Kelvin Hayden signs HUGE deal

K-Gun10

This is why the current CBA is a joke.

Absolutely! Average players are getting all pro money, which in turn raises the bar for all pro money and it just spins out of control. This is happening again to hockey as well, I can see another lock out in the near future.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you guarantee someone will trade for him after he is franchised? That is a very expensive risk.

Agreed. Because the second greer signs the tag, he's guaranteed his 9 million from either us or someone else. You can't tag him and simply expect to get someone who will give up picks for him. Its akin to trading down. Too many people think its as simple as blinking your eyes. You franchise greer and some team will magically trade something for him. And what about the contract demands. The new team is going to sign him to a long term deal. Greer can then play hard ball with potential trade partners because he knows he's got a guaranteed 9 mil.

Tagging and trading may be a good idea for players that want to leave, but only if they are worth the tag value. If you dont think Jabari Greer is worth 10 million per season, then you can't tag him and *expect* someone to trade for him.

No tag for Greer. He's a good Cb, but it never ceases to amaze me how teams overpay for this position. How did Bly work out for the Broncos? Clements for the 49ers? Did we suffer without Clements?

It's just not a position that has the impact to justify this crazy money.

Trade him if you can't sign him. How will we be worse off?

You can't trade him now. He is a free agent.

Agreed. Because the second greer signs the tag, he's guaranteed his 9 million from either us or someone else. You can't tag him and simply expect to get someone who will give up picks for him. Its akin to trading down. Too many people think its as simple as blinking your eyes. You franchise greer and some team will magically trade something for him. And what about the contract demands. The new team is going to sign him to a long term deal. Greer can then play hard ball with potential trade partners because he knows he's got a guaranteed 9 mil.

Tagging and trading may be a good idea for players that want to leave, but only if they are worth the tag value. If you dont think Jabari Greer is worth 10 million per season, then you can't tag him and *expect* someone to trade for him.

Supply of solid CB's on the market will be minimal. Demand will be high and the risk of tagging Greer is more than balanced by the need several teams have for a CB. As more CB's are unavailable, those left will get paid money none of think is rational. I know if I was running a team, I'd much rather have a CB with NFL experience than a first round pick who is untested. Someone with plenty of cap space (and there are several) will overpay for a guy like Greer. It doesn't make sense, but the demand to win now is the reason these guys get paid so much.

Taking a calculated risk like this is not as big as some are making it out to be.

Colts Hayden signing means big $$ for Greer

By Chris Brown - Posted February 19th, 2009

With the Colts re-signing impending free agent CB Kelvin Hayden to a deal that averages more than $8M per season, things are looking awfully good for Bills free agent to be Jabari Greer.

NFL Network’s Adam Schefter is reporting it to be a 5-year deal worth $43.5M with a huge $22.5M guaranteed. Prior to the offseason the Giants signed CB Corey Webster to a similar deal (5-$43.5M-$20M guaranteed).

Just looking at the career stats of all three players they’re comparable. Hayden (27 starts, 6 INTs), Greer (26 starts, 4 INTs), Webster (31 starts, 5 INTs).

Much like I indicated after the Webster signing in December, Greer could very well be looking at close to $8M per season.

Tags: Corey Webster, Jabari Greer, Kelvin Hayden

$8 mil for a CB I've never heard of?!? WTF!

Let me help you out there, he's the dude that returned an interception for a touchdown in the Colts' Superbowl victory 3 years ago.

That should jog the memory bank.

Which was his only interception of the season, other than that you would have never heard of him.

Which was his only interception of the season, other than that you would have never heard of him.

If Bill Polian wanted to re-sign him, I'm pretty sure he's still a very good player. Same goes for almost anyone Jerry Reese, Ozzie Newsome, and Bill Belichick signs for their teams.

I'll give Polian the benefit of the doubt when it comes to who to re-sign and who not to.

If Bill Polian wanted to re-sign him, I'm pretty sure he's still a very good player. Same goes for almost anyone Jerry Reese, Ozzie Newsome, and Bill Belichick signs for their teams.

I'll give Polian the benefit of the doubt when it comes to who to re-sign and who not to.

I agee, just saying the guy pretty much is an unknown in the league (at least amongst fans)...

I agee, just saying the guy pretty much is an unknown in the league (at least amongst fans)...

Not trying to determine your fanhood here or beat my chest, but I've known of Hayden since he was drafted. Polian took him the year before he lost Nick Harper and Jason David to UFA.

Hope you didn't take that as me talking down to you. It wasn't my purpose there.

Not trying to determine your fanhood here or beat my chest, but I've known of Hayden since he was drafted. Polian took him the year before he lost Nick Harper and Jason David to UFA.

Hope you didn't take that as me talking down to you. It wasn't my purpose there.

Not at all, and I am very familiar with him as well. But ask the average fan to name the top CB's in the league and I wouldn't think his name would come up often. He had one great play on the game's biggest stage, other than that he's been a solid, but quiet, corner...

Not at all, and I am very familiar with him as well. But ask the average fan to name the top CB's in the league and I wouldn't think his name would come up often. He had one great play on the game's biggest stage, other than that he's been a solid, but quiet, corner...

I would agree, he's not the most household name in the league. Corey Webster of NYG got a similar deal and he's not widely known either. It's a big league, and some players operate under the radar.

I would agree, he's not the most household name in the league. Corey Webster of NYG got a similar deal and he's not widely known either. It's a big league, and some players operate under the radar.

Which is the whole point of this thread, 8 Million per season for 2 relatively unknown players. The money is just out of hand. But in this league, if you want to keep your young talent, you have to overpay at times. Just the nature of the beast...

Which is the whole point of this thread, 8 Million per season for 2 relatively unknown players. The money is just out of hand. But in this league, if you want to keep your young talent, you have to overpay at times. Just the nature of the beast...

Even though average fans don't know a given player doesn't mean that teams don't know. And that's what ultimately counts. Hayden was a contributor to Indy's defense, and Bill Polian rarely re-signs LB's and CB's. Usually he replaces those guys through the draft, but in this case he made a huge exception.

NFL teams win games sometimes on the backs of less than publicized players. And today, Hayden got his due with that contract.

I don't believe for a minute the Bills will franchise Greer, but as fans we should hope so. Whether they keep him or trade him. I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about saving Ralph's money for him. The team is around $25M under the cap going into free agency, they'll never spend to the limit, and they won't even think about trying to carry it over. Greer is not great, but this is the economics of NFL at the moment. He's a good player, and their roster is weakened by his absence. The sticker shock some fans are feeling is only there because top salaries for free agent position players have not moved proportionately with the cap over the last decade. Now they are catching up quickly as teams are no longer in cap crisis and are spending money trying to compete just as they did back in the late 1990's.

Last offseason, people flipped out about Tommy Kelly's deal in Oakland, when in fact it didn't average much if any more than the extension Ted Washington signed with Buffalo in 1998($6.5M per). And today, the $8M for Greer would be quite commensurate to the contract a lesser cornerback by the name of Ken Irvin once signed with the Bills that averaged just over $3M per when the cap was only about $50M. Difference being that franchising Greer is a one year committment with no ramifications for next offseason, while the Irvin deal ended up having to be extended at significant cap cost to the team.

Supply and demand. Demand for quality young veteran players is high, but because teams are flush with cap room, supply is short in free agency. The Bills have a rich history of letting good players leave in FA because they felt comfortable with their other players at those positions, only to find themselves using high draft picks to replenish those positions only a year or two later. For once I'd like to see them be pro-active.

No tag for Greer. He's a good Cb, but it never ceases to amaze me how teams overpay for this position. How did Bly work out for the Broncos? Clements for the 49ers? Did we suffer without Clements?

It's just not a position that has the impact to justify this crazy money.

Trade him if you can't sign him. How will we be worse off?

Dude, you can't trade him without franchising him. His contract has ended.