Bills Likely to Lose Crowell and Greer

H2o

Thank god you're not the GM--

Do you know anything about cap penalties?

Look, if they can sign Greer, then do it. If not, oh well... just don't pay him like the Raiders just paid Asomugha... same w/ Crowell. But I'd rather see them make a serious offer to Haynesworth and let both of them go elsewhere.

That said, you can't sign all three.

We can't just cut a bunch of people and sign all of the free agents out there.

why not, schobel and kelsay suck, poz sucks to but he's young so i;m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a guess.

I too like Crowell but I'm guessing that Crowell and the Bills mutually decided to go separate ways. I say this because we now know that Greer was offered a contract and nothing was said about an offer to Crowell. That implies none was made.

There were rumors here on the board which sounded credible that Crowell talked the talk and took the high road as his exit strategy. He was publicly conciliatory but at heart he had no desire to return. I think this is true.

The way it went down last year between Crowell and the team was ugly. In semi-retrospect, I think neither side wanted to continue on together.

This is about the only thing that makes sense as to why we wouldn't want or be able to sign Crowell. Otherwise, it's just ineptitude IMO. Actually, it's ineptitude anyway as to the way the surgery and IR was handled. It probably cost us another good player. Oh well, back to the draft board...

Crowell is an above average linebacker and should be resigned. if you cut schobel and kelsay(they suck) and sign greer, crowell, and haynesworth, we'd be alot better off. the position that still needs an upgrade is MLB, poz sucks
Thank god you're not the GM--

Do you know anything about cap penalties?

Look, if they can sign Greer, then do it. If not, oh well... just don't pay him like the Raiders just paid Asomugha... same w/ Crowell. But I'd rather see them make a serious offer to Haynesworth and let both of them go elsewhere.

That said, you can't sign all three.

We can't just cut a bunch of people and sign all of the free agents out there.

In the summer of 2007, Aaron Schobel signed a seven year extension with $20 million of guaranteed money. If we were to cut him today, we'd take a one-time cap hit of $14 million for the 2009 season.

Prior to the 2007 season, Chris Kelsay signed a four year extension with $14 million in guaranteed money. If he was released today, we'd eat $7 million in dead space because of him.

Releasing the two players would create $21 million in dead space under the cap. On the other hand, we wouldn't be liable for their 2009 salaries, so the short-term cap hit would be considerably less than $21 million. I wasn't able to find a year-by-year breakdown for the players' salaries. However, Schobel averages about $4 million a year in non-guaranteed money over the life of his contract; and Kelsay averages about $2 million a year in non-guaranteed money. Using those two averages as a (very) rough estimate, the net cap hit for cutting those two players would be about $15 million.

The Bills are $27 million under the salary cap. If the Bills were to cut Kelsay and Schobel (thus taking a one-time hit of $15 million), they would still be $12 million under the cap. Note that under this scenario, we'd get that $21 million in dead space back in 2010; creating a total available cap room (all else being equal) of $33 million.

The thing to note about both the Kelsay and Schobel contracts is that both guys were given a very large amount of guaranteed money, and neither player has lived up to his big payday. Cutting them will rid us of their ongoing salaries, but we'd still be on the hook for the guaranteed money.

Given that, I fully expect to see Schobel in a Bills uniform for the 2009 season. With the way his contract is structured, the Bills have a strong incentive to give him the benefit of the doubt for the 2008 season. There's always the chance he'll return to his old form (more or less) once he's healed from his foot injury. Add in the fact that DE is a need position, even with a healthy Schobel on the roster, and there's a strong incentive for the Bills to keep him.

Haynesworth will get mad money. But red flags are that he didn't start to dominate until his contract years (the last 2 years), he's missed 22 games the past 6 years, and he had that incident with Gurode. My concern is the Bills give him the best offer, and he becomes another Dockery.

