Miller is hurt...

RayFinkle

I was amazed, while watching the game, which was pretty hard hitting, all night, there wasn't more direct retaliation by the Sabres when it happened. It was obviously intentional. Someone (can't remember who) hit Gomez a while later...but I think there would have been a much bigger deal made in other arenas if the home team goaltender was taken out by a cheap shot like that.

All that aside, the "good Sabres" showed up tonight... nice game. They hit, and had a nice offensive flow. Tim Connolly made some terrific passes tonight...

I was amazed, while watching the game, which was pretty hard hitting, all night, there wasn't more direct retaliation by the Sabres when it happened. It was obviously intentional. Someone (can't remember who) hit Gomez a while later...but I think there would have been a much bigger deal made in other arenas if the home team goaltender was taken out by a cheap shot like that.

All that aside, the "good Sabres" showed up tonight... nice game. They hit, and had a nice offensive flow. Tim Connolly made some terrific passes tonight...

They should of chopped the Rags goalies head off, that would of showed them.

They should of chopped the Rags goalies head off, that would of showed them.

I think (hope) you are being sarcastic... I just meant it would have been nice for someone to go after Gomez right when it happened. The Sabres have been trying to shrug off the "soft" label for years now, this would have been a nice instance to show a little emotion. Having a designated "enforcer" that fights like my sister used to when we were kids, doesn't help.

I know, nitpicking, on what was an otherwise very good showing... I just think one advantage that some of the better teams in the league will have on the Sabres, should they get to the playoffs, is knowing that the Sabres can be pushed around, and sometimes seem like they are forcing themselves to react. The rules of hockey allow for some reasonable retaliation, why not take advantage?

What is sad is that I have had more of a reaction to something like that in my beer league than these guys did in an NHL game....

Knock Ruff all you want or call the Sabres wimps/soft... But there is something to be said about DISCIPLINE. IMO, Ruff and his players are playing by the rules the league (NHL) wants them to adhere to. The kicker is that the NHL is so screwed up and poorly governed that how the Sabres conduct themselves rarely gets applauded.

The league is so dysfunctional IMO. [on sarcasm] Let's get them back, surely that will teach the offending player "a lesson." They will think twice next time! ^_^:lol: [/off sarcasm]

What I am saying is: What were they supposed to do? Run Gomez, ya the league would have had them (Sabres) in a wringer for that.

It is damn if you do, damn if you don't IMO. Some hockey players can't conduct themselves professionally ON THE ICE and it goes unnoticed... And now when a team shows discipline, they get "wimpified" or called soft. <_<

The league is going back to the same NHL that lost a ton of fans in the 1990's... The same old league.

:lol::lol:

Now if the league really wants to put teeth into players actually policing themselves (like many here seem to espouse)... Repeal the instigator rule first and foremost!

Knock Ruff all you want or call the Sabres wimps/soft... But there is something to be said about DISCIPLINE. IMO, Ruff and his players are playing by the rules the league (NHL) wants them to adhere to. The kicker is that the NHL is so screwed up and poorly governed that how the Sabres conduct themselves rarely gets applauded.

The league is so dysfunctional IMO. [on sarcasm] Let's get them back, surely that will teach the offending player "a lesson." They will think twice next time! ^_^:lol: [/off sarcasm]

What I am saying is: What were they supposed to do? Run Gomez, ya the league would have had them (Sabres) in a wringer for that.

It is damn if you do, damn if you don't IMO. Some hockey players can't conduct themselves professionally ON THE ICE and it goes unnoticed... And now when a team shows discipline, they get "wimpified" or called soft. <_<

The league is going back to the same NHL that lost a ton of fans in the 1990's... The same old league.

:lol::lol:

Now if the league really wants to put teeth into players actually policing themselves (like many here seem to espouse)... Repeal the instigator rule first and foremost!

I see your point, and appreciate it, to a point. But, like you said, the game is returning to what it was before the lockout. I am not advocating that anyone try to take Gomez out, like he did Miller, but that they merely show some fire when something like that happens. The rules of the game allow for it, within reason. They aren't removing fighting from the game for a reason.

The Sabres can't really expect to make it too far, if they allow themselves to be pushed around on the ice, playing like gentlemen. Lindy himself was not a dirty player, nor was he particularly skilled player, but as a team captain in Buffalo he understood the importance of playing with some sort of attitude that your team will dictate the way the game is played, not the other way around. That is generally how you win games in any sport. The Sabres could use a little of that from time to time. Lindy was an emotional player, which was a big reason he was a team captain, and likely has been successful as it's head coach.

I see your point, and appreciate it, to a point. But, like you said, the game is returning to what it was before the lockout. I am not advocating that anyone try to take Gomez out, like he did Miller, but that they merely show some fire when something like that happens. The rules of the game allow for it, within reason. They aren't removing fighting from the game for a reason.

The Sabres can't really expect to make it too far, if they allow themselves to be pushed around on the ice, playing like gentlemen. Lindy himself was not a dirty player, nor was he particularly skilled player, but as a team captain in Buffalo he understood the importance of playing with some sort of attitude that your team will dictate the way the game is played, not the other way around. That is generally how you win games in any sport. The Sabres could use a little of that from time to time. Lindy was an emotional player, which was a big reason he was a team captain, and likely has been successful as it's head coach.

Yet, IMO Lindy (as a coach) micromanages every aspect of the game down to who hits who and when. That does disempower the players and make them dysfunctional. By no means do I want to see him leave. A "Tom Coughlin type transformation" may be in order for Lindy to finally break on past into a championship caliber coach though. ??

I agree with what you are saying. Lindy did play BEFORE the instigator rule. He could skate around and look to uphold things... Nowadays you can't, it all about "the game." IMO, to the detriment of the game. A player will hurt their team more and the chance to win by being undisciplined... This discipline comes at the expense of your own teamates many times. I am torn because on one hand I know why the league made the rule, on the other hand it opened up other problems. I blame the way the league is governed... You either go back to the way the game was played or forge ahead and change the CULTURE along with the rules... And that they haven't, they have just changed the rules. And yes, I believe that it can be done. IMO, the league wants things both ways (old and new) and they are failing miserably. There is no "honor" out there, there is no "code"... Just look at some of the crazy crap that has happened on the ice in recent years.

Oh... And BTW, what do you think of the whole SC v. AO (Sidney Crosby v. Alex Ovechkin) clusterphuck? I am not sure where I stand, they both have issues I depise and they both have issues I love. What is missing with the two?

I agree, they do need to show more fight. But I think the situation was just odd. Gomez clearly ran Miller, whether it was intentional or not (IMO he wanted to give him a tap, but lost his edge), and yet there was no whistle or penalty. The bottom line is he hit Miller, not all high sticks are intentional, yet they are penalties. I think had the whistle blown right away and a penalty called, there would have been Sabres in his face. The Sabres were down one man when it happened, so to go after Gomez when no penalty was called, would have gave NY a 5-3 advantage. I do believe they need to acquire a physical defenseman in a trade to establish a more phical presents. And maybe now with Miller out, they will be forced to do that.

the sabres need to stand up for themselves and their goalie.

I'm sick of seeing miller being run in the past 3 weeks. it seems as word is going around that yuo can frusterate millsy and take him off his game by bumping him and getting in his face. The sabres need to address it.

Miller is the single most important player on the team. If they plan to do anything in the playoffs its because miller is going to carry the team. the only thing worse than vanek going down is miller getting hurt.

Im sick of seeing the sabres bullied and pushed around. stand up for yourself and each other and this nonsense will stop. i have no problem with somone taking a penalty after a play like that maybe it will send a message to your team to wake up and that they cannot accept that anymore.