Auto Bailout - Can somebody help explain something?

EZC-Boston

I was watching Fox Business this morning and they were saying that GM crunched the numbers and it will be cheaper for the government to give them the $16 billion or whatever they are asking for than for GM to declare bankruptcy. I don't understand how that would be the case. I think it had something to do with the role the government would play in the bankruptcy proceedings. I'm not looking for a fight or a debate, just to understand what is going on.

Thanks!

I was watching Fox Business this morning and they were saying that GM crunched the numbers and it will be cheaper for the government to give them the $16 billion or whatever they are asking for than for GM to declare bankruptcy. I don't understand how that would be the case. I think it had something to do with the role the government would play in the bankruptcy proceedings. I'm not looking for a fight or a debate, just to understand what is going on.

Thanks!

Because of the downstream effects of GM's bankruptcy. They subcontract to a whole bunch of small companies that'd likely go belly up if GM closed their doors "on paper".

Because of the downstream effects of GM's bankruptcy. They subcontract to a whole bunch of small companies that'd likely go belly up if GM closed their doors "on paper".

I wonder if they were counting the last bailout, the next one, or just the current one?

I wonder if they were counting the last bailout, the next one, or just the current one?

I don't think it really matters. The government is virtually always going to step in and spend money to alleviate short term pain with the long term consequences being ignored. The historical evidence is overwhelming.

Yeah according to figures produced by GM.....I'm sure I hope the goverment has also researched the impact of passing or not passing an automobile bailout but I'm not so sure after what happened in the fall when they bailed out the banks.

"Heres 700 billion dollars....spend it however you want" :doh:

Uncle Sam