Scroll down and check out these pearls of wisdom from Schonert:

Turk Schonert on the subject of the Bills’ burning time outs during the season:

It happens with everybody. New England wasted a time out against us. Did anyone say anything about it? No, because they won the game. You saw how many teams had to burn time outs in the playoffs. It happens. As long as it doesn’t happen all the time and five times a game. But through the course of the season it’s going to happen. You look at where the spots are. You’re getting a spotter say it’s third and two but then it’s really third and one. Or we’re closer than we thought or we’re further than we thought.

“Then there were times where all of a sudden I call for Marshawn and Fred to be in the game, but I’m told Marshawn’s out. So now we have to adjust. There’s things that happen during the course of the season that are going to cause you to get a play in a little late. So you go. You try to get it off. If you’ve got to burn a time out, you burn a time out. I learned from [Hall of Famer] Bill Walsh. He said first half time outs are overrated. If you’ve got to use one you use one, don’t make a big deal out of it. I don’t know why so many people make a big deal out of time outs. If you don’t score at the end of the first half, you don’t score. You go into half time, you regroup, you’ve got a whole half to go. If you’ve got to run a two minute drill with no time outs in the first half you do it. The second half is a different story.”

Scroll down and check out these pearls of wisdom from Schonert:

Turk Schonert on the subject of the Bills’ burning time outs during the season:

It happens with everybody. New England wasted a time out against us. Did anyone say anything about it? No, because they won the game. You saw how many teams had to burn time outs in the playoffs. It happens. As long as it doesn’t happen all the time and five times a game. But through the course of the season it’s going to happen. You look at where the spots are. You’re getting a spotter say it’s third and two but then it’s really third and one. Or we’re closer than we thought or we’re further than we thought.

“Then there were times where all of a sudden I call for Marshawn and Fred to be in the game, but I’m told Marshawn’s out. So now we have to adjust. There’s things that happen during the course of the season that are going to cause you to get a play in a little late. So you go. You try to get it off. If you’ve got to burn a time out, you burn a time out. I learned from [Hall of Famer] Bill Walsh. He said first half time outs are overrated. If you’ve got to use one you use one, don’t make a big deal out of it. I don’t know why so many people make a big deal out of time outs. If you don’t score at the end of the first half, you don’t score. You go into half time, you regroup, you’ve got a whole half to go. If you’ve got to run a two minute drill with no time outs in the first half you do it. The second half is a different story.”

Translation: I'm the offensive coordinator and no one should ever question me because I watch film 80 hours per week and knew Bill Walsh.

Haynesworth will get mad money. But red flags are that he didn't start to dominate until his contract years (the last 2 years), he's missed 22 games the past 6 years, and he had that incident with Gurode. My concern is the Bills give him the best offer, and he becomes another Dockery.

Thank you! You saved me from having to post this! Hyanesworth had a great season, but he isn't getting younger, and has a history of underperforming... if I was taking a gamble on a D-lineman, I would much prefer J Peppers... up and down as well, but with much more upside...

Is anybody actually surprised at this?

Greer will make a killing in free agency, he deserves it since the Bills never committed to him. I wish him the best.

Crowell is coming off an injury and the Bills tossed him on IR which was prob an over reaction potentially costing him tons of money in FA this season. If I was him I wouldn't come back to the Bills, he needs a fresh start.

Is anybody actually surprised at this?

Greer will make a killing in free agency, he deserves it since the Bills never committed to him. I wish him the best.

Crowell is coming off an injury and the Bills tossed him on IR which was prob an over reaction potentially costing him tons of money in FA this season. If I was him I wouldn't come back to the Bills, he needs a fresh start.

It was his fault. They told him to get the operation done about 5 weeks earlier. He waited till the week before the season opener to get it done. That was stupidity on his part. We have pretty good doctors here in Buffalo as evidenced by the Kevin Everett situation. If they tell you that you need to get a procedure done then don't put it off. He really stuck it to us by waiting until the end of preseason to get the surgery and not in the beginning when he could've been ready by week 1 or week 2. I'm not sympathetic for Crowell on this one.

Thank you! You saved me from having to post this! Hyanesworth had a great season, but he isn't getting younger, and has a history of underperforming... if I was taking a gamble on a D-lineman, I would much prefer J Peppers... up and down as well, but with much more upside...

What you are saying is just plain stupid. Haynesworth is one of the best if not the best D lineman in the game. Plus he is one mean SOB on the field. If you hadn't noticed we NEED that kind of player. NOONE on our defense plays with a big chip on their shoulder. (Including Marcus Stroud) Put him and Stroud together with Kyle Williams and another young stud as your 3 and 4 D tackles and you have as stout a D line as anyones in the league. We need game changers with attitude. That is why we have not made the playoffs in 9 frickin seasons.. Everyone can rip on the coaches all they want, but look at the lack of talent across the team except at RB. That is the BIG PROBLEM!!! Signing Haynesworth is a step in the right direction!!!

It was his fault. They told him to get the operation done about 5 weeks earlier. He waited till the week before the season opener to get it done. That was stupidity on his part. We have pretty good doctors here in Buffalo as evidenced by the Kevin Everett situation. If they tell you that you need to get a procedure done then don't put it off. He really stuck it to us by waiting until the end of preseason to get the surgery and not in the beginning when he could've been ready by week 1 or week 2. I'm not sympathetic for Crowell on this one.

By the way H2o, Crowell was placed on IR before he had the surgery.

He ended up having the surgery about 2-3 weeks after the season opener. Many people think that when he stated his intention to get surgery that Brandon put him on IR out of spite and anger.

Regardless, it was an ugly situation, there's two sides to the story, we'll never know the truth, and I'd be surprised to see Crowell play for the Bills again.

By the way H2o, Crowell was placed on IR before he had the surgery.

He ended up having the surgery about 2-3 weeks after the season opener. Many people think that when he stated his intention to get surgery that Brandon put him on IR out of spite and anger.

Regardless, it was an ugly situation, there's two sides to the story, we'll never know the truth, and I'd be surprised to see Crowell play for the Bills again.

It really doesn't matter. The guy took himself out of the season. He could have taken care of himself anytime before the season started.

Bye bye Angie. Go see what an LB from Buffalo coming off IR is worth on the open market.

I'm not sympathetic either, but the Bills tossing him on IR was a bit of an over reaction due to the Peters situation. I don't feel bad for him, but there's bad blood and he needs a fresh start.

What you are saying is just plain stupid. Haynesworth is one of the best if not the best D lineman in the game. Plus he is one mean SOB on the field. If you hadn't noticed we NEED that kind of player. NOONE on our defense plays with a big chip on their shoulder. (Including Marcus Stroud) Put him and Stroud together with Kyle Williams and another young stud as your 3 and 4 D tackles and you have as stout a D line as anyones in the league. We need game changers with attitude. That is why we have not made the playoffs in 9 frickin seasons.. Everyone can rip on the coaches all they want, but look at the lack of talent across the team except at RB. That is the BIG PROBLEM!!! Signing Haynesworth is a step in the right direction!!!

I agree with all of that...but the "chip on his shoulder" that motivates Haynesworth is his salary... once he gets the contract it would take to land him in Buffalo, is that chip still going to be there? He isn't a kid anymore. The Titans have similar concerns about his motivation. The Bills, given the self imposed limitations they have, really cannot afford to spend poorly, on a free agent.

I'm not sympathetic either, but the Bills tossing him on IR was a bit of an over reaction due to the Peters situation. I don't feel bad for him, but there's bad blood and he needs a fresh start.

His knee needed the more extensive procedure he ultimately had. Had he had the more limited one (to allow him to return to play in 2008), he still would have been out for 4-6 weeks and his knee still wouldn't have been 100%. The Bills did him a favor by paying him $1.75M and allowing him to get his knee properly treated, after his dumb decision to delay surgery. In an ideal world he'd sign a 1-year cheap deal with the Bills, have a monster season, and then hit UFA in 2010. But that's not going to happen and he won't get any big offers on the market, and probably the 1-year deal I mentioned.

He is only willing to make amends with the Bills because deep down he knows in the NFL he has no bargaining leverage. At best he is looking at a one year, $1 mil offer from some team