It's almost over...

I'm a politically minded person. Yet, I wanted this election over with months ago.

Politics have just sickened me in recent years. Many of you know that I'm a Republican with judicial aspirations here in Cleveland. But, I don't even like to look at the game anymore. There are just so many more important things in life than achieving and maintaining political power. I'm starting to think that politics is for people who can't hold down a real job and would never make it in the real world that the rest of us live in.

Will I run in the future? Probably. Will it kill me if I don't win? Absolutely not.

I will vote for President Bush tomorrow. I don't necessarily think that John Kerry would be a bad President. But, I don't like the man personally. I don't like that he's sold his soul to gain power. I think he could have handled his differences with the "Swift Boat" veterans much better than he did. And, he needs to tell Teresa to pipe down a little bit, at least until after the election (after all, Hillary did).

The President has made some major mistakes. He should have strengthened intelligence to make damn sure that there were WMD's before invading. The economy, while recovering, is sputtering here in Cleveland and in WNY. Morality is a concern, but there's an old adage that the morals of many tend to come to a screeching halt at their wallets.

And even as a conservative, I despise the Patriot Act. It was a mistake to pass that piece of legislation, and Congress did so just to show that something was "being done" to protect us after 9/11.

Don't even get me started on all these political commercials. ;) I don't care if an opponent didn't keep a promise, is a liberal or a right-winger, kicks stray dogs or doesn't close his eyes during prayer.

I think I'll hunker down and watch DVD's until tomorrow morning, go out and vote, and then stay home until this whole thing blows over. That's about the way I feel right now.

Mike

Tough to argue with any of that.

One thing, though. If you're going to stay home until the whole thing blows over, you may want to stock up - it could be a while.

94311[/snapback]

Exactly. If this is as close as most of the polls say it is, this might be decided in the courts and be far from over by Wednesday.

I'd like to stay away from all of it until Wednesday...unfortunately, I have several things I have to get done.

At least, keep me away from the TV and radio...I'm liable to throw things at them.

Mike

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

I have mostly fear and anxiety, because the lives of the armed forces are at stake. I'll either be having a party, or depressed beyond belief. That's what this whole process has done to me personally...

I'll contribute towards your one way ticket.

94834[/snapback]

News flash Solo:

If they have the internet in Alaska, that probably means they have it in NI. You'll have traded Eryn for a drunk Eryn posting in the middle of the US night. Bad move.

Great Post, Mike.

Its been a long year, fer sure and must more nasty that most would have liked.

At the end of it all, I just hope its a clean election tomorrow with a clear winner and one that is not challenged by a bunch of lawyers on Wed morning. NO SORE LOSERS.

I am sick of this election hype too, for some of your reasons and some different ones. For one, I am really tired of the way the Dems take the African American vote for granted - they don't even have to earn it. As my little niece would sa: [ I resent being told who to vote for. As my little niece would say, YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME! I am also tired of seeing Kerry in black churches. In big cities like Philadelphia, the African American churches are basically a subsidiary of the Democratic party. DoesKerry ever go to white houses of worship? If Bush went to a white Catholic or conservative Christ church, the media would scream bloody murder. I believe in keeping religion and politics separate.

That said, I am not a fan of Bush. However, I don't think all the problems in the African American community are due to Washington policies.

With Nader off the ballot here, I feel like staying home, but I not. I'm just going to vote for some local politicians I like and then go to work.

May the best candidate win.

I am sick of this election hype too, for some of your reasons and some different ones.  For one, I am really tired of the way the Dems take the African American vote for granted - they don't even have to earn it.  As my little niece would sa:  [ I resent being told who to vote for. As my little niece would say,  YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME! I am also tired of seeing Kerry in black churches.  In big cities like Philadelphia, the African American churches are basically a subsidiary of the Democratic party.  DoesKerry ever go to white houses of worship?  If Bush went to a white Catholic or conservative Christ church, the media would scream bloody murder.  I believe in keeping religion and politics separate.

That said, I am not a fan of Bush.  However, I don't think all the problems in the African American community are due to Washington policies.

With Nader off the ballot here, I feel like staying home, but I not.  I'm just going to vote for some local politicians I like and then go to work.

95225[/snapback]

You can always vote for me. :)

I am sick of this election hype too, for some of your reasons and some different ones.  For one, I am really tired of the way the Dems take the African American vote for granted - they don't even have to earn it.  As my little niece would sa:  [ I resent being told who to vote for. As my little niece would say,  YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME! I am also tired of seeing Kerry in black churches.  In big cities like Philadelphia, the African American churches are basically a subsidiary of the Democratic party.  DoesKerry ever go to white houses of worship?  If Bush went to a white Catholic or conservative Christ church, the media would scream bloody murder.  I believe in keeping religion and politics separate.

That said, I am not a fan of Bush.  However, I don't think all the problems in the African American community are due to Washington policies.

With Nader off the ballot here, I feel like staying home, but I not.  I'm just going to vote for some local politicians I like and then go to work.

95225[/snapback]

As far as the African American churches are concerned, I think you're right, Melissa. It reminds me of Warren Beatty in the very underrated film "Bulworth", when asked if the Democratic leadership didn't really care for the plight of African-Americans, Beatty's character said, "Isn't it obvious?"

So many groups and "special interests" in this wonderful nation have sold themselves for a bowl of pottage. This includes the pro-life lobby, the Christian Coalition, gay and lesbian groups, unions, and others. They have failed to remember that many of those politicians, to paraphrase Charles Colson, would walk over their own grandmother if it helped them or their candidate get elected.

BTW, I don't like Nader either, but it's because he's a narcissist who thinks he's smart enough to save the world (we have our own local one here, Dennis Kucinich. I apologize to everyone on this board for him.).

Mike

While I'll be glad once this thing is settled, I must admit that I'll be glued to Tim Russert tomorrow night with his chalkboards that are scribbled over time and time again.

Extra coffee for me, its gonna be a late night and hopefully I'll be downing a couple of brews to celebrate W's re-election.

DoesKerry ever go to white houses of worship? If Bush went to a white Catholic or conservative Christ church, the media would scream bloody murder. I believe in keeping religion and politics separate.

I didn't know there were "white" houses of worship, the one I go to is open to and includes all. Yes Kerry does attend other houses of worship, and Bush attended a Catholic church in Penn. yesterday. I haven't heard the media screaming yet.

I'm curious as to what you think the Democrats should do more than they've tried to do for the African-American community to "earn" their vote, and what have the Republicans done to "earn" it. I like to think that African-Americans are at a point where they just want to be known as Americans, and have the same concerns about war, jobs, and health care as the rest of us. It's almost demeaning to say the Democrats should offer extra incentives to "earn" the African-American vote.

I didn't know there were "white" houses of worship, the one I go to is open to and includes all.  Yes Kerry does attend other houses of worship, and Bush attended a Catholic church in Penn. yesterday.  I haven't heard the media screaming yet.

As long as the houses of worship are separate but equal.

I didn't know there were "white" houses of worship, the one I go to is open to and includes all.  Yes Kerry does attend other houses of worship, and Bush attended a Catholic church in Penn. yesterday.  I haven't heard the media screaming yet.

I'm curious as to what you think the Democrats should do more than they've tried to do for the African-American community to "earn" their vote, and what have the Republicans done to "earn" it.  I like to think that African-Americans are at a point where they just want to be known as Americans, and have the same concerns about war, jobs, and health care as the rest of us.  It's almost demeaning to say the Democrats should offer extra incentives to "earn" the African-American vote.

95278[/snapback]

I don't know where you live, but here in Philadelphia there are relatively few integrated houses of worship.

Also, I am not the spokesperson for all African Americans, just for myself. I don't like being told to vote for someone just because they are a Democrat, and Democrats are "for" blacks. I think there are good people in both parties. Arlen Spector is a powerful Republican who has spoken out against racial profiling and has a good record on issues of concern to many African Americans, yet his challenger, Joe Hoeffel, whose career in the House has been undistinguished, will probably get the lion's share of the black vote because he is a Democrat.

That's why I'm an independent.