have said supporting Mayock's argument, you have to consider this H2o:

Kordell Stewart was picked in the 2nd round, 60th overall in 1995.

Antwaan Randle El was picked in the 2nd round, 62nd overall in 2002.

Both of those guys were very successful college quarterbacks who were athletic enough to also project to other positions.

So while I agree with you that I wouldn't spend a 2nd round pick on someone like Pat White, there is a precedent for it happening.

Touche! :beer: I didn't know where those other guys were selected. Maybe he is a 2nd round pick for some one. He is an impressive athlete, I give him that much. I just got tired of Mayock slurping the guy kind of like ESPN college announcers slurp the USC Trojans. It's sickening. I'm not saying I think he's horrible or anything, just not a 2nd round prospect IMO. :wacko: