Remember that last GM bailout

/dev/null

Wow, didn't see that coming. Don't put away that chequebook yet Obama. <_<

Obama's already floating Stimulus II (see today's papers), and neither stimulus addresses the bad bank issues, which are likely another 2 trillion dollar mess.

Things will get worse before they get better. The good news is that most of the bad news is now out there. The bad news is that there's a lot of bad news and no one's quite figured out how to un!@#$ the system.

Wasn't quite enough. They need another $30B or so <_<

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GM-needs-up-...b-14392493.html

GM and the UAW have mismanaged the situation for years. They both buried their heads in car parts and failed to acknowledge their cost structure was anything but competitive. As a taxpayer I hope I do not have to eat the cost of this. However, the reality is that taxpayers will - If GM fails the costs of medical care and unemploment will hit all of us.

Don't worry. The politicians from both parties will continue to "save" us from their 50 years of bad decisions by printing more money we don't have, taking it from people who don't have it to give to people who don't deserve it.

And the best part is the vast majority will continue to argue that the other party is actually the problem.

Don't worry. The politicians from both parties will continue to "save" us from their 50 years of bad decisions by printing more money we don't have, taking it from people who don't have it to give to people who don't deserve it.

And the best part is the vast majority will continue to argue that the other party is actually the problem.

Amen brother

Obama's already floating Stimulus II (see today's papers), and neither stimulus addresses the bad bank issues, which are likely another 2 trillion dollar mess.

Things will get worse before they get better. The good news is that most of the bad news is now out there. The bad news is that there's a lot of bad news and no one's quite figured out how to un!@#$ the system.

Yes they have.

Saddle everyone who has money or plans for a career with an obligation of 50k, and use that money to run the stimulus programs (money for planned parenthood, tuition subsidies to colleges, jobs for ditch diggers and UAW members, etc) for a few years.

Then repeat.

I truly hope that Ford pulls through this mess without borrowing a dime.

I'd like to know that there would be at least 1 American manufacturer that I would be willing to consider buying a car from.

I went to the Philly Auto Show a few weeks ago and sat in or looked inside every major automobile I could. From just the show-room (not the road) perspective, it's easy to see why American cars don't sell. GM and Chevy have zero appeal. Like you, I really wanted to like a Ford/Lincoln product (because they are not in the dumper) but I had a hard time, even looking at the newer better models.

FWIW, I also wasn't impressed with Nissan/Infiniti or Honda/Acura.

I went to the Philly Auto Show a few weeks ago and sat in or looked inside every major automobile I could. From just the show-room (not the road) perspective, it's easy to see why American cars don't sell. GM and Chevy have zero appeal. Like you, I really wanted to like a Ford/Lincoln product (because they are not in the dumper) but I had a hard time, even looking at the newer better models.

At this point I've just pretty well written off ever buying another GM or Chrysler product.

I'm not that crazy about Ford's lineup, but if they pull through this without a bailout, I would at least consider buying a car from them. When the time comes for me to get a new car, I'd probably go ahead pencil them in to test drive whatever model I'm interested in just to give them as fair a shake as possible. Hopefully they'll improve their lineup by that time...

At this point I've just pretty well written off ever buying another GM or Chrysler product.

I'm not that crazy about Ford's lineup, but if they pull through this without a bailout, I would at least consider buying a car from them. When the time comes for me to get a new car, I'd probably go ahead pencil them in to test drive whatever model I'm interested in just to give them as fair a shake as possible. Hopefully they'll improve their lineup by that time...

If I had any use for a pickup other than once a year, I'd buy an F150. The new Taurus looks OK and there's no denying that their SYNC technology is pretty cool.

I agree. I just wasn't wowed enough at the car show to even give 'em a try. Even at the Lincoln level.

I missed the show this year in Balt., but I used to go to them for years. Quite frankly, it didn't even seem like GM and the rest were even trying. Like you said, their appeal to (especially to upper middle class) is non-existent.

I missed the show this year in Balt., but I used to go to them for years. Quite frankly, it didn't even seem like GM and the rest were even trying. Like you said, their appeal to (especially to upper middle class) is non-existent.

I would revise that a little bit. If I were in the market for a huge truckmonster, I love the Escalade. My cousin has one and it's amazing for what it is. For me, it makes no sense (setting aside the price issue). If I wanted a pickup, I'd get an F150.

For anything in the sedan range, I have no interest. The Fords made me look harder this year because they have come a long way but I still didn't feel it. But as much as I'd like to buy American to support Ford, if I'm not spending 25K on a car that I don't like.