Nnamdi making bank

Zulu Cthulhu

Of course, paying that kind of cash is the only way anyone in their right mind would want to sign with the raiders. Not a bad move by Nnamdi. He's making a guaranteed 45-50 million, or a guaranteed 28.5 million with a chance to cash in again as a FA in 2 years.

Which makes you wonder what the hell the raiders are thinking. When you break down the numbers, they've basically just agreed to franchise tag him for the next 2-3 years.

This absolutely pisses me off!! Tommy Kelly last year, Nmamd this year. It fu&ks up the whole process and what is justifiable pay or not.

Whatever.

At least this signing and Tommy Kelly's insures that there is one less possible contender in the AFC.

Well the one thing I would say is that Nnamdi is by far the best cornerback in the league right now IMHO. If anyone deserves that money (and I'm not making the judgement) he does, or at least he deserves to be the highest paid cornerback in the league. He would deserve to be highest paid even if he was a thug. But he's not a thug. He seems to be a pretty special person too.

I have never seen a cornerback dominate receivers the way he does. You have to watch the games to appreciate it. It's way beyond the statistics.

By the way, Darrelle Revis looks like he has a chance to be very special too although it's very early yet for him.

I have never seen a cornerback dominate receivers the way he does. You have to watch the games to appreciate it. It's way beyond the statistics.

Agreed. What was that ridiculous stat before the Raiders cut Deangelo Hall? They threw at Hall 130 or so times and threw at Asomugha like 8 times?!

So what happens to the market when this goes down? The first thing is that every CB's asking price goes up $1M. Sure - but since this doesn't affect the salary cap, there's no change in the amount of money out there for free agents. So something has to come down in response - is it just spread out over all the other positions?

So what happens to the market when this goes down? The first thing is that every CB's asking price goes up $1M. Sure - but since this doesn't affect the salary cap, there's no change in the amount of money out there for free agents. So something has to come down in response - is it just spread out over all the other positions?

I don't think it does. Since Asomugha is so much better than the FA corners, how can they argue they deserve more money based on a single players performance? Plus look who's giving out the deal...Looney Davis. I think this is an isolated contract in terms of the big money...Until another player of his caliber arrives, but players that good don't come very often.

I don't think it does. Since Asomugha is so much better than the FA corners, how can they argue they deserve more money based on a single players performance? Plus look who's giving out the deal...Looney Davis. I think this is an isolated contract in terms of the big money...Until another player of his caliber arrives, but players that good don't come very often.

Fair enough - but what about the $8M for Hayden?

Of course, paying that kind of cash is the only way anyone in their right mind would want to sign with the raiders. Not a bad move by Nnamdi. He's making a guaranteed 45-50 million, or a guaranteed 28.5 million with a chance to cash in again as a FA in 2 years.

Which makes you wonder what the hell the raiders are thinking. When you break down the numbers, they've basically just agreed to franchise tag him for the next 2-3 years.

You know, I have heard a few announcers on Sirius say that he is the best corner in the NFL. For the sake of this conversation, let's assume that he is. I am still going to make the case that this was the dumbest signing that I have ever seen in all my years of being a football fan. I know nothing about that local economy, but I imagine that it sucks, and if that particular team starts losing (almost inevitable), are fans going to even attend games? How many car commercials, etc. will we be seeing if the economy continues to tank? That is only the economic side of the equation.

In a football sense, it is even more stupid. Unlike quarterbacks, blockers, defensive linemen and perhaps even middle linebackers, you can move the game away from corners. They have tens of millions invested in Jamarcus Russell, and their OL sucks. If you are going to overpay, why not offer Birk or Saturday 10 or 12 million per year? Or, make a play for Haynesworth?

They have a history of this. Years ago, they franchised a corner (was it Woodson)? He had been injured and not having his best year. The tag was pretty high. He had a great agent, and he signed the offer before the ink was dry. He made the big bucks and got yet another huge contract a year later.

Between the Bills and the Raiders, I am seeing a trend here. It isn't an exact match, but a pattern of stupidity does exist. They focus on corners, and both of the owners are geriatric AFL guys. Oh.....both teams continue to lose. :sick: