More newspaper coverage consolidation

Details of the arrangement are still being finalized, but the papers say they will enhance each other's coverage by exchanging articles, photographs and graphics.

ie... "We just figured out how to cut 30-50 people from each newspaper."

I don't know if it'll go that high ... but I *do* wonder if this means no more NYC road trips for Bills or Sabres games there, and vice-versa when a New Yawk team visits Buffalo.

On a smaller scale, Olean Times Herald Bonnies beat writer J.P. Butler has pulled double duty for several home games this year -- he strings a short recap for a paper that covers the visiting school but won't make the trip to SBU, then writes his longer gamer/sidebar/notebook for his own gig. Lucky for him, the OTH is still a p.m. paper.

In fact, I've even had a couple of calls from people who know I live in the area, including one for last Saturday's Bona-UMass game. (I had to work at my real job that night, though, so no dice.)

One of my favorite things of all time, is to get up at the crack of dawn on Sundays, go to a cozy diner, by myself, order a nice breakfest, and peruse as many newspapers as I can get my hands on. I haven't done it in some time, as newspapers are getting harder to find... when I lived in NYC, I would pick about 5 different Sunday papers from around the country (2 NYC papers, Buffalo News, Washington Post, and a paper from whatever city the Bills were playing that day)... I miss that. This internet thing is cool, but gimmie a good newspaper any day...no carpal involved!

Tex and GBID, this one might interest you. Supposedly, the DMN is ending its sports-swapping with the Startlegram. Dallas folks apparently don't care for the early deadlines in Fort Worth -- which, rumor has it, are about to get even earlier.

Of course, that probably won't stop either paper from making more cuts ...

We did that 6-8 weeks ago...now it is more regionalized...not much more work, but they gutted the hell out of the smaller paper.

If you're where I think you are, I know one of the people who got laid off from that smaller paper.

One of my favorite things of all time, is to get up at the crack of dawn on Sundays, go to a cozy diner, by myself, order a nice breakfest, and peruse as many newspapers as I can get my hands on. I haven't done it in some time, as newspapers are getting harder to find... when I lived in NYC, I would pick about 5 different Sunday papers from around the country (2 NYC papers, Buffalo News, Washington Post, and a paper from whatever city the Bills were playing that day)... I miss that. This internet thing is cool, but gimmie a good newspaper any day...no carpal involved!

Sadly, it's quickly becoming a bygone era thing.. :lol: