Mayock just announced his latest Top 20

lets_go_bills

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For real? Guy called college games for over 10 years before hiring on at NFLN, and the draft is his full-time job.

Oh, wait. I see what you did there. He doesn't have KIPER'S background, so he obviously can't be legit. Breaking: there's more than one way to become an "expert" at something.

thats right, according to you he became an expert for playing 3 years in the league...give me a break

If you paid attention to his track record you'd find out he's the best, IMO, out there. I

his tracking record of what? stealing other peoples information

thats right, according to you he became an expert for playing 3 years in the league...give me a break

Or by, you know, breaking down and analyzing game films for more than a decade. Or do you think he just shows up on the set and reads a TelePrompter script someone else has written?

Wait, I think I already know your answer to that question. Never mind ...

Mayock is legit. The real fake is Todd McShay.

Absolutely.

One question here though, how does a guy like Mayock have Roberty Ayers (Tennessee) as his #1 DE? The guy never had more than 4 sacks in a season in college, and his 3 sacks his Senior season came in 2 games. Doesn't make sense to me...

This was before the combine; he'll change things now. Frequently. If Pettigrew is the 11th overall pick, it isn't saying much about the guys behind him.

IMO this kid will be a great TE. he is already a fabulous blocker and pass catcher and is an incredible red zone target with his size the only knock against him is his speed and thats not terrible.

however i would surrender the #11 pick for Daniels.

his tracking record of what? stealing other peoples information

Dude, have you ever heard Mike Mayock talk about a prospect? He sure doesn't speak about players as though he's reciting a script. You can't give the kind of details regarding a player's skills and the associated requirements of his position without knowing what you're talking about. And it's not like he only knows the details for the top 5 guys at each position, this guy could tell you the tendencies and aptitudes of every player at the cobmine.

Aside from all that, he routinely is correct in his assessments of prospects. Naturally, he's going to make some mistakes (i.e. JaMarcus Russell and Michael Huff), but he's also spot-on with guys most have never heard of before (Joe Flacco, Logan Mankins, Marques Colston, Nick Collins, Mewelde Moore). He's also really good at explaining what it is that NFL scouts look for in a player at each position, which a dude like me would never fully understand otherwise.

or the fact that he gets most of his information from other peoples work

a lot of people played in the NFL, it doesnt mean they are experts

it would be different if the guy went out and did it on his own and then was hired by NFL Network but he was an announcer that was hired by NFL Network to be their draft guy and boom, all of a sudden he's a so called draft expert

are you serious. you could not be more incorrect espicially you first sentence. really man whats your problem. the guy has great connections in the league and attends all the events games combines etc. playing in the game gives him experience and experience in any walk of life is a great asset.

"it would be different if the guy went out and did it on his own" what in Gods name does that mean and how is it relevant as to how he is qualified to judge talent. you make no sense.

how you can knock the guy is beyond me why you have this hard on for the guy is very strange. he is very good @ what he does however for some reason only you know you have issues with the guy.

what did he do steal your girlfriend,LOL

Idiots criticizing Mayock on this board. You wannabees have no idea. Mayock is exceptional at draft analysis. Light years beyond Kiper or McShay. It seems to be the trend to automatically refer every national media reporter as a douche. While most are Mayock is not. He is pretty accurate with most of his analysis. Anyone remember what he said about McKelvin? So although I do not visit this board often I know not to respect the opinions of those who have criticism of Mayock without making any legit points.

Absolutely.

One question here though, how does a guy like Mayock have Roberty Ayers (Tennessee) as his #1 DE? The guy never had more than 4 sacks in a season in college, and his 3 sacks his Senior season came in 2 games. Doesn't make sense to me...

Mayock loved what he saw from Ayers during the Senior Bowl week. He loved him and practice, and saw agility he didn't know Ayers had. Ayers isn't my cup of tea, but Mayock sees something he believes in, and I gotta give him credit for sticking with his opinions that are contrary to most.

Or by, you know, breaking down and analyzing game films for more than a decade. Or do you think he just shows up on the set and reads a TelePrompter script someone else has written?

Wait, I think I already know your answer to that question. Never mind ...

Being an "insider" can't hurt in terms of making contacts, seeing how things tick up close, etc.

Kind of a ridiculous debate (as are most of our debates).

Unless you create a database that includes where each expert rated each player and where those players were drafted, how those players performed, etc and then created an algorithm to rate the experts, there's no real empirical data to support anyone's argument, pro or con.

I like that Mayock has the courage to go against the flow with his opinions and that he's not just one of the herd. I don't rate him any higher than any of the other so called experts and I don't rate him any lower, because I really don't know. All these guys have there hits and misses.

Is Mayock any less accurate than his peers? I don't think so but again, none of us really knows.

Being an "insider" can't hurt in terms of making contacts, seeing how things tick up close, etc.

Precisely. Take our man Graham at ESPN. Sure, he knows football, and he knows how to work a pro beat with the best of them ... but was he an "expert" on the NFL two years ago, when he was still covering the Sabres for the BuffNews? Or did he start becoming one when he got the Dolphins gig at the PBP? Whether it's preps or pros, if you want to do a good job, you learn everything you can about your beat.

Mayock's been at NFLN since what, 2005? And as I said earlier, watching college games and analyzing the draft have been his full-time job since then. Whether or not I agree with his analysis of any given player, I'd be inclined to accept those credentials as evidence of "expert" status.

As always, your results may vary ...

man try being real,what he forgot about football most of us will never know. did you really just make that comment to make yourself look like a complete idiot try getting a life the only douche is you after making that comment.

if you dont have anything constructive to say just shut up!

I agree :beer:

I think we all know who the real douche on this board is, the one who made that initial statement!

Mayock has been recruited by various teams to be their head scout, assistant GM and numerous positions involving the talent evaluation process. He turned them all down to stay at the NFL network for whatever reason.

Mayocks track record, if you will, has become better than Mel Kipers/Todd McShay at ESPN.

Having said that I think there's no way the Bills draft him that early. His numbers at the combine were middle of the pack at best, and the off-field incident of assaulting a police officer in light of Marshawn's problems are enough red flags for me.

I like him well enough as a player but not at #11